Does anybody out there know of a way to make farm shit smell like roses?

Hook_62

"The Exception"
Supporting Member
So, I live in Lancaster Co. PA, if you are familiar, this is farmland USA. Winter is in the rearview mirror for the most part and things have started to thaw. Thing is, I truly believe that all the farmers around here call each other. "Hey Amos, You gonna spread shit tomorrow? I think we should, You call John, I'll call Mike and Bob".

The smell of shit is absolutely everywhere, you can't run from it, you can't hide from it, it's in your backyard, your living room, damn, it's even under my pillow!!! It's a conspiracy I tell ya,,, all the farmers are in cahoots!

So the question is. Does anybody out there know of a way to make farm shit smell like roses?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: jeff G and Chris
It's an aquired taste. 🙂 You eventually get used to it. I lived in Corona CA dairy land many many years ago. Its now a whole suburb called Eastvale. They built houses over the cow poop.
Sad to say, one gets used to the smell.
Moving is a good option if it's doable.

As I am a farmer I'm not going to comment on what I think about this too much lol but I'm surprised that many farmers in your area spread actual manure. Most of the midwest uses commercial fertilizer 90% of the time. You must be in an area heavy in livestock. I wouldn't complain too much because someone works in the atmosphere everyday to make a living, imagine being the one who gets to pressure wash that equipment, it's not fun, trust me I know. So try not to complain too much, you probably have it much better than you think.

You're not going to make it smell like roses but as it dries and decomposes it will get better. In one week it won't be bad, 3 weeks it'll be gone.

As I am a farmer I'm not going to comment on what I think about this too much lol but I'm surprised that many farmers in your area spread actual manure. Most of the midwest uses commercial fertilizer 90% of the time. You must be in an area heavy in livestock. I wouldn't complain too much because someone works in the atmosphere everyday to make a living, imagine being the one who gets to pressure wash that equipment, it's not fun, trust me I know. So try not to complain too much, you probably have it much better than you think.

You're not going to make it smell like roses but as it dries and decomposes it will get better. In one week it won't be bad, 3 weeks it'll be gone.
I know it. been living here forever. just kinda struck me yesterday as I was passing all the farms, must have seen 5 or 6 tractors all doin the same thing, spreading. Post was made to mainly get a laugh. Hardly any commercial fertilizers used here, most have livestock, lots of dairy farms also. sometimes the smell can be overwhelming, and you are correct, in a few days the smell will be gone,,, till the next spread. Maybe they have website for county shit spread day? hadn't thought of that.

Be thankful its cow shit, I work in a hog slaughterhouse and pig shit sticks to you. Literally, walk through the hog barn and you will smell like it all day, if you touch it nothing will get the smell out

Reactions: Hook_62
I've had Chicken $hit spread by the local egg farm. Some states have laws where it has to be incorporated (worked into the soil) within 24 hours.

I sold the house and buildings off a farm I had bought, several years/owners later a couple of retired chicago lawyers bought it as a "summer house". Egg farm is 3 miles away and they were looking for a place to spread. Free fertilizer! I'm in.

They got about 3/4 of it covered. When I checked to see why they hadn't finished....the lawyers called them and put the fear of god in them and quoted the law stating it had to be incorporated in 24 hrs.

I'm guessing that the law only applies when someone complains. Not really enough livestock around here to be a problem.

Guessing it will clear up with a rain!

BTW: Now I'd knock the house down, to hell with neighbors.

Reactions: Cornbread
Be thankful its cow shit, I work in a hog slaughterhouse and pig shit sticks to you. Literally, walk through the hog barn and you will smell like it all day, if you touch it nothing will get the smell out

I need to remember this next time I shake your hand! Lol!

I grew up with dairy land on 2 sides of us, they used the giant crap shooters (imagine your lawn sprinkler with a 4 inch pipe feeding it) . I actually miss it a bit now days. It only bothered us when we were having company over for a potluck, lol. We just took the shindig back in the house then.

It's like living at the beach and cursing the salt air. Or living in the forest and stepping over deer shit. Best choice is move to the Portland and live under a park bench.

We lived on the edge of town, backing onto fields. Some of the neighbours would snow mobile across the field which pissed off the farmer since the packed snoe tracks took an extra 2 weeks to melt. He complained every spring but the city slickers just ignored him so he let the field go fallow and started fertilizing before every long weekend. They got the point.

So, I live in Lancaster Co. PA, if you are familiar, this is farmland USA.

So the question is. Does anybody out there know of a way to make farm shit smell like roses ?

You'd like it to smell like fresh corn bread, or perhaps BBQ beef steak ?
Just askin' . . . . :rolleyes:

Where I live, all the 'eco-greenies' complain about the logging . . . .
Bet that they still buy and use toilet paper though . . .

Last edited:
It's an aquired taste. 🙂 You eventually get used to it. I lived in Corona CA dairy land many many years ago. Its now a whole suburb called Eastvale. They built houses over the cow poop.
Sad to say, one gets used to the smell.
Moving is a good option if it's doable.

I'm a retired land developer. Municipalities regularly required that we put warning clauses in our new home sales agreements that advised buyers of the proximity of active farmland. Not surprisingly both we and the municipalities still got complaints after people moved in.