Do you hate your stock TJ seats position? $3.00 modification

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
So I've decided I need to adjust my seat so that front seats are more comfortable and do adjustment position for more stability when driving and off-roading with out breaking the bank. I posted a Junkyard seat replacement threading and only got 1 good Junkyard replacement suggestion for under $100 and most people said 2003-2007 Hyundai Tiburon years would be an easy swap and has more seat position options. ie: lumbar, thigh lift adj., recline, rear seat pull forward and forward/backward.

I thought my biggest complaint with my current set up was NO thigh lift on the Stock TJ sport seat. It seems if I could lift front mounting point an inch or two it could make the difference I was looking for.

I found 1 inch spacers which were found in my junk pile scrap bolts and took off the 13mm seat mount bolts and added them to the front mounts. I didn't even loosen the rear bolts. Tilted the seat back and dropped in the spacers and mounted the bolts back in for both the driver and passenger seat. The 1 inch lift made enough difference for me to feel the angle and stability I was looking for. So if you're disappointed about the seat position on your TJ's here is cheap and quick mod anyone can do.

20190522_163132.jpg
20190517_162002.jpg
20191009_173801.jpg
20191009_173811.jpg
20191009_173822.jpg
20191009_185859.jpg
20191009_185904.jpg

Reactions: Trailking and TDB55
I'm 5'11" and I feel like I'm too close to the steering wheel, I wonder if that tilt would help some. I think I will try it. I have some square aluminum fence pickets that are about 3/4"square that I can cut spacers out of, that should work right?

I'm 5'11" and I feel like I'm too close to the steering wheel, I wonder if that tilt would help some. I think I will try it. I have some square aluminum fence pickets that are about 3/4"square that I can cut spacers out of, that should work right?
Sure or extra bolts lying around. I also like only raising the front part of the seat for the tilt. Other members here like to raise the whole seat an extra 1" for people who are 6' feet plus. Try it and report back. I'm sure you'll like the change.

Reactions: Dustoffdax
I like the spacer idea. I am 6’ and pilot with the seat all the way back. I think I’ll try 1/2 “ spacer and see what happens

I like the spacer idea. I am 6’ and pilot with the seat all the way back. I think I’ll try 1/2 “ spacer and see what happens

I end up doing leather seat swap. I found a pair of grey leather 2003 mini cooper seats. It had tons more options lumbar, seat lift 3 inches and better tilt.
$120 junkyard seats. Great mod and 99% match to factory interior color.
Photos and how to in link.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...heap-mods-diy-thread.31355/page-2#post-815271

You need misch big boy brackets. They move the seat back 4 inches. I would not be driving my tj without them. As i am 6'3". You can also find knock offs on offerup. That are about $100 cheaper. But i have only used name brand.

Reactions: Dr. Internet