Does anyone else have a friend like this?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Does anyone else have a friend or someone they know who has somehow managed to go through life and managed to exist but not much else beyond that? Since the early 90s I've been friends with this guy who I long considered to be one of my best friends. We went to school together (including college) and while we were two totally different types, we still had a lot in common in our younger years. His father is a successful lawyer, and his father's father (his grandpa) was also a successful lawyer as well.

He is an only child and his parents are pretty well off. They always offered to pay for all of his school and he really had the way paved for him had he chosen to go down that path. Sometime around high school he started getting weird. Well, he'd always been a little weird, but come high school he started getting really weird. He went through this stage where he was afraid to leave the house. I'd ask him why and he'd tell me that he just felt like it was too dangerous. One time when we did managed to get him to leave the house we had to go out to the middle of nowhere to buy a car he'd been looking at. In the process he went into a full blown panic attack (in the middle of nowhere) complaining he could barely breathe. During his panic he begin to prognosticate and about what might happen if he had a heart attack in the middle of nowhere and couldn't get medical help. At the time he was 21 years old and perfectly healthy without any history of medical problems whatsoever.

Not long after he was diagnosed with depression. I believe it too, because he went from being a generally upbeat and fun to be around guy that I knew in high school to a much more depressive and dreary individual to be around. Life kept on moving and he dropped out of college, moved back in with his parents, and somehow managed to continue skating through life without actually doing anything.

He didn't get his first job until he was probably in his late 20s to early 30s. Upon getting his first job it lasted a week. Fast forward to current day (he's 39 now) and he's had probably 50 different jobs but none of them has lasted more than a week. He'll get a job, work there for a week, then quit. When I ask him why he keeps doing this and has never in his life had a job lasting more than a week, he'll respond by telling me, "Unless someone is going to pay me really good money for doing all this hard labor, I'm not going to work there.". He'll then proceed to tell me about how it's not fair that other people are getting paid $100 an hour for desk work when he's getting paid minimum wage for hard labor.

At 39 years old his parents are still paying for his food, his rent (he has a roommate who we've known since high school), etc. His mom still goes clothes shopping for him, buys him clothes she likes, then brings them home so he can decide which ones he likes and which ones he doesn't like. She returns the ones he doesn't like and he keeps the rest. He's never had a girlfriend in his entire life and mark my word, he will never, ever get married or have kids.

He's socially awkward and incredibly strange. He has no friends except me and his roommate from high school. I've tried to help him many times but he refuses to put in any real effort. At some point I gave up on trying to help him and just accepted that this is the way he's going to be for the rest of his life (which it is). He's here on this earth only to exist, nothing more. He has no car and takes an Uber everywhere he goes (which he rarely goes out). He sleeps 16 plus hours a day too.

It's very hard for me to be around him these days because it's depressing. I still maintaining a friendship with him because he's one of the only guys I still talk to from way back in the day, so I like to have that connection. Still, he's squandered his life and seems to have accepted this himself. It's really, really bizarre.

I feel bad for the guy, but as I always tell him, he is is own worst enemy. I've tried over the years to be motivational towards him. I tell him that he can change his life at any moment by deciding to get up, put himself together, and commit himself to something. It never, ever works. I've 100% accepted that this is how he will be the rest of his life. It's caused me in more recent years to move away from him more. I'm married with kids, a career, a house, and responsibilities. The people I generally choose to hangout with are people in the same situation. It's hard to find time to hang out with a guy who at the bare minimum doesn't even have a wife or a girlfriend to bring around.

I don't know how people end up like this, but it's certainly not uncommon it these days. Some of it I blame on him being an only child. Other parts I blame on his mom being one of the most neurotic, overbearing, and OCD people I've ever met. He was never even allowed to have a pet as a child and his home always resembled that of a clean, well kept museum on the inside. He was always too afraid of girls to ever make a move or even attempt to talk to one. He would always marvel at other people's successes, but instead of going out and making his own success he would look to me and say, "That's not fair that they get that but I don't.". In recent years he's even tried to float the idea to me that he'd thrive in a communist society because everything would be given to him. I have to not so gently remind him that in a communist society if they give you a job you don't just get to quit it. You work when they tell you to work and if you don't they'll throw you in a gulag. If you don't work there they'll simply kill you.

With all this being said, does anyone else have a friend or someone they know that is like this?

At some point it’s important to know when a friendship has run its course, and it sounds like this one has.

Reactions: inkedrose
At some point it’s important to know when a friendship has run its course, and it sounds like this one has.

