Do I torque the control arm bolts at ride height with weight on axle?

03teej

Supporting Member
Installing currie 4" lift at the moment, do I torque the control arm bolts at ride height with weight on axle?

This rec makes complete sense to me for factory style rubber bushings where the sleeve is bonded to the flexible material. In a JohnnyJoint style bushing, the position for bolt torquing shouldn't matter because there should be no bind introduced. If thats wrong, why?

Note, I'm talking about the bolts at the link ends, not the jam nuts setting length on adjustable arms.

This rec makes complete sense to me for factory style rubber bushings where the sleeve is bonded to the flexible material. In a JohnnyJoint style bushing, the position for bolt torquing shouldn't matter because there should be no bind introduced. If thats wrong, why?

Note, I'm talking about the bolts at the link ends, not the jam nuts setting length on adjustable arms.

Thanks that's what I was talking about, now fighting getting axle centered up front, any tips/tricks. It Wants to stay toward drivers side

Thanks that's what I was talking about, now fighting getting axle centered up front, any tips/tricks. It Wants to stay toward drivers side

I measure with the rig on the ground and then disconnect the track bar and adjust the length as nec. To get it lined up for the bolt, I use a ratchet strap from the axle to frame (I do that part on a lift because I can but others do it on the ground). I don't tighten the jam nut until I'm happy the axle is centered on the ground.

Once the track bar has been disconnected stand on the bumper and "jounce" the springs and suspension by jumping up & down. That will usually cause it to self-center to very close to dead center. If it's not perfect enough for you use a ratchet strap connected between the frame and axle to tug it so it's perfect. Then adjust the length of the track bar so its mounting bolt hole lines up and insert the bolt.

Reactions: 97TJNM
I measure with the rig on the ground and then disconnect the track bar and adjust the length as nec. To get it lined up for the bolt, I use a ratchet strap from the axle to frame (I do that part on a lift because I can but others do it on the ground). I don't tighten the jam nut until I'm happy the axle is centered on the ground.

Damn thing is staying towards drivers side, doesn't want to come over at full droop, ratchet straps as tight as I can get it. It's a big strap too

Once the track bar has been disconnected stand on the bumper and "jounce" the springs and suspension by jumping up & down. That will usually cause it to self-center to very close to dead center. If it's not perfect enough for you use a ratchet strap connected between the frame and axle to tug it so it's perfect. Then adjust the length of the track bar so its mounting bolt hole lines up and insert the bolt.

This is exactly how I did mine. It worked out perfectly for me. I continued the process 2-3 times, tightening the strap 1-2 clicks, bouncing on the bumper, tightening the strap again until it was centered. Process took maybe 20 minutes once I had the strap in place.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Just put it to full drop and ratcheted the axle over all I could, just put the tires back on and sitting on them. Looks pretty damn close. Going to do some measuring

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Just put it to full drop and ratcheted the axle over all I could, just put the tires back on and sitting on them. Looks pretty damn close. Going to do some measuring

I only have 14 post, so can't put any pictures up.
What do I need to do to be a supporting member?
You guys are great and respond really fast

Reactions: JMT
I only have 14 post, so can't put any pictures up.
You guys are great and respond really fast

Yeah, I believe you need 20 posts or something like that to be able to post pics.

The supporting member upgrade I believe is under the "members" tab in the site menu.

200.gif