Does anyone else watch Truck Night in America?

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Howdy everyone,
Does anyone else watch Truck Night in America on the history channel? My daughter really likes it so we watch it each week. Of course I sit here and pick it apart with the things I don't agree with or a mistake I hope I wouldn't make myself. I

Have a good evening.

Yes I watch it, on another thread we were fantasizing about 4 over decorated JK’s competing.

I’m a big fan of the show. I’ve never driven in conditions anything like what they put contestants through, but I’ve spent the last year tearing apart my TJ in my limited spare time to build something of a trail rig. I hope the show gains popularity so they can increase the $10K prize money. Most of those drivers do more than $10K in damage to their truck during the competition.

Glad to hear I’m not alone in watching.

Detroit,
I've read your build thread and you have a nice sounding TJ.

Yes it is amazing the damage done sometimes. But what amazes me most is some of the POS rigs that people bring to the show. I know if I was going to be on the show that I would do my best to make sure my Jeep was 100% sound.

Fun show tonight and it looks like the show tomorrow night is going to even be better. Being a ALL military group it of course is dear to my heart.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Yes I watch it. I was a bit worried for that one lady who took that nasty flip over backwards. Its really a shame the host pistol Pete is no longer with us.

I’m a big fan of the show. I’ve never driven in conditions anything like what they put contestants through, but I’ve spent the last year tearing apart my TJ in my limited spare time to build something of a trail rig. I hope the show gