Do you guys still use CB radios?

I still use mine in the woods as the loggers use their CB when hauling logs out, but I added GMRS as it is a better platform both in the woods and on the road. With repeaters popping up everywhere the distance then goes up too for example I can talk through a repeater 50 miles away to someone another 50 miles away and the simplex works just as well!
Do you talk to people 50 miles away when wheeling?

Reactions: pc1p
on many ham repeaters you can find people that will relay calls to 911, some repeaters actually can patch to the phone system, so in some cases the repeater can be used directly to call 911. And while I never recommend people buy a ham radio without a license, it is actually legal to transmit without a license if it is an emergency situation where loss of life is possible.

In the end, the choice of radio (CB, FRS, GMRS, MURS, ham) boils down to who you want to communicate with and what radio they use. Ham's primary benefit is wide range of usage scenarios (and frequency ranges) that ham can do that the others frequently can't. But if the people you want to talk to are all on CB, then you're stuck with CB.

Just curious, I’ve never felt range was an issue for my CB
Same here, my stock power CB with its 2' FIrestik antenna performs admirably and that's even occasionally leading large groups of Jeeps that occasionally get very spread out. The furthest Jeeper out always gives me loud and clear reports.

Same here, my stock power CB with its 2' FIrestik antenna performs admirably and that's even occasionally leading large groups of Jeeps that occasionally get very spread out. The furthest Jeeper out always gives me loud and clear reports.
Hey Jerry long time since I have posted. Yes my CB has and does well for what it is but up here many are going to the GMRS system (specifically one club I belong to) so I just added another tool.

The big money needs to go in your antenna. Gain! With illegal power we call you an alligator. All mouth and no ears. So like Jerry said a couple years ago, if you can't hear them doesn't matter how much power you are running. The better the antenna the better your send and receive,

Jerry is a ham and I am too.

Midland Radio Corporation is the official 2020 communications sponsor of Jeep® Jamboree USA. With the sponsorship comes a transition with CB being replaced by FRS/GMRS two-way radios

This tells you all you need to know. A company offered a ton of money as a sponsorship and in return made a rule change to force everyone to buy their products. That alone makes me want nothing to do with either organization. CB has been around for ever and works. Companies are just trying to find a way to get more of your money.

My opinion is find out what your group is using and go with that if you are starting with nothing. CB is cheap, free, and proven and should be considered a staple in your setup.

I just bought a mobile GMRS unit and yes I have paid for my license. I’ve been using a gmrs handheld all year. I also have a HAM in the Jeep. But have removed the CB all together. All the groups I’ve run with over the last three years have used gmrs or HAM. Only once was the CB used.

I'm looking forward to the day when the CB dinosaurs finally hang up their Jeep keys and let people move on to a better standa4d for communication.