Do I need an axle truss or differential armor?

So what's the solution on aftermarket axle housings (i.e. Currie RockJock, etc.)? Do they include a much beefier inner C with strengthened upper ball joint holes?
That would be my guess. The real solution may be a tougher axle. If you're pounding out the axle that badly, it's time for an aftermarket axle or a set of Dana 60's.

Edited to add: Went out to the Currie site and did a little digging around. They use a custom designed, forged inner C. It's a lot beefier than the stock units in all the right places. Just what you would expect from Currie, and the price.

Last edited:
That would be my guess. The real solution may be a tougher axle. If you're pounding out the axle that badly, it's time for an aftermarket axle or a set of Dana 60's.

First world problems man! I've never even come close I imagine. But as I have said before, I realized I'm not really the rock crawling type. I'm mostly doing overland stuff, so I'm not ever really pounding on the axles that bad.

Reactions: StG58
First world problems man! I've never even come close I imagine. But as I have said before, I realized I'm not really the rock crawling type. I'm mostly doing overland stuff, so I'm not ever really pounding on the axles that bad.
No kidding. If I ever think I'm going to beat on my TJ that badly, I'll start with a custom frame and build out from there. I could see needing that kind of strength in places, even here in Oregon. Going that route would completely kill my ability to go where I go now. I'll sit back and admire the tough rock crawlers from my camp chair with an iced Bourbon in my hand. There's a whole world of add-ons and modifications that I don't need and can't use. On the other hand, they are way cool to look at and fun to discuss.

Reactions: Chris
I gotta say the Dana 30 isn't that weak, for the most part. Yeah, it has it's weak spots, but I've beat on mine moderately with no complaints from it so far. I think its saving grace for me is the smaller, lighter tires I run, and a little bit a forethought whilst negotiating obstacles. I've done the Rubicon, and Moab, and a few other moderate trails without any carnage, other than scraped up lower control arm brackets and a dented oil pan(on my list to get a skid for).

Reactions: Chris
No kidding. If I ever think I'm going to beat on my TJ that badly, I'll start with a custom frame and build out from there. I could see needing that kind of strength in places, even here in Oregon. Going that route would completely kill my ability to go where I go now. I'll sit back and admire the tough rock crawlers from my camp chair with an iced Bourbon in my hand. There's a whole world of add-ons and modifications that I don't need and can't use. On the other hand, they are way cool to look at and fun to discuss.

That's my thought as well. If I want to really bash the crap out of something, I'll buy a second vehicle with the sole intention of building it to bash with and trailering it. It's kind of hard to have a vehicle that you daily drive but bash the piss out of. Know what I mean?

Edited to add: Went out to the Currie site and did a little digging around. They use a custom designed, forged inner C. It's a lot beefier than the stock units in all the right places. Just what you would expect from Currie, and the price.
For the TJ knuckle or the JK knuckle?

I gotta say the Dana 30 isn't that weak, for the most part. Yeah, it has it's weak spots, but I've beat on mine moderately with no complaints from it so far. I think its saving grace for me is the smaller, lighter tires I run, and a little bit a forethought whilst negotiating obstacles. I've done the Rubicon, and Moab, and a few other moderate trails without any carnage, other than scraped up lower control arm brackets and a dented oil pan(on my list to get a skid for).
I've had that discussion with several gear companies. Their position on warranty for gear sets is basic. If you need to take advantage of it more than once, it's time for a bigger axle. More than one means you bought a set, blew them up, warrantied them and now you want a third set. Not gonna happen.

I've had that discussion with several gear companies. Their position on warranty for gear sets is basic. If you need to take advantage of it more than once, it's time for a bigger axle. More than one means you bought a set, blew them up, warrantied them and now you want a third set. Not gonna happen.

That sounds like a fair warranty to me. No way they can warranty it every single time, because I'm sure some of these bashers would be putting them out of business.

For the TJ knuckle or the JK knuckle?
Unless I misread it, it was a Dana 44 for the TJ. Currie was having troubles getting the TJ inner C's, so they designed and had forged new Dana 44 inner C's to their specs. The cores that they were getting had a high enough reject rate it was becoming uneconomical to try and use them. The JK front axle is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Did I misunderstand what I read?

Last edited: