Do I upgrade to an SYE or not?

kc9ojn

So I lost my rear stock shaft last week. The stock shaft was ok before, or do I upgrade to an Adems and a SYE. OR is there a 3rd op. Is there a upgrade rear drive shaft with the yoke. Why would I want to do the SYE. any Info and opinion's welcome and helpful.

Do you have a lift? Do you intend to lift in the future? Do you need to increase ground clearance under the center skid? If you answer yes to any of those, a SYE and maybe a double cardan driveshaft could provide great benefit.

An SYE generally requires a double cardan rear drive shaft and adjustable rear control arms.

I suppose one could retain the factory pinon angle, but then the slip joint needs to go on the drive shaft tube rather than the t case output.

Reactions: Steel City 06
When you say you lost your driveshaft, did it break a weld? U-joint? Did it slip out of the transfer case on the trail because it is too short with the lift you have? We need some more info of your current setup to give you better insight.

I assumed he got home and discovered the driveshaft was missing. I would suspect hooligans playing some kind of prank.

:D

In any case, I'd do the SYE if you're lifted at all. If not, and you 100% definitely will stay at stock height, just get a replacement driveshaft, if the police never find your missing one that is.

Reactions: Axeman
If you have to go and buy a whole new shaft anyway, I'd consider a SYE now too if you can afford it. This is easy for me to say when I have the 241 transfer case. But I think future proofing it now makes more sense than needing to replace the shaft again if/when you add a lift.

If you have to go and buy a whole new shaft anyway, I'd consider a SYE now too if you can afford it. This is easy for me to say when I have the 241 transfer case. But I think future proofing it now makes more sense than needing to replace the shaft again if/when you add a lift.

Odd and almost sacrilege to say I know, but I am very happy with my 35's and no lift. We do light trail running ( Wife and I both have his and her TJ's) I am prob going to go back to stock but I already have an Adams shaft , I have seen you can buy an after market slip yoke. That is what broke in the first point, the U joint on the slip yoke let loose and put a nice dent in my new muffler I just put on. I am very much a Future proof guy but I try to plan for a upgrade of this price tag. I do like the Hoodlum post lol there are lots of jeeps it would be real easy to just slide under and poof gone. That is something to think about with you single's out there, the creative EX , lol

Odd and almost sacrilege to say I know, but I am very happy with my 35's and no lift. ...

I'm not sure how that would be physically possible without significant body cutting and serious compromises to drivability.

I'd want at least a lift puck for running 35s. That must be extremely tight to fit without a LOT of rubbing. Or a super non-flexy suspension. But, hey, if it works for you...
Do both yours and the wife's TJ run 35s and no lift?