Do you think the Wrangler will ever have IFS?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Just curious as to whether or not anyone thinks the Wrangler will ever have IFS as oppose to solid axles?

You always hear rumors about it, but I wonder if they’ll ever actually go through with it.

I would be interested to know these days how many use the Wrangler simply as transportation or a cool SUV, versus how many still buy them as a recreational vehicle for off-road purposes.

This thread should be merged with the "Is there such a thing as an LJ?" thread so that you can get everyone's blood pressure up in one convenient place.

Don’t stroke out on me!

I think I might have almost given @DougB a heart attack in that other thread!

Reactions: DougB
My TJ was bought simply as a recreational /offroad vehicle.
The TJ does not excel in the comfort category compared to....well just about anything.

I do think Jeep will eventually succumb and go with independent as it's a significantly better ride but not required by me personally......i like simplicity.

I think there will be an IFS wrangler after the JL. I bet they will keep solid axles in the rubicon and switch the other models to IFS and IRS. It just makes sense for Jeep to put independent suspension in most Wranglers as most Wranglers don't do enough off-roading to constitute solid axles.

Reactions: Bird
I think there will be an IFS wrangler after the JL. I bet they will keep solid axles in the rubicon and switch the other models to IFS and IRS. It just makes sense for Jeep to put independent suspension in most Wranglers as most Wranglers don't do enough off-roading to constitute solid axles.

That would be a sad day.... then again I think most of us agree that the JK forward isn’t as well built off road vehicle as the predecessors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

That would be a sad day.... then again I think most of us agree that the JK forward isn’t as well built off road vehicle as the predecessors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

I wouldn't be too worried about some models coming with independent suspension. As long as I can get a wrangler with solid axles I'll be happy. It would be a huge change, but a change Jeep will probably have to make if they want to keep the wrangler relevant. I actually think the newer jeeps are better off-road vehicles than the older ones. If you're into hardcore wheeling, I think the JK is the best platform to start on. I think the JL will be a great platform in a few years. Jeep just has to find a way to keep the wrangler relevant.

Reactions: Shane Mckinley

This is what I always figured too. Keep the Rubicon model with solid axles for the serious off-road enthusiast, and put IFS on all the other models which would equate to a much better ride. I don’t think that would bother people that much as long as there was a solid axle model still available.

IMO. As long as Fiat is in bed with Chrysler, we will see the demise of a "rugged" Jeep. I still wish that GM would have bought Jeep from AMC.

Reactions: Chris
Historically speaking wherever the Cherokee and the Grand go, suspension wise, the Wrangler soon follows. But seeing how FCA has reached back as well as forward they have a good understanding of what people want in a Jeep Wrangler. Plus with Mahindra trying to edge their Willys back into the American market, the purists would have somewhere else to look if FCA butchered the Wrangler to much.

Reactions: derekmac and Chris
I wouldn't be too worried about some models coming with independent suspension. As long as I can get a wrangler with solid axles I'll be happy. It would be a huge change, but a change Jeep will probably have to make if they want to keep the wrangler relevant. I actually think the newer jeeps are better off-road vehicles than the older ones. If you're into hardcore wheeling, I think the JK is the best platform to start on. I think the JL will be a great platform in a few years. Jeep just has to find a way to keep the wrangler relevant.

That is at odds with the reality of sales

Sales have steadily increased since from 1999 onward & continue to do so, in its peak year (2015) the JK sold more than double the TJ’s best year, so I don’t think the Wrangler brand is showing any difficulty staying relevant with solid axles, in fact it seems to be just the opposite.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/jeep-wrangler-sales-figures/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler#Sales

And it looks like the JL is upping the game even more:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/03/jeep-wranglers-just-set-an-all-time-sales-record.html

Jeep is in a classic if it aint broke don’t fix it situation with the Wrangler, while they’re certainly smoothing out the rough edges here & there I think ripping the heart out of the vehicle would be an attempt to ‘fix’ a problem that doesn’t exist. They have plenty of other SUVs in their lineup to satisfy people that want to drive a Toyota Camry that looks like a Jeep

Last edited:
Reactions: Shane Mckinley
That is at odds with the reality of sales

Sales have steadily increased since from 1999 onward & continue to do so, in its peak year (2015) the JK sold more than double the TJ’s best year, so I don’t think the Wrangler brand is showing any difficulty staying relevant with solid axles, in fact it seems to be just the opposite.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/jeep-wrangler-sales-figures/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler#Sales

And it looks like the JL is upping the game even more:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/03/jeep-wranglers-just-set-an-all-time-sales-record.html

Jeep is in a classic if it aint broke don’t fix it situation with the Wrangler, while they’re certainly smoothing out the rough edges here & there I think ripping the heart out of the vehicle would be an attempt to ‘fix’ a problem that doesn’t exist. They have plenty of other SUVs in their lineup to satisfy people that want to drive a Toyota Camry that looks like a Jeep

