Do you have to remove the factory bump stop to install aftermarket bump stops?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Okay, so I recently ordered a set of JKS adjustable bump stops for my Wrangler TJ Rubicon. I've read the instructions and know how to install them, however, it doesn't say anything about whether I need to remove the factory bump stop on the vehicle.

I'm referring to the rubber bump stop and cup in the attached photo.

Any thoughts guys?

11693896_10206940801532763_7633300943394693164_n.jpg

Front bumpstop extensions are typically done from the spring pad to avoid contact between the cup and the spring during articulation.

Reactions: Chris
Front bumpstop extensions are typically done from the spring pad to avoid contact between the cup and the spring during articulation.

Yep, that's what I am figuring out. I was confused because I didn't know why all these aftermarket bumpstops were being installed on the spring pad. Now it makes perfect sense though!

Yep, that's what I am figuring out. I was confused because I didn't know why all these aftermarket bumpstops were being installed on the spring pad. Now it makes perfect sense though!

For mine, I just ordered some hockey pucks off of amazon (not a whole lot of ice hockey played in south MS) and attached them to my spring pad. There's lot of kits out there that will allow you to drill and tap the spring pad, but my hockey pucks have worked just fine.

For mine, I just ordered some hockey pucks off of amazon (not a whole lot of ice hockey played in south MS) and attached them to my spring pad. There's lot of kits out there that will allow you to drill and tap the spring pad, but my hockey pucks have worked just fine.

JKS seems like a nice option just because they give you 4 difference sizes of aluminum pucks so you can fine tune it down to .25".

JKS seems like a nice option just because they give you 4 difference sizes of aluminum pucks so you can fine tune it down to .25".

That's pretty sweet. Most I've seen only do 1" metal pucks…maybe 0.5". But luckily for me, I needed a little less than 0.75" of bumpstop, so the 1" thick hockey puck was perfect for me.

Reactions: Chris
That's pretty sweet. Most I've seen only do 1" metal pucks…maybe 0.5". But luckily for me, I needed a little less than 0.75" of bumpstop, so the 1" thick hockey puck was perfect for me.

It's sweet, but you end up paying around $100 for the front and $100 for the rear. Ugh... Guess you gotta pay to play!