Do I need shocks?

dodj

Jeep rides decent, but not fantastic, down the highway. Rolling along at 55mph all is fine and steady. Then a dip in the road. Jeep will sway in a lazy back and forth. Not a jerking or anything and definitely controllable but not ideal. Stressful for the passenger...lol
My Jeep has a 2" spacer lift, 245/75R16 Duratrac load range E tires - no idea why the PO put LR 'E' 80psi tires on this thing. Rear shocks look newer than fronts. Says "Rock Tamer" on the plastic guard. Never heard of them. Recently passed certification for roadworthiness if that matters.
Any insights as to why I'm swaying? I'm thinking shocks......Yea?...Nay?

Of course I'm not running 80psi!! More like 78.....

They are 245/75/R16 Duratracs
Any shock recommendations? I bought Bilsteins for my truck a few years ago and thought they were decent...
OMG 78 psi is still WAY WAY too high. That 80 psi molded onto the tire's sidewall is only its maximum safe air pressure and would only be the correct pressure to run if the tire was forced to carry its maximum permissible weight which would not be safe as there'd be no safety margin.

Since your tires are probably only carrying 1/3 of their maximum safe weight you should not be running that much air pressure. Not to mention that tire is mounted on various vehicles with differing weights so no single air pressure would be correct for all vehicle weights. 80 psi would not be the correct pressure for any automotive use since tires are required to have a safety margin so far as the weight they actually carry is concerned.

Your tire size is essentially a 31" which is what Wrangler Rubicons came with and the factory specified air pressure for that size tire, per the sticker on the door jam, is 33 psi. And that's even for a less stiff D Load Rating, your E Load Rated tire could even be a couple psi less than that.

For now I'd immediately lower to to no more than 33 psi but I personally would run an E load rated 31" tire more like 30-31 psi.

And for shocks it's real hard to beat the ride and offroad control of the gas-charged Rancho RS5000x. Don't confuse it with the older much stiffer riding hydraulic RS5000 which is not recommended for a Wrangler.

There are many threads on this forum about shocks, and the general consensus right now is that the best bang for buck can be found in the Skyjacker Black Max or Rancho 5000X (not 5000). Of course you can also spend a lot of money on something much better, if you'd like.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
OMG 78 psi is still WAY WAY too high. That 80 psi molded onto the tire's sidewall is only its maximum safe air pressure and would only be the correct pressure to run if the tire was forced to carry its maximum permissible weight which would not be safe as there'd be no safety margin.

Since your tires are probably only carrying 1/3 of their maximum safe weight you should not be running that much air pressure. Not to mention that tire is mounted on various vehicles with differing weights so no single air pressure would be correct for all vehicle weights. 80 psi would not be the correct pressure for any automotive use since tires are required to have a safety margin so far as the weight they actually carry is concerned.

Your tire size is essentially a 31" which is what Wrangler Rubicons came with and the factory specified air pressure for that size tire, per the sticker on the door jam, is 33 psi. And that's even for a less stiff D Load Rating, your E Load Rated tire could even be a couple psi less than that.

For now I'd immediately lower to to no more than 33 psi but I personally would run an E load rated 31" tire more like 30-31 psi.

I run 27psi in my Duratracs... they ride and handle nice...PO had em at 36...big difference...

Funny you should mention that artsifrtsi.....

Sway Link.jpg

Ya, I imagine. Didn't notice the broken link yesterday, it was sitting like it was still attached. Moved the Jeep...and it became apparent.

Looking for a sway link and they appear to be all eye-to-eye. This one is eye-to-joint. Aftermarket sway bar maybe?

Lol...everytime I ask a Jeep question...it generates more..guess I'll google disconnecting links next...:unsure:

Lol...everytime I ask a Jeep question...it generates more..guess I'll google disconnecting links next...:unsure:

They are just sway bar links that have an end that allows for a tool-free disconnection, allows for more flex and comfort when driving offroad.