Does anyone actually install gears following the FSM procedure?

whitrzac

TJ Enthusiast
Watched a lot of videos, read a lot of how to forum posts, read the FSM...

The way the FSM describes setting pinion depth, preload, etc is 100% different than any how to or video I've seen.

So does anyone actually follow the FSM procedure on installing gears or do it their own way?

I've never heard of the FSM procedure. Does it go by another name? I am curious about it because I'm about to start with the installation of my gears into my dana 35.

The FSM procedure uses some dealer tools and markings that (as far as I know) only exist on OEM gears to set the pinion depth, instead of using the pattern. I don't know how often it's used outside the dealership.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Watched a lot of videos, read a lot of how to forum posts, read the FSM...

The way the FSM describes setting pinion depth, preload, etc is 100% different than any how to or video I've seen.

So does anyone actually follow the FSM procedure on installing gears or do it their own way?
Unless you're buying OEM (Dana/Spicer) gears, its a crap shoot. I suppose, if you had the special tools that bolt in place of the carrier bearings, you could measure your current pinion, and maybe estimate the shims you need for the new pinion, but you're still going to be reading a pattern.