Do you need to remove the A/C to get to the spark plug on a 1998 TJ 4.0?

51ywhYC-0vL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I was able to remove all of the plugs using a tool like this, a little painful though lol. I also have a '98 4.0L

Reactions: glowell222
Thanks for your input.
Tomorrow I'm going to move the compressor and try again. If that don't work I'll be looking for a female Russian gymnast with strong skinny hands north of Nashville.

Ok I looked at the engine with fresh eyes. I removed the four bolts from the compressor and moved it two inches. Got the last spark plug out from the top easily. I have never seen plugs this bad and do not know how long they were in there. Now I start with front shocks, brakes, bushings and tie rod ends.

plugs.jpg

plugs 4.jpg

Oh wow, those are seriously worn down plugs.

Good thing you got to them when you did, hopefully, you see better performance out of your engine.

I can't tell if that is just the camera, but is there oil on the plugs? Could be a bad thing, might mean that oil is getting into the combustion chamber and you are burning a fair amount of it.

What about Accel coils? Haven’t bought anything from them in a long time, but they used to be top notch.
First, the OEM ignition coils in our Jeeps produce way more spark than is required to reliably ignition the air-fuel mixture, aftermarket ignition coils are a waste of $$$ if thinking of increased production.

But more to the question, my one lone Accel coil lasted less than a year before it failed on the trail. Almost unbelievably someone in my wheeling group had a spare Mopar that they gave me.

The bottom of the plugs do not have oil on them. One screw on the old dist. cap will not turn and could break in the distributor. I will keep dist. cap, rotor button and zip ties on Jeep until ready to deal with it. Up north jeep and I'm fighting things I never have before. No upgrades just trying to replace old parts. Bushings, tie rod ends, front shocks and front brakes I have next to put on. Bought it cheap, but paying for it now. Rust never sleeps.