I agree that the current sales numbers would argue that Jeep needs to change very little to stay relevant. But I think my ideas come into play after the JL (so 10-12 years down the line). As SUV's become even more comfortable and cheaper, I think people will shift away from the Wrangler because they are simply uncomfortable. Combine this with the fact that the Wrangler fad will likely wear off (like the hummer fad did) and I think Jeep will have to make drastic moves to keep people buying wranglers. I've spent a lot of time in Range Rovers and Mercedes SUV's and while those are more expensive than Wranglers, they are simply better vehicles for the average person. The only reason people buy Wranglers right now is because they are cool and once that wears off, Jeep will have to give people another reason to buy a Wrangler.

Part of what makes me thing that eventually they'll go the IFS route is government rules and regulations. Auto manufacturers have to meet guidelines these days in terms of how much pollution their cars put out, as well as how many MPGs they get. Ford went with Aluminum frames on their trucks to reduce weight, while Jeep has been going with 8 speed (or is it more?) automatic transmissions to help with fuel economy.

I read that FCA is going to introduce a hybrid version of the Wrangler in the next 5 or so years, as well as do away with all of their diesels. It seems that at some point they would likely do something like go with an aluminum frame and possibly IFS, as I would think it would lose some weight in comparison to a solid axle (which I assume is a lot heavier than a comparable IFS setup).

I'm merely speculating is all. I'm not an auto manufacturer so I don't know all the guidelines, but I do know that there's a lot of red tape and guidelines you've got to overcome these days when building a vehicle.

You couldn't build a TJ in this day and age, I'm pretty sure of that.

Also understand that I'm talking about maybe 10 years from now, not tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see how the new Ford Bronco feeds into the evolution of the JL. Nobody's challenged Jeep in that arena for some time, Mahindra is getting their foot in the door, but the regulations are too much for their Jeep. There's no way a factory CJ-2A could be sold new today.

It'll be interesting to see how the new Ford Bronco feeds into the evolution of the JL. Nobody's challenged Jeep in that arena for some time, Mahindra is getting their foot in the door, but the regulations are too much for their Jeep. There's no way a factory CJ-2A could be sold new today.

You couldn't even sell a TJ today. Like you said, too many regulations.

I really do wish someone would challenge Jeep though. I think either ford could do it with the Bronco, or Toyota. Competition is good though, and I think that Jeep has been without competition almost forever.

The only reason people buy Wranglers right now is because they are cool and once that wears off, Jeep will have to give people another reason to buy a Wrangler.

Only reason? I doubt that. Certainly it has helped the surge in sales, but they've been selling the same basic looking box sitting on solid axles since what, the mid 1940's? History doesn't suggest that the allure is wearing off but if they continue making it too fancy (expensive) that could kill some of its appeal.

Part of what makes me thing that eventually they'll go the IFS route is government rules and regulations.

Yup, the government intervention wildcard, if there’s one thing this inept, lethargic, do-nothing sack of shit government is hyper-efficient at is f’ing up a good thing

Reactions: Chris
Yup, the government intervention wildcard, if there’s one thing this inept, lethargic, do-nothing sack of shit government is hyper-efficient at is f’ing up a good thing

Precisely. I'm not entirely sure what the government rules and regulations are with new auto manufacturing, but I know it continues to get more and more strict with each passing year. They've got to hit MPG requirements, efficiency requirements, weight, etc.

The new Wranglers have an 8 speed automatic, and my understanding is they did that purely to squeeze more MPGs out of it.

Only reason? I doubt that. Certainly it has helped the surge in sales, but they've been selling the same basic looking box sitting on solid axles since what, the mid 1940's? History doesn't suggest that the allure is wearing off but if they continue making it too fancy (expensive) that could kill some of its appeal.

They've been selling the same box on wheels since 1941 but the demographics and the amount of people buying them has changed recently. In the last few years, car quality has become ten times better and the Wrangler isn't really keeping up with the quality increase. People have also changed. People nowadays expect more comfort and are less "rugged". No one is going to want a rough riding Wrangler to drive to the mall when they are no longer cool to own. Hell, if I wasn't into offroading, there is no way in hell I'd buy a Wrangler.
Wrangler sales have skyrocketed in the past few years because of the JKU. The 4 door version made the Jeep a practical vehicle for non-offroad people and I believe that Jeep had to make the 4 door to keep Wranglers relevant. How many 2 door JK's do you see driving around? In my opinion, there are two types of Wrangler buyers, a small amount are off-road enthusiasts and a larger amount are people who want to look cool in a Wrangler. People are going to start to realize that buying a Wrangler for daily driving makes no sense once the "coolness factor" wears off. Therefore, Jeep will have to make the Wrangler better for daily driving.

Reactions: Bird and Chris