Does a Dana 30 Aussie locker make any noise in 2WD?

Karl

TJ Enthusiast
Looking at getting a lunchbox locker up front. Considering Aussie locker or powertrax no slip.

It appears that while in 2WD, the "no slip" makes no noise in daily driving. I would like to know if the Aussie locker makes any noise in 2WD if it's up front in the Dana 30?

I have read that an aussie locker up front in 2WD makes no noise, makes only ratcheting noise, and sometimes even bangs. Which is it actually? The only reason I care is the aussie locker is much cheaper.

Anyone with experience that can clear this up?

Thanks!

It will chatter like crazy if you have one wheel that has traction when braking and the other is sliding too, just like when you have one tire on ice an the other is on dry pavement.

Reactions: Karl
You get used to the noise pretty fast. Mine seems to have more of a noise when turning left but nothing concerning. The first trip out with it in 4-Low I was getting a popping from the left front when turning under power though so I’ll have to check that out if it continues.

Reactions: Karl
You get used to the noise pretty fast. Mine seems to have more of a noise when turning left but nothing concerning. The first trip out with it in 4-Low I was getting a popping from the left front when turning under power though so I’ll have to check that out if it continues.
I could hear that thing when I was in front or behind you. My Aussie is near silent at all times when driving. I can only hear it click when I have one wheel in the air and I turn that wheel while wrenching on it.

You will hear it clicking in 2wd, with the window down and radio off. In 4wd its more noticeable when turning as it locks and unlocks. Ran one for 7yrs with no issues..

Mine is silent during most driving. It does ratchet in turns, but I don't even notice it anymore. It certainly is not annoyingly loud. Off-road it is outstanding. It is, without a doubt, the best mod I have done for off-roading.

Please keep us updated on the progress - I'd like to get a locker, but really don't want to upgrade the axles (I know it's recommended and I know it should be done - just really don't want to).
You don't need to upgrade the front axles until you get to 35's. An upgrade to the 5-760x u joint is a good to do while you are there, however.

Reactions: Richard Brust
I could hear that thing when I was in front or behind you. My Aussie is near silent at all times when driving. I can only hear it click when I have one wheel in the air and I turn that wheel while wrenching on it.
You’re not helping my concerns... 😂 my drivers side hub is shot so I’m going to start there, but not getting my hopes up at all for that being the issue. Worst case scenario I can have the Aussie pulled out in an hour or less.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
You don't need to upgrade the front axles until you get to 35's. An upgrade to the 5-760x u joint is a good to do while you are there, however.

Broke an outer on 31s with lockers...

20191027_162058.jpg

Please keep us updated on the progress - I'd like to get a locker, but really don't want to upgrade the axles (I know it's recommended and I know it should be done - just really don't want to).
I wouldn't worry about upgrading the front shafts until you get to 35's and are doing tough trails. It took me a while to finally break a front axle shaft but that was with 35's and it was on an exceptionally tough trail. The front shafts seldom see more than about 50% of the load the rear axle shafts see on a regular basis.

Reactions: Raymund
I wouldn't worry about upgrading the front shafts until you get to 35's...

Thanks for the input - I have 31's and probably 100% certain that's as big as I'll go - SE with 4 mighty cylinders. Actually, I did not notice a diff when going from stock to 31, but I just don't see a need with the trails I'm on.

... and if I'm being totally honest, this is solely a want, not even close to a need - never been stuck and the only time I seem to get a wheel in the air is rutted roads, not rocks (for some reason).

Reactions: Jerry Bransford