Dodge Durango Steering Gear Retrofit FAQ

I did the swap last night and everything went pretty smoothly until I drove it. I bleed the lines with the wheels off the ground and 25-35 lock to lock turns (engine not running). Fluid was added through out the process. Once fluid levels remained consistent I started the engine and continued to turn lock to lock, adding a little fluid until fluid level remained consistent again.

As I was turning the wheel Lock to lock during the bleeding process I noticed x2 a binding “feel” then it released and continued turning.

I then took it for a drive.........there is something not right! There is significant binding when turning. It occurs a couple times while steering but is smooth at others times. One of the binding moments is occurring as I begin to turn to the right which is really sketchy. The feel on the road is really “twitchy”, way more than befor the swap. While driving I kept my speed under 25mph

Anyone else have this issue? I need some advice and help

The Specifics
  • Swap only good on '97 - '02 model TJs.
  • Durango gear needed: '98 or '99, V8 engine.
  • We prefer the NON-Snow gear for it's slightly faster turning.

Stock TJ gear:
Number of Mounting Holes: 3
Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 3 3/8
Input Shaft Diameter: 3/4"
Line Thread Size: M18x1.5; M16x1.5
Output Shaft Diameter: 1.25"
Purchase here

Durango NON-Snow Package:
Number of Mounting Holes: 3
Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 2 15/16
Input Shaft Diameter: 3/4"
Line Thread Size: M18x1.5; M16x1.5
Output Shaft Diameter: 1.25"
Type of Hose Ports: O Ring
Purchase here
By using the larger bore piston steering gear on a 1997 Jeep TJ, does the steering pump or adding a cooler need to be upgraded?

By using the larger bore piston steering gear on a 1997 Jeep TJ, does the steering pump or adding a cooler need to be upgraded?

No, but a steering cooler is always a good idea and something I'd recommend.

I'd rather have hydro-assist PSC than a Durango gearbox though, that's for sure.

I did the swap last night and everything went pretty smoothly until I drove it. I bleed the lines with the wheels off the ground and 25-35 lock to lock turns (engine not running). Fluid was added through out the process. Once fluid levels remained consistent I started the engine and continued to turn lock to lock, adding a little fluid until fluid level remained consistent again.

As I was turning the wheel Lock to lock during the bleeding process I noticed x2 a binding “feel” then it released and continued turning.

I then took it for a drive.........there is something not right! There is significant binding when turning. It occurs a couple times while steering but is smooth at others times. One of the binding moments is occurring as I begin to turn to the right which is really sketchy. The feel on the road is really “twitchy”, way more than befor the swap. While driving I kept my speed under 25mph

Anyone else have this issue? I need some advice and help
I’ve had the Durango box in my 01 for probably 10 years. Went through the same steps as you. It has always been harder to steer. No one finger steering. It has never left my mind especially when I jump in a stock TJ or even one with 32’s and the steering is feather light. I changed the box, then the pump, no change to feel. Mine also doesn’t return well to center, but I’m also do a cut and turn to fix caster after going to a hp 30. I wonder about trying the wj pump from the 4.7. Does anybody have any experience with that mod

The Durango gear with the snow plow option is heavier duty.
The difference between the two options as it was explained to us by our local steering gear re builder is that the gear with the snow plow option had extra ports for the plow lines and also have the larger stop to stop number (see specs below).

So, since the ports are already there, this would be better suited to use in conjuction of a ram assist?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
HAve you found any more info?
Because I have the same question if the snow plow ports can be used to set up hydro assist.