Do I need to change the LED flasher relay with my Savvy LED taillights?

Moglocker

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Checked the search,kinda confused.I will be installing savvy taillights for future clearance needs,everything else is stock,do I need to buy a flasher,maybe this one( Novita LM470)thanks guys

For 2001 and newer you'll need the below for the Savvy tail lights. I recommend against replacing all of the other incandescents with LEDs unless you want to have to do wiring and circuit modifications to get them working properly. Some will work OK as-is but not in the front turn signals and side markers. LED headlights work fine with no modifications needed.
Screenshot_2022-03-28-22-28-50.png

Last edited:
For 2001 and newer you'll need the below for the Savvy tail lights. I recommend against replacing all of the other incandescents with LEDs unless you want to have to do wiring and circuit modifications to get them working properly. Some will work OK as-is but not in the front turn signals and side markers. LED headlights work fine with no modifications needed.
View attachment 319141
Thanks Jerry I’m getting reviews that this does a clicking noise after you stop? Have you had this problem?thanks

Thanks Jerry I’m getting reviews that this does a clicking noise after you stop? Have you had this problem?thanks
i would just go with the LM470. It is for sure the proper fit for a 01-06 from Novita and nobody reports weird behavior from it. You can get it from parts stores locally too. The official numbers for TJs are 97-00 EP26 and 01-06 LM470. The Gold Coast will work on 01-06 but the weird clicking behavior would keep me away from it. I don’t know anyone that says they have that experience with the LM470.

Reactions: pc1p
I have no experience with that one. All I know is the GCD has problems with that and not all do it.
So,ok I thought about the the round leds,don’t really care for how it dates the look.if you were to run the savvy’s what flasher options do I have to make it work best?thanks Blaine

So,ok I thought about the the round leds,don’t really care for how it dates the look.if you were to run the savvy’s what flasher options do I have to make it work best?thanks Blaine
The Savvy's are just a simple LED light like any other LED. They don't care what flasher blinks them. Try the LM470, it is known to work and doesn't have the reported extra blinks that the gold coast has. Has nothing to do with what tail lights you run other than the tail lights being LED and needing a different flasher over stock.

Reactions: pc1p and B00mb00m
The Savvy's are just a simple LED light like any other LED. They don't care what flasher blinks them. Try the LM470, it is known to work and doesn't have the reported extra blinks that the gold coast has. Has nothing to do with what tail lights you run other than the tail lights being LED and needing a different flasher over stock.
Ok,got it

Not only after you stop but lots of times when you flip the turn signal off or it self cancels. Fairly annoying.
I actually installed an EP26 LED but the photo I posted above with a different flasher p/n was downloaded right out of Savvy's installation instructions. I figured what Savvy showed would be safer than what I used since mine didn't match what was in the Savvy instructions. Maybe what I found is outdated, I don't know. Page two at https://images.carid.com/savvy-offroad/items/pdf/sav-btl-installation-instructions.pdf

I have the Novita LM470, it is comically erratic. It works 100% but it is always slightly off in timing, like listening to a 6 year old play Beethoven. It is obvious every time I use my signals that the timing between flashes is off. Totally irrelevant but somewhat irritating.

I have the Novita LM470, it is comically erratic. It works 100% but it is always slightly off in timing, like listening to a 6 year old play Beethoven. It is obvious every time I use my signals that the timing between flashes is off. Totally irrelevant but somewhat irritating.
Interesting. Have not seen complaints with the 470 so that’s a first for me. Wonder if maybe yours is defective.

Sometimes I wonder if just a stock flasher with 3 ohm resistors (counts for 2 bulbs each) wired as one per tail light might be a better way to go long term. I have never had trouble with resistors on other vehicles, since they work as simulating bulbs, they have always worked perfectly in my experience. Good quality ones don’t get all that hot either. Modern vehicles with BCMs controlling the flash rate only have resistors as a solution for LEDs anyways.

Ok dumb question time…
What are the reasons for changing the flasher? I’ve read a little about hyper flash before, and some annoying sounds, but are there any detriments or potential damage to the circuit when using a stock flasher with LED tail lights? Increased heat and wear on the relay maybe?

The reason i ask, I have trail tail LEDs and the recommended flasher for my 2001 model they sell for the lights, but I haven’t installed the new flasher. Mine worked. I don’t really think it’s flashing too fast or anything and I have no weird clicks or anything. Should I install the new flasher or Keep it as a spare?