It ran it's course probably 10 years ago. I only keep in contact with him a few times a month just to reminisce about the past and growing up. If it wasn't for that I don't think we'd be friends at all. He's a very strange guy these days.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
It ran it's course probably 10 years ago. I only keep in contact with him a few times a month just to reminisce about the past and growing up. If it wasn't for that I don't think we'd be friends at all. He's a very strange guy these days.

Yeah it doesn’t really sound like you have much of a friendship anymore, so what’s the point of continuing the contact? Also it sounds like you’re doing all the heavy lifting of the friendship. Does he ever reach out to you or is it pretty one sided? Is holding onto the past with him really adding any value to your life? Sounds to me like you’re just wasting time and energy on him.

Yeah it doesn’t really sound like you have much of a friendship anymore, so what’s the point of continuing the contact? Also it sounds like you’re doing all the heavy lifting of the friendship. Does he ever reach out to you or is it pretty one sided? Is holding onto the past with him really adding any value to your life? Sounds to me like you’re just wasting time and energy on him.

He reaches out to me all the time, sometimes way too much. I don’t dislike him in any way, it’s more that I’m just flabbergasted that anyone could choose to live their life like this and somehow be okay with it. Or at least okay enough to not want to change. I’d love to be inside his head.

He reaches out to me all the time, sometimes way too much. I don’t dislike him in any way, it’s more that I’m just flabbergasted that anyone could choose to live their life like this and somehow be okay with it. Or at least okay enough to not want to change. I’d love to be inside his head.

My dad had a friend who pretty much lived at home all his life, well into his 60s. Your friend has at least had quite a few jobs, this dude I think maybe had 3 ever. I dunno what his deal was. He passed away a few years ago… turns out he wasn’t completely worthless, he was apparently the glue that held together their old man backyard volleyball league.

At 39 years old his parents are still paying for his food, his rent (he has a roommate who we've known since high school), etc. His mom still goes clothes shopping for him, buys him clothes she likes, then brings them home so he can decide which ones he likes and which ones he doesn't like. She returns the ones he doesn't like and he keeps the rest.

That right there, his parents, are the base of his problems, and people like him. Far too many people are coddled and sheltered nowadays. I know a few people like that, one being a brother-in-law who is 27, has a child and still lives with mommy. But they continue to dance around him and do things for him without even being asked.

Personally, I cut those type of people out of my life. If they're "nice guys" not looking for trouble I'll still talk to them now and then, but I won't go out of my way as they tend to just drag me down, and I don't want to live like them. Also, I have a life and family, as do you, so not much time to waste.

Reactions: R49
That right there, his parents, are the base of his problems, and people like him. Far too many people are coddled and sheltered nowadays. I know a few people like that, one being a brother-in-law who is 27, has a child and still lives with mommy. But they continue to dance around him and do things for him without even being asked.

Personally, I cut those type of people out of my life. If they're "nice guys" not looking for trouble I'll still talk to them now and then, but I won't go out of my way as they tend to just drag me down, and I don't want to live like them. Also, I have a life and family, as do you, so not much time to waste.

The good news is that he is a nice guy and doesn’t cause me any trouble. We never actually see each other, I just take his calls every so often to chat. Every once in a while I’ll get to hear one of his phone calls with his mom and you’re right that she is a huge part of the problem. She coddles him to this day like he’s a helpless child.

I guess the good news about my relationship with him is that it always makes for the best stories with my wife. If he was a burden on my life I’d have cut him off, but he isn’t. More or less I’m just musing here as to how astonishing it is that people end up like this.

Reactions: BlueC
I read a book a few years ago called “12 Rules For Life” by Jordan Peterson, a professor of psychology and clinical psychologist for decades. It’s a great book that I recommend for anyone. In it Jordan talks about a childhood friend who essentially grows up to be the same man as your friend. In fact the resemblance of the situations is uncanny.
I was raised in a family where my dad made pretty good money. Not layer money but good money. Our house was quite large and it was on a small farm where me and my brothers were required to do all kinds of chores and we had animals to take care of. After graduating middle school, my parents sat me down and told me that if I wanted to do any sports, extra curricular things, etc I would have to get a job that summer to save up and pay for them. They also said I would have to pay for gas and dates. We lived near a sizable sheep ranch so I called the owner, asked if I could work the for the summer, he said I could so that’s where I worked every summer for the next 5 years. Among other things one of my jobs was to pressure wash all the shit out of livestock semi trailers. Almost every time I took girls on dates in the old family truck they would ask why it smelled so farmy and it’s because I drove it home every day from work covered in shit.
Later in college (I worked too during that period of my life) I got in a tight spot with my money because I had purchased a beat up fj60 land cruiser which I was very proud of. I called my mom to ask if she could spot me some money for rent and she said no and that I had to figure something out. I was so mad because I knew she easily could spot me some money and I knew that she knew the only way I could save myself was to sell the fj60. I sold the fj60.
Looking back more than a decade later I am so grateful and feel so blessed to have the parents I have. I know myself well enough to know that if they had made things easy for me I would have been in serious danger of becoming like your friend. Fortunately though they set me up to have no choice but to figure out life and take my place in the world.

