Do I need to fill the oil filter with oil first before installation?

Boy talking about OIL is like talking about Politics or Religion.
And don’t call me Asshole. It’s Mr Asshole.

image.jpg

I prefill my filter not because I think it will make any difference but because it gives me something to do between sips of beer. It also gives me the satisfaction of thinking I am doing something extra that a run of the mill quick lube place would not be doing which makes the beer taste that much better. Try it.

Agreed...people worry too much and do things the way grandpa showed them which is fine and doesn't hurt a thing but is extra steps. I think about my wife's jl with a cartridge filter...it doesn't have any oil at startup correct?
JLs have a cartridge filter? That's an upgrade in my book.

Reactions: 707kevin
And I've run oil for 20k miles before changing without losing the motor, doesn't mean it's a good idear.

I've watched the gauge on startup comparing a full vs empty filter, and empty does take longer to build pressure. Is it enough to matter? Probably not if the motor was ran shortly before changing. Engines can lose all oil pressure and run for a surprisingly long time under no load.

I always change my oil right after driving, so the oil is hot and more willing to run out of all the small passages and out of the oil pan.

Reactions: P man
JLs have a cartridge filter? That's an upgrade in my book.

seems at least a few car manufacturers agree with you, as Toyota switched to a cartridge for the 1GR-FE used in the 4runner. I don't know where the JK puts it. On my BMW's it's always been up top, which wasn't too bad. Toyota puts it upside down in the front bottom of the engine. Oil changes went from a 20 minute job (much like the TJ) on the 4th gen to an hour of struggling with skid plates and making a mess with the 5th gen.

I have no idea why. Seems like you can put just as much area of the exact same filter media in a spin on as you can a cartridge so I don't see it being related to reliability or longevity. It has to benefit the manufacturer somehow.

I don't see it being related to reliability or longevity. It has to benefit the manufacturer somehow.
I think the bypass and drain back valves are in the engine instead of the filter. Generally they are higher quality and more reliable when they aren't in a disposable cartridge. The filter without a can is also easier to make and there is less trash every oil change.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I think the bypass and drain back valves are in the engine instead of the filter. Generally they are higher quality and more reliable when they aren't in a disposable cartridge. The filter without a can is also easier to make and there is less trash every oil change.

eh, good points.

I’ve seen videos where folks have put a dab of oil on the outside part of the filter but I’ve also heard that you need to fill the filter with oil first before install?
It doesnt hurt to pre fill you filter, I was taught that way so continued, I am sure most lube shops dont bother anymore, I suppose its like almost everyone got taught to peel a banana the wrong way but it still works.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
seems at least a few car manufacturers agree with you, as Toyota switched to a cartridge for the 1GR-FE used in the 4runner. I don't know where the JK puts it. On my BMW's it's always been up top, which wasn't too bad. Toyota puts it upside down in the front bottom of the engine. Oil changes went from a 20 minute job (much like the TJ) on the 4th gen to an hour of struggling with skid plates and making a mess with the 5th gen.

I have no idea why. Seems like you can put just as much area of the exact same filter media in a spin on as you can a cartridge so I don't see it being related to reliability or longevity. It has to benefit the manufacturer somehow.
I like cartridge filters because they're GENERALLY cleaner and easier to deal with. Spin-ons start dripping oil as soon as they're loose - some cartridge filters do too, but some don't. If nothing else, I like being able to put a ratchet on the thing and it will come off, no matter how ham fisted the guy that installed it was! In any event, I'm glad to hear the trend appears to be away from spin-ons.

The older Mercedes Diesels had a bottom mounted cartridge filter that was easy enough to get off, but damn near impossible to get back on and have it NOT leak. Both my father and I cursed those damn things every time we did an oil change - and we both ended up paying somebody else to deal with it and we both had instances of even the mechanic screwing it up! Come 1977, Mercedes fixed it by replacing it with a top mounted cartridge setup that is the BEST damn oil filter arrangement I've ever seen, bar none. My '85 has it, my old '74 did not. Mercedes has done some bone headed things in their history, just like any other CarCo - but when they fix it, they fix it right!

Although I do lube the gasket there is always a little oil running out and onto the mating surface when you screw the filter back on so it's gonna get lubed

This may come across really bad, but losing sleep over filter methods on this engine doesn’t need to happen- about all that matters is that you do change it regularly. No magic technique that anyone does is going to extend the life of something you can’t hardly kill anyway.

I just lube up the seal. I've never even heard of pre-filling the oil filter and I don't see a need to start.