Do snorkels really work?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Do snorkels really work? To answer this is honestly a double edged sword.

Admittedly most people are purchasing a snorkel for their off-road vehicle simply because they think it looks cool. While I personally think they look stupid, that's not going to stop people from buying them. And then of course you have the people who buy them with grandiose plans of fording rivers, driving through floods, etc.

Well, I can tell you that while some of that might seem cool, reality is quite a bit different. While a snorkel will indeed allow you to submerge your TJ over the hood without the engine ingesting water, you're going to run into quite a bit of issues if you choose to take this path.

For one, water and electronics don't mix. If you were to really want to do this, you'd need to find a way to seal all your electronics and sensors very thoroughly. In addition, you'd need to make sure your transmission and differentials have the breather tubes in place and are also properly sealed. When you go through a river crossing with water up to your hood, water is going to get everywhere. Your electronics, your sensors, your PCM, etc. While some of these are "water resistant", none of them are actually meant to be submerged.

The typical snorkel situation will go exactly like this (and I can 99% guarantee this):

You and your friends decide to go off-roading. You decide to ford a river where water is submerging the hood. You do this for 10 minutes or so, then make it to the other end (assuming the current doesn't sweep you away). You freeze your ass off, drive home soaking wet, and ultimately look back at the fun day you had.

The next day you go to start your TJ up and it either doesn't start, or it starts and then immediately begins running poorly and throwing check engine lights. You get your OBDII scanner out and find a plethora of codes pointing to all sorts of different issues.

Why is this happening you ask? Because you submerged your engine and all the electronics in water. You now have sensors and other electronics that have water still in them, or have been shorted out due to the water.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard this exact same story, and I can't even begin to imagine how many more times I will hear it.

Water isn't good for electronics, period. I'm not saying it's going to fry everything, but it is going to cause some lasting issues that will likely cost you money and be difficult to troubleshoot. This isn't a maybe either, it's a guarantee.

The only vehicles I've ever seen that a snorkel is truly very effective on would be the older mechanical diesels that lacked all of the modern day electronics, computers, etc., that even our TJs have. On those things you can submerge the engine in water and not have to worry about much simply due to the way those old diesels are built.

So to answer the original question, yes, a snorkel works in principal, but the side effects you will encounter from going through water crossings are going to really come back to bite you in the ass, I promise. Doing it once is one thing, but if you make your TJ a vehicle that you use to regularly cross deep water, I can promise you that you're going to be in for a lot of nasty surprises.

Reactions: xenocryst and StG58
BTW, I mean no disrespect whatsoever to anyone who happens to own a snorkel. I understand some people just have them installed for looks.

I'm simply trying to educate people. I don't want someone to waste money on a snorkel thinking that it will actually benefit them in some sort of river crossing or flood situation, because it certainly will not.

Just wanted to clarify that so no one gets the wrong idea.

Question - I've hit some trails pretty hard with standing water deep enough to flood the stock air box and stall the Jeep out.... (from the big splash of water/mud) would they work effectively for these situations ?

Reactions: Chris
Question - I've hit some trails pretty hard with standing water deep enough to flood the stock air box and stall the Jeep out.... (from the big splash of water/mud) would they work effectively for these situations ?

While I don't want to be the test dummy, I suspect a snorkel would work in a situation like that.

Splashing your engine is fine, the electronics are obviously designed to withstand splashes of water (i.e. rain).

You just wouldn't want to drive into standing water thinking that the snorkel would save your engine. Sure, your engine would be saved, but all your electronics would be fried.

Same principal as a water resistant watch, you know? If you wash you hands with the watch on, you're fine. But if you submerge it in water and leave it there, then it's probably not going to withstand that.

Did you water lock the engine? Just as a guess, the high voltage side of your ignition decided that it didn't like the water / mud and stopped providing spark. Or more probably, the back pressure on the exhaust got to be more than the engine could overcome. It really takes surprisingly little back pressure to kill an engine. That much water / mud would really make me want to check the differentials and the transmission / transfer case for water intrusion.