I read a book a few years ago called “12 Rules For Life” by Jordan Peterson, a professor of psychology and clinical psychologist for decades. It’s a great book that I recommend for anyone. In it Jordan talks about a childhood friend who essentially grows up to be the same man as your friend. In fact the resemblance of the situations is uncanny.
I was raised in a family where my dad made pretty good money. Not layer money but good money. Our house was quite large and it was on a small farm where me and my brothers were required to do all kinds of chores and we had animals to take care of. After graduating middle school, my parents sat me down and told me that if I wanted to do any sports, extra curricular things, etc I would have to get a job that summer to save up and pay for them. They also said I would have to pay for gas and dates. We lived near a sizable sheep ranch so I called the owner, asked if I could work the for the summer, he said I could so that’s where I worked every summer for the next 5 years. Among other things one of my jobs was to pressure wash all the shit out of livestock semi trailers. Almost every time I took girls on dates in the old family truck they would ask why it smelled so farmy and it’s because I drove it home every day from work covered in shit.
Later in college (I worked too during that period of my life) I got in a tight spot with my money because I had purchased a beat up fj60 land cruiser which I was very proud of. I called my mom to ask if she could spot me some money for rent and she said no and that I had to figure something out. I was so mad because I knew she easily could spot me some money and I knew that she knew the only way I could save myself was to sell the fj60. I sold the fj60.
Looking back more than a decade later I am so grateful and feel so blessed to have the parents I have. I know myself well enough to know that if they had made things easy for me I would have been in serious danger of becoming like your friend. Fortunately though they set me up to have no choice but to figure out life and take my place in the world.

Fantastic book! I’ve read that book and his others as well. I’m a big follower of Jordan Peterson, he's one of my favs.

You’re right, just thinking about this friend of mine draws so many parallels between Jordan’s friend and mine. It always starts with the parents. That is what is to blame for so much of society today, the parenting or lack thereof.

Reactions: HornedToad
Your friend has serious issues. My advise would be to stay away from him because you don't wanna be near him when he finally implodes.
He can only help himself, but he's too busy blaming everyone else for his short comings.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
I always wonder where they end up after the enablers die.

I wanted to get out on my own. I got married, moved to another city, and bought a house when I was 23.

I guess my parents stuck a foot up our asses enough to make us responsible for ourselves.

I always wonder where they end up after the enablers die.

I wanted to get out on my own. I got married, moved to another city, and bought a house when I was 23.

I guess my parents stuck a foot up our asses enough to make us responsible for ourselves.

Funny you mention that.

Whenever I ask him about this he informs me that once his parents die he is expecting a large inheritance. No doubt he’ll probably get at least a few million. What good does that do though when you’re 65, single, no children, no wife, no one at all?

I’ve posed that same question to him and he has no good answer. I told him that maybe he ought to leave that money to my kids. At least it would be benefiting someone.

Reactions: R49
We always told our kids from an early age they had 3 choices after high school; College, Military or the Bridge.
1 college grad (RN), 2 Sgts. in the Marine Corps, one with a degree and the other working on it (Software Developer/Engineers).
They all support themselves.
Nobody chose the bridge to live under.

Does he know how to do basic functions like cook for himself? Put gas in a car? Pay bills? Etc… he may not last long after his enablers, I mean parents.

Does he know how to do basic functions like cook for himself? Put gas in a car? Pay bills? Etc… he may not last long after his enablers, I mean parents.

Cooking not so much. The other stuff he knows how to do. He didn’t know how to fill out a resume though. He offered me $100 to write him a resume 😆

Chris, you've described my best friend almost to a tee, though we go back 50 years. His path was effortlessly paved for him while my family was borderline poor, I had to do everything. Somehow I knew even as a kid that what seemed a much easier path for him was devoid of important life lessons & somehow wouldn't end well; today he's afflicted with many of the same behaviors as your friend.

My old man was much in the mold of Red Forman, and I thank God every day that he was:

red forman.jpg

Red.jpg

Raising good, well adjusted, normal kids is a rough business, you simply cannot afford to be a pussy about it. I tore a page out of my old man's book & carried on the tradition with my kids & as a result they're both happy & prosperous young adults living NOT in my basement - both gone in their very early 20s.