Do you drain your compressor after every use?

I just turn mine off. Been doing it that way on this compressor for 20 years.

If the thinking is to get rid of the moisture, that depends on where you’re operating the compressor.

I got quite a bit of water in my tank at certain times of the year when I lived in Michigan.
There is almost no water collected in the tank living here in AZ.

I do mine when I think about it...which isn't often. I also leave my compressor on, 24-7. I don't have air leaks so once it builds a charge, it doesn't run. If you run it a LOT you should probably drain it at the end of the day...

We drain our work compressor after the shop closes, if the temp is going to be below freezing over night. Other than that, we drain ours once a week when we close.

I drain mine frequently. Living in Indiana the compressor will condense out an unbelievable amount of moisture if it's in steady use. Especially if I'm doing something that requires high volume like sand blasting or running a sander and especially if it's during our suffocatingly humid summer. If you live where there is high humidity, I'd strongly recommend regular draining of the tank to help reduce the possibility of corrosion inside the tank. It will also help keep moisture out of your air tools and of course, any spray painting you might do. I also have to use an in-line dryer if I want to do any painting.

I don’t leave the compressor running, or on. I turn mine on when I’ll use it and always drain it after I shut it down. 15 degrees this morning but I do this year round.

I have to admit that I've only done it half a dozen times over the 20 years I've had my Craftsman compressor. The couple times I did it, rust and water came out, the last time I had to actually remove the drain valve and poke random pieces of rust out of the way from blocking the drain. I want to say I'll do it today but by the time it's warm enough to bother I'll probably forget. I know several people have warned me that it will explode due to the rust but I figure as soon as part of it gets weak, the rusty spot will start to leak and make it run non stop until it dies.

I will say everyone would be better off if they did drain it.

I have a 60 gallon so put a cheap ball valve at the drain hole in the bottom. I keep the compressor full but open the valve a few times a week to drain any water out.

About ten years ago, I took over a small wood shop with a 10 gallon air compressor. A few weeks in I noticed that one of the guys was standing next to it draining the tank with an air nozzle. He condescendingly tells me that the tank needs to be drained every so often often to get the water out of it. I walk over to the tank and give it a good shake. I hear water inside, crouch down and open the bottom drain valve and emptied about 3 gallons of bright orange water onto the floor. With some puzzlement, I nicely asked if anyone has open the bottom where the water is.

I have a 1/4 turn ball valve on a extension on my garage AC, when I turn on the plasma or welder, I usually open it quick with my foot till the gurgling stops. I have the ball valve plumbed out a vent outside. I do it often, so there is usually a small amount to evacuate.

My main shop is on a unloader actuated drain. Everytime the comp kicks off, the bleed off opens the bottom valve for just that second or so, works fine. Never have accumulated water in the tank anymore.

80gal. Quincy two-stage and I drain daily after use here in Oregon's coastal air. If I lived in a AZ. that interval would probably decrease.

Reactions: WSS
Every time I shut it down.
Do you pump it up just when you need to use it?

Mine is always on due to its daily use. We used to shut down both compressors every night but realized if we kept the leaks to a minimum and no tools attached that neither would cycle overnight. A few days, yes maybe a few times but not overnight.

Depends on the time of year. Winter is very dry and the compressor just doesn't condense much water. The more humid seasons require more draining. Then I usually do it every day.