Do you need to remove the A/C to get to the spark plug on a 1998 TJ 4.0?

Earl B

TJ Enthusiast
Do you remove the AC to get to the spark plug on a 1998 6cyl. Sport. I can't find it on the Forum.

No, you shouldn't have to. But I recommend a swivel/wobble extension and a spark plug socket with a rubber grip on the inside. This will make your life easier. And some gloves, unless you don't mind donating some skin and blood.

• Haha
Reactions: lulzpwndyah
I'll give it a shot. My big hand doesn't look like it will work. There's nothing easy on this rust bucket. Broke three screws on air filter holder. Thanks for your help.

I'll give it a shot. My big hand doesn't look like it will work. There's nothing easy on this rust bucket. Broke three screws on air filter holder. Thanks for your help.
You should be able to get to it. I usually use a long extension, a swivel might help too. It's a little bit of a pain, but not too bad.

The important thing is to not cross thread it when you put in the new plug.

You got it!
Yes, and if you use a long extension and get the threads started by hand spinning it you should be fine.

A spark plug boot remover, spark plug socket, u joint, and an extension will get it without having to put your hands in there.

Crazy thing is, I don't use the bloody AC. In Nashville when it warms up the top goes down. If this has been not tuned up in so long should I put a coil on it? I'm putting wires, cap and rotor button on it. What kind of coil do you use.
I have a truck for comfort. Would I be crazy to take off a good AC unit. Better power and gas mileage? Open up the engine to work on it easier. Just thinking outside the box. I'm not going to sell it.

The only coil I found that was not made in China and would last on my YJ was a Blue Streak one. MOPAR, MSD, etc all made in China and would only last from several months to a couple of years.

I would leave it on there. Possibly pick up a spare in case it fails.

Only benefit to removing AC is weight reduction. It doesn't consume any power unless you turn it on.

Buy the non AC belt if you want to bypass the pulley.

I don't know the history of the jeep. Took out a easy plug to see if I need one. Worst spark plug ever. Gap 70? Burnt to a crisp. I don't know how it ran so good. Time to replace everything. Thanks guys.
When I got my ’05 4.0, I think those plugs were original. Just like yours, crispy. Electrodes down to the ceramic and ground straps almost non existent. It was running ok, made it get better MPG with new plugs. Same coil rail.

Probably leave the ac on it. It does get in the way sometimes. I've been replacing spark plugs since the mid seventies and never saw anything like these. 142000 miles. Could they be that old. I dont know how it even ran. Three years with health problems and just now tuning it up. I have to think that it needs everything. I'm impressed it hung in there. Like something from roadkill.
Just empty every pocket.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
Crazy thing is, I don't use the bloody AC. In Nashville when it warms up the top goes down. If this has been not tuned up in so long should I put a coil on it? I'm putting wires, cap and rotor button on it. What kind of coil do you use.
I have a truck for comfort. Would I be crazy to take off a good AC unit. Better power and gas mileage? Open up the engine to work on it easier. Just thinking outside the box. I'm not going to sell it.
I don't think you need to replace the coil unless the body is cracked and the spark to the plugs is weak and orange. The newer coils don't seem to be as heavy duty as the factory original, even the Mopar coils.

I suggest to leave the A/C. There may come a time when you wish you had it.

Probably leave the ac on it. It does get in the way sometimes. I've been replacing spark plugs since the mid seventies and never saw anything like these. 142000 miles. Could they be that old. I dont know how it even ran. Three years with health problems and just now tuning it up. I have to think that it needs everything. I'm impressed it hung in there. Like something from roadkill.
Just empty every pocket.
Unlikely they are the originals. More likely is that somebody didn't gap them or put in some pre-gapped that were the wrong gap, though I have never heard of a gap that large for anything.

Don’t take the ac out! I’ve been stranded in traffic jams numerous times with the top down , and it feels really good to have a little cool air blowing out of those vents. Nashville traffic is getting worse and will probably catch up with Atlanta traffic some day soon.

It's not the wrong gap. These plugs are toast. 100,000 maybe. I've quit for the day but tomorrow I will take pictures. I can't believe that the jeep ran so well. Got to keep some walking shoes in rhis thing.

• Haha
Reactions: glowell222
What about Accel coils? Haven’t bought anything from them in a long time, but they used to be top notch.

I ran their Super Coils in a couple of my rides.