Dodge Durango Steering Gear Retrofit FAQ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
As there seems to be a lot of Jeep owners out there considering this swap and because we have done the swap ourselves we decided to provide our readers with an article on the subject.

In this article we are not going to provide you with step by step instructions on how to swap your TJ steering gear with a Durango steering gear. There are far to many sites out there (and manuals for that matter) that provide this information.

What we do hope to do is to clear up the confusion behind this conversion and to answer the questions that we see all over the net on forum groups pertaining to this swap.

Misconceptions surrounding the Durango steering gear

The Durango steering gear is more heavy duty than the TJ.

This is a hard statement to quantify. It depends on what you consider to be "heavy duty". The fact is that the Durango gear has the same casting thickness to the housing as the TJ, however the actual size of the piston and bore are a bigger diameter than the TJ. Therefore the Durango gear is better suited for turning larger tires and is the entire reason for changing over to it if you are running larger tires on your Jeep.

The Durango gear has a tighter turning radius.
Absolutely not! It's funny to read the forums and see what some people write. Turning radius is determined by where your steering stops are set at the axle not the steering gear.

The Durango gear with the 3 3/8 "stop to stop" is faster than the one with 2 15/16 turns because it is a higher ratio.
This is a very common misconception as a lot of guys think of this number as a "Ratio" IT IS NOT A RATIO, it is an actual measurement of number of turns from stop to stop and refers to how many full turns of the steering wheel it takes to go from one steering stop (full left for example) to the other (full right). The lesser the turns of the wheel the "faster" the steering is said to be. Therefore if you have a gear that takes 4 turns from stop to stop it would take 4 full revolutions of the wheel to go from full turn in one direction to the other. The stock TJs gear is 3 3/8 turns lock to lock. The Non-Snow package gear on the Durango is 2 15/16" which is a bit faster but isn't really that big a difference as to be noticeable in everyday driving.

The Durango gear with the snow plow option is heavier duty.
The difference between the two options as it was explained to us by our local steering gear re builder is that the gear with the snow plow option had extra ports for the plow lines and also have the larger stop to stop number (see specs below). Therefore the "NON-plow" gear is the one that you want for the TJ swap. There is no difference in the housing thickness or piston/bore diameter.

The questions we see asked most often are these:

Which year Durango gear do I use?
The answer here is '98 or '99 Durangos, non-plow option. I have not seen a difference in part numbers due to the engine installed but if you are asked, specify the 318 engine. We prefer the non-snow option gear due to the above listed quicker steering response.

What year of TJs does this swap work on?
1997-2002 model year TJs. The hose size, bolt patterns and steering shaft input are identical for these years TJ boxes to the '98 and '99 Durangos. 2003 and later model year TJs had a Mercedes gearbox with different bolt patterns and hose sizes so the swap won't work for them.

Will replacing the steering gear fix the loose steering on my lifted TJ?
The answer here really is no. Several things can contribute to loose steering which can include but are not limited to: Loose tie rod ends, worn steering column shaft or joints, loose or broken pitman arm, ball joints and caster angle. Also, DO NOT think that replacing the steering stabilizer will fix loose steering problems. Replacing the gear will rarely fix loose steering either. Usually the gear is replaced when an over abundance of oil is seen leaking from it's seals. Most owners will report that changing from the stock TJ gear to the Durango gear did nothing to fix a loose steering condition.

Can the gear be adjusted to solve loose steering?
Yes and No, there is an adjustment for the gear lash on top of the saginaw gear boxes however they are usually adjusted correctly from the factory or rebuild shop. Improper adjustment of the nut on top of the gear can lead to binding of the gears and destruction of the gear, therefore it is advised that if you don't know what you are doing you leave it to a good mechanic that does. Also from what we have seen, adjusting the gear rarely completely solves loose steering problems.

A few things to consider about doing the Durango gear swap:
If you have a stock TJ there is no real reason to do this swap. The major reason for the Durango swap is due to the increased turning power provided by the larger internal piston which is better suited for Jeeps with larger than stock tires (34" or larger)

A word on core returns:
The pimple faced kid at the local Shucks/Checker or Autozone parts store probably knows much less about actual auto parts than he does about loud chrome mufflers for Hondas so you may slide your TJ gear past them as a core return for the Durango gear. However, most knowledgeable mechanics and re builders will check part numbers and can tell the difference. Ask if you can return a stock TJ gear in exchange for the Durango gear BEFORE you buy just in case, otherwise you could be out a lot of money. One reputable re builder here in the Seattle area was willing to take our old TJ gear in exchange but stated that it wasn't something he would do on a regular basis. We sweetened the pot a bit with an additional TJ gear which was worn out and on it's way to the dump anyway.

The Specifics
  • Swap only good on '97 - '02 model TJs.
  • Durango gear needed: '98 or '99, V8 engine.
  • We prefer the NON-Snow gear for it's slightly faster turning.

Stock TJ gear:
Number of Mounting Holes: 3
Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 3 3/8
Input Shaft Diameter: 3/4"
Line Thread Size: M18x1.5; M16x1.5
Output Shaft Diameter: 1.25"
Purchase here

Durango NON-Snow Package:
Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 2 15/16
Type of Hose Ports: O Ring
Part Number: 277588

Durango Snow Package:
Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 3 3/8
Type of Hose Ports: O Ring
Part Number: 277580

Visual Comparison
Here's a factory TJ unit on the left, and the Dodge Durango unit on the right:

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find Chris. This is probably the most concise write up I've seen on this swap.
Thanks for posting!

