Do I need an alignment?

JDOLORES0520

I have an 01 Jeep Wrangler with a 2” lift sitting on 32 MT tires. I feel it pull to the left/right driving highway speeds or driving over any bumps/cracks on the roads will make it swing either to the left or right. Les Schwab said its fine but i don’t believe them. You gotta white knuckle it most of the time. Do i need to adjust the casters? Get an alignment? Thanks

do-i-need-an-alignment-caster-adjustment-v0-ztaf5434hema1.jpg

Your alignment specs are within specs and fine for 32's. What air pressure are you running in your 32's? Did anyone install a dropped Pitman arm?

These TJ's have such a short wheelbase, that even a slight variation in alignment, tire condition, tire pressure, etc. will require continuous over-correction and re-correction while driving, especially at freeway speeds.

If the specs of the alignment are good, check tire pressures and such.
If all of that 'seems' good, swap your front tires around and see if the 'pull' moves too; it could be from something as simple as uneven tire wear or cupping, which could be difficult to see.

I have an 01 Jeep Wrangler with a 2” lift sitting on 32 MT tires. I feel it pull to the left/right driving highway speeds or driving over any bumps/cracks on the roads will make it swing either to the left or right. Les Schwab said its fine but i don’t believe them. You gotta white knuckle it most of the time. Do i need to adjust the casters? Get an alignment? Thanks

View attachment 405528

I'd say you could at least use a little more toe "IN", especially with having larger tires than stock. Being "within" specs does not mean it's optimum. The darting also makes me suspect that your steering damper might also need some attention.

Something that you need to keep in mind is the alignment specs shown on almost all alignment computers is based off of stock specs like tire size and suspension height. Larger tires have more rolling resistance so adding a little more toe in than what "stock" calls for is typical practice for techs that know how everything works together.

The Caster is a little on the low side but to correct it you'll need adjustable control arms if you don't already have them. The cam bolts bolts (if someone already did the alignment) most likely wont bring it back.

Last edited: