Do you have your Coronavirus check and did you get paid for a 17 year old?

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
When I logged on to my bank account this morning there is a notice that a $1700 deposit from the IRS will be available 4/15. I claim my son and my ex claims our daughter on taxes. My son turned 17 in January so I was not expecting the $500 for him but it appears I am getting it. Everything I have read indicates dependents have to be under 17 to qualify.

But on last years taxes he was only 16 correct ? So he qualifies cause he was 16 when you filed
You might have a point there. Because he turned 17 in January he did qualify for child tax credit, just barely. It may be tied to that. He will be happy, I will be giving some money to both of my kids. They both have jobs but cant work as a lifeguard or in a daycare center right now.

Yes, we got our stimulus check today!
If we added some to it, we could buy a case of toilet paper if we could find some.
Told the wife hands off my half, I was going to Burger King with mine.
Seriously.

Reactions: B252
When I logged on to my bank account this morning there is a notice that a $1700 deposit from the IRS will be available 4/15. I claim my son and my ex claims our daughter on taxes. My son turned 17 in January so I was not expecting the $500 for him but it appears I am getting it. Everything I have read indicates dependents have to be under 17 to qualify.
Children have to be under the age of 17, which means they qualified for the child tax credit on your tax return (available up to age 16). The IRS is basing this off the last filed tax return (18 or 19). My son is on the bubble so I am not filing 2019 so I qualify for the extra off 2018 return.

The unknown part.....If you and your ex swap kids each you, you "may" be able to pick up another $500 on next years return when this all gets reconciles with the 2020 tax returns.