Glad I was able to find it. I think this answers a lot of the questions that commonly come up in regards to the swap.

Glad I was able to find it. I think this answers a lot of the questions that commonly come up in regards to the swap.
It does pretty well except for the part about ratio. It is a gear set therefore there is a ratio between the number of turns between the steering wheel/input shaft and the pitman arm/sector shaft. That is also why steering gears are called "steering gears", are defined by fixed ratio or variable ratio, and a number signifying what that ratio is. He may be trying to clear up confusion between what is a slow or fast ratio, but it is a ratio.

Reactions: Chris
It does pretty well except for the part about ratio. It is a gear set therefore there is a ratio between the number of turns between the steering wheel/input shaft and the pitman arm/sector shaft. That is also why steering gears are called "steering gears", are defined by fixed ratio or variable ratio, and a number signifying what that ratio is. He may be trying to clear up confusion between what is a slow or fast ratio, but it is a ratio.

If I can come up with the right wording, I'll add a disclaimer about this to the original post!

So I did the swap on my 97 w a 99 durango box and I'm having issues w my steering, it has only 1 full turn to the left and 2 full to the right , I tried adjusting the pitman arm position but its same result, please help b4 I take it off and put a regular tj one.

The Durango gear with the snow plow option is heavier duty.
The difference between the two options as it was explained to us by our local steering gear re builder is that the gear with the snow plow option had extra ports for the plow lines and also have the larger stop to stop number (see specs below).

So, since the ports are already there, this would be better suited to use in conjuction of a ram assist?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Does it slide on easy? I am getting a lot of resistance and the arm isn't flush with the box.
There is no "flush with the box". The splined section in the arm goes up high enough to allow full thread engagement of the nut plus the lock washer, but not so high that the nut bottoms out on the shoulder of the splines on the sector shaft. There is no other point of reference.

Reactions: RiderofRohan
so I've done all my research read all about the Durango TJ swaps but still found some confusion. I Called redhead steering gears to order my 99 Durango steering gear (NON PLOW) but they tell me that the one I want is the snow plow one. They say that is the one that has the larger bore/piston and (18:1) 4 turn to help turn bigger tires. They say there is no extra ports in the plow package one like others are saying. They tell me that the non plow package one does indeed NOT have the larger bore piston. Basically it's the same as the stock TJ just with 4 turns. NOT only that but then when I go to my local O'Reilly store to see their pricing and their options. Both the snow plow and non snow plow are the same turn (neither which are 4) there's no specs to tell me which one does or does not have the larger bore/piston. So I originally ordered a non snow plow one from O'Reilly's thinking it is the upgraded one I want. But then thought about and priced out the redhead one and decided to go with them instead. It is quite a bit more but they also offer the non snow plow option for the same price as the O'Reilly one but are trying to tell me that it is not the stronger one. Also one more comment per some of the research I've done. If the non snow plow one in some of the things I've read had less turns from lock-to-lock wouldn't you want the more turns lock-to-lock so that it is essentially easier as it would be presumed (geared lower) for a lack of better term. Redhead tells me stock TJ is 15:1 and the snow plow package one for the Durango is 18:1. The real question here is how do we know what we're actually getting at the stores with the cheaper brand remanufactured steering gears if we don't know what's on the inside. now I don't know what to buy or order other than just listening to redhead and spending more money than I really need to. Redheads non snow plow one is $296 and the snow plow package one is $406 plus $70 shipping there and back. O'Reilly and Napa's non snow plow one is $216 $296. does anyone really know what they're talking about?

On top of how highly people speak of Redhead and how they bore out every unit for bearing upgrades, I wouldnt risk using an auto parts store. people have these buisnesses for a reason. Id trust Redhead and id make sire I got that in an email. just in case you got bad intel. also. you may have seen this but just in case you didnt heres a good break down https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/dodge-durango-steering-gear-retrofit-faq.4113/

So are autoparts store ones not good? Also can we come to some kind of conclusion on the snow plow vs non plow version?

The dodge durango box isnt an upgrade. The lower steering shaft rides on bushings because it is made for an IFS suspension. The solid front axle a TJ has will eventually beat that bushing down. To consider it an upgrade the bushings really ought to be replaced with bearings. Lares has a box on Rock Auto called the "rockcrawler" box, which is supposedly a durango box but it has bearings instead of a bushing. I have no experience with it but it might be worth considering. Otherwise I'd shoot for a reman'd box from NAPA, a reman'd box from West TX Offroad, or use this as an excuse and spring for PSC.

Advance Auto & Rock Auto & Oreilly sell the same Lares part 1353 for both the TJ & the non-snow plow Durango, now 5-5-2020. So there is no difference. It states 3.5 - 4 turns lock to lock. Question is, did they step up to the Durango specs or down to the TJ?
The Lares plow part 1418 states 2.9 turns lock to lock.
I called Lares.
The 1353 does use bearings on the lower steering shaft.
The 1418 plow version uses bushings.
The Rockcrawler box 1352 has 4 mounting bolts, larger housing & larger piston.
Every manufacturer has different specs on lock to lock.

Last edited: