Do you do your own work on your Jeep or pay someone?

Do you do your own work?

• I do my own work.

• I pay someone else.

Results are only viewable after voting.

astjp2

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So who pays someone to work on their jeep? I am not talking specialty things like rebuilding the transmission, I am asking about things like lift kits, brake jobs, spark plugs and changing the oil kind of things.

Both. Replaced rear axle seals the other day, but took them to a shop to be pressed because I didn't want to buy a press to have sit around. Next up, brake job. I change my own oil and did all the replacement parts, door locks and a bunch of stuff myself. The lift was put on by a friend that owns a shop that works on a ton of Jeeps. Luckily my Jeep is easy to work on because it isn't very rusty.

Couldn't answer your poll due to both not being an option.

Reactions: mots and Flivver250
Both. I do my own work unless it is too hot or requires a lift or large tool I don't have. My work shop is my UAE apartment open parking garage. When it gets too hot, I sometimes get too lazy and pay a shop to do what I could do myself. I am having the shop swap engines for me this week, Replace all the gaskets and seals in it first, install new clutch system + flywheel, AC and timing chain. They will fix one slightly bowed fender and paint it and paint my grill and doors. All that labor will be 4-500 bucks. I don't feel abused or ashamed :)

Definitely myself, when I have the proper tools and confidence to tackle the job. I just dropped the tank and installed a new fuel pump last weekend. While it was tempting to tow it to a shop when it stalled, doing it myself saved me around $400 in parts and labor. On top of that, there is nothing better than knowing something was done correctly and that the proper parts were installed. Even the best shops rush through things at times and make mistakes, especially if the work gets assigned to their lowest skilled worker (oil changes etc.). Having worked at a garage in college, and having seen some bogus shit that came into us from other shops, I prefer to work on my own vehicles whenever I can!

I do as much as I can considering the tools I have and job complexity. If I had a lift along with a garage with enough storage area I would probably do most everything. Certain jobs I let others do who earn a living doing just that. A good example is exhaust systems. I learned from bitter experience that exhaust jobs are best left to a reputable exhaust shop. They have hydraulic expanders and other specialty tools the average person cannot afford along with the 'tribal knowledge' most don't have. Right now I have a leaking driver side front axle seal. I've looked at doing the job myself, got quotes from two different shops I use and have decided to have the shop do it. It will be done in one day and not be on jack stands in my driveway for approx. $300.00 to replace both seals. Considering we are due for another heat wave, my choice was an easy one.

Both. I do my own work unless it is too hot or requires a lift or large tool I don't have. My work shop is my UAE apartment open parking garage. When it gets too hot, I sometimes get too lazy and pay a shop to do what I could do myself. I am having the shop swap engines for me this week, Replace all the gaskets and seals in it first, install new clutch system + flywheel, AC and timing chain. They will fix one slightly bowed fender and paint it and paint my grill and doors. All that labor will be 4-500 bucks. I don't feel abused or ashamed :)

That’s some good labor rates right there! Thinking of your fender, I should have also mentioned in my post...I would never try do body work and painting on my own, LOL.

With the exception of the exhaust system, which just needed some welding, I've done everything myself. So far just an alternator and front brakes and I'm looking at an engine rebuild this winter. If this was my DD I would hire more stuff out but this is a "hobby" so I try to save as much money as I can, including fabricating as much as I can.

Both, depends on the job, time, expertise and whether I want to tackle it. I like that they are simple enough you can .

Depends, actual engine, brakes, running gear, etc I’ll have my mechanic mess with. The half top conversion was done by GR8TOPS. Cosmetic stuff like moving my mirrors to the body from the doors, delrin hinge inserts, upgraded radio install, tonneau cover build, turn signal relocation, Fury horn install etc I did myself. My father was the mechanic not me. Before the years out Ripley will be undercoated and repainted with Cj style hood accessories, pocket fender flares and upgraded seats.

Both. I’ve done most everything except the regear and alignment. And for stuff that I don’t feel comfortable about or needs specialty tools.

I’ll pay to get the oil changed too, because it’s pretty inexpensive.

I've done front pads and rotors and rear drums and shoes, replaced coil rail and plugs, fuel rail and injectors, new serpentine belt, all heater and cooling hoses, cat-back exhaust system, changed both front and rear diff oil and covers, changed transmission filter and fluid, drained transfer case and re-filled, striped out interior carpet, re-painted tub, installed new carpeting, installed front and rear seat covers, replaced soft top with aftermarket hard top, and have four shocks, coils, sway bars, adjustable control arms, track bars, and steering kit in boxes to be installed over the next week or so.

I paid a shop to replace the rear main seal and will pay them for a full alignment once all the adjustable track bars and controls arms are installed. Also paid to have the new tires mounted on new wheels and balanced, I'll install them after the lift is done.

It's gotten to the point where there's very few shops I trust to do the work correctly (sure, they may replace spark plugs and it'll run, but did they gap them?).

Reactions: Strngmn81