Do you use your CB radio often?

mxz800

Instigator
Supporting Member
I'm debating if I should get a CB for the Jeep. When I was driving to Florida, and back in the 90's I would listen to hear what if anything was going on ahead of me. I just don't know if a lot of people bother with CB's now that everyone has a cellphone.

Every time I take the Jeep out... but then, that's always on trails with at least one other vehicle...

On road? Nope, don't even have one in my tow vehicle.

Used mine a week ago on the highway when I ran into parking lot. An 18 wheeler a couple miles ahead told me what the hold up was.

Reactions: Blondie70
Id rather use my CB than be a pirate and use rugged radios but it depends on the group im wheeling with.

• Haha
Reactions: EzPeezy
I've never found any success on the road with the CB. Rarely hear anyone say anything even on the trucker channels.

It seems a lot of groups are switching away from CB's for some odd reason. They've always seemed to work great for me. I think it is just people looking for things to spend money on.

I've been looking into rugged radios but haven't found a kit they make that seems to fit my uses. I also thought they were just fancy CB radios, so maybe I need to do more research.

I would appreciate some education if anyone has any idea towards what people are switching towards and what to get to catch up...

Yep, use the CB on every organizrd trail ride. I can hardly wait until the CB diehards finally give up on the technology so I don't need to carry multiple radios.

Id rather use my CB than be a pirate and use rugged radios but it depends on the group im wheeling with.
You could always get a license to go along with that rebadged and overpriced BaoFeng radio. That aside, 2m radios are a night and day difference from CB.

Reactions: EzPeezy
You could always get a license to go along with that rebadged and overpriced BaoFeng radio. That aside, 2m radios are a night and day difference from CB.

I was under the impression the business band frequencies we use are still "illegal". Maybe im wrong.

I believe rugged radio has some permission to transmit on a small handful of frequencies in specific locations. I think where they venture into the gray area is that the device itself can be programmed to transmit on frequencies they are not authorized. Luckily, the HAM police force is very small.

But back to the topic on of the thread, outside of Jeeping activities I have communicated exactly once on my CB. However, in full disclosure I only tried once so technically every time I have tried I have been successful.

I don't see how a cell phone could possibly replace CB. GMRS, certainly. Ham, possibly. Cell phone - completely different usage model.

I don't see how a cell phone could possibly replace CB. GMRS, certainly. Ham, possibly. Cell phone - completely different usage model.
Depends on what you are trying to do... communicate with random people? Sure CB... communicate with 1 or 2 other vehicles in convoy? Cell works better.

The body of my Jeep could handle wheeling/ convoy my body wouldn't so I was wondering if anyone used the CB radio for anything else.

When I drive 45 minutes into the big city of Portland I've had 90 year old guys offer me the electric cart they were going to use. My arthritis doesn't like me sitting that long I'm not complaining just explaining, we all have our cross to bare.

Yep, use the CB on every organizrd trail ride. I can hardly wait until the CB diehards finally give up on the technology so I don't need to carry multiple radios.
Ive found multiple radios useful. All of the Jeep events I go to use CB's but a smaller group of guys I know better can use the GMRS to keep the chatter and sarcastic comments of the CB that everyone can hear.

The group I wheel with was big into CB's until about a year ago. We've all switched to GMRS now. I'm keeping the CB in the Jeep but don't see myself using it anytime soon.

We've had great luck with the Baofengs. We use them on the highway when towing, on the trails and even back and forth to base camp when needed.