A full-on fording kit includes a raised exhaust exit, waterproofing for the ignition system, fuel system and all the running gear. It also includes waterproofing the majority of your wiring and electronics. Oh, and I forgot the power steering pump, alternator, battery, gas tank and a switchable electric radiator fan. Probably forgetting other stuff as well.

Try a little experiment, if you will. Go to a boat ramp with a buddy. Back down the ramp until the engine dies. Your air intake will be well above the water line. Have your buddy drag you off the boat ramp. Go home and see what all got wet and what has water in it. It's a very instructive exercise. Especially in about six months when a lot of your electrical connectors start corroding and causing issues. If you want to accelerate the process, back into salt water.

Snorkels on a Jeep don't even buy you much in the way of dust protection. They do look kinda cool though.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed listening to my father-inlaw tell the story of prepping the Jeeps in England for the Normandy invasion when they added the snorkel kits and basically coated everything with grease. Back then he explained to me that although there were written directives explaining the process it was basically whatever goes to get it to actually work.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I really enjoyed listening to my father-inlaw tell the story of prepping the Jeeps in England for the Normandy invasion when they added the snorkel kits and basically coated everything with grease. Back then he explained to me that although there were written directives explaining the process it was basically whatever goes to get it to actually work.

I wonder if it was easier back then due to way less electronics and wiring?

Chris if I thought I could lower my intake air temp I would install one in a heart beat. Putting the louvers on the hood dropped it from 176 to 146 but I sure would like to get it closer to ambient temp.

I wonder if it was easier back then due to way less electronics and wiring?

If you can totally isolate the points and distributor from moisture on a mechanical gasser (of course fuel and air as well) you can partially submerge the engine for short periods. Few have succeeded in doing this over the years though.

Unlike mechanical diesels where you can operate completely underwater like you stated in the beginning.

One day I'd like to have an old beater CJ2a to do experiments on for threads like this :eusa_dance:

Chris if I thought I could lower my intake air temp I would install one in a heart beat. Putting the louvers on the hood dropped it from 176 to 146 but I sure would like to get it closer to ambient temp.
My Ford Windstar cowl intake keeps the intake air temp around 5 degrees above ambient. I imagine a typical snorkel would have the same results.

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
My Ford Windstar cowl intake keeps the intake air temp around 5 degrees above ambient. I imagine a typical snorkel would have the same results.
That would be nice. However it is impossible with my setup.:(

Oh man I really wanted to get one, I knew it wasn't going to turn my jeep into a submarine but I thought it would at least help.

It won’t help any at all unfortunately. Not to say you can’t do it just for looks though.

I feel that something like this had to be written. I see so many Jeeps out there with snorkels, and I know that the majority of the guys who purchased those snorkels simply don't know any better. They're merely misinformed Jeep owners who have fallen victim to the many, many, many bullshit marketing tactics that are littered throughout the aftermarket part industry.

The bottom line is that while in principal a snorkel works, it won't work at all on any modern vehicle driven by electronics (such as your TJ). If your engine is submerged with water all the way up to the airbox, your wiring harness will be submerged in water, and you're electronics will be completely shorted out, so you're vehicle will be 100% completely inoperable, and seriously damaged.

Snorkels are one of those, "Hey, look at me, I'm badass!" mods.

The only time I've ever seen a snorkel work is on an older diesel. Those old diesels are almost entirely mechanically driven and therefore don't really have any electronics to short out. No modern vehicle would benefit from having a snorkel whatsoever. So unless you have swapped in some sort of old, mechanical 4BT Cummins engine, then you won't benefit at all from a snorkel.

It would be quite amusing to see some of these guys take their Jeeps through standing water. They'd quickly find out that snorkel was nothing more than a waste of money after their ECM (and so much more) ends up completely fried.

Oh, and before someone gives me the "cold air intake" argument, just save your breath. The stock airbox on a Jeep Wrangler TJ is absolutely, positively not a restrictive point in the engine's ability to produce power. This has even been verified through conversations members have had with the original engineers who designed the TJ.

Need more proof that taking your TJ through standing water is a bad idea, check this thread out: Snorkel Recommendations?

The marketing people behind these products target a specific audience who will fall for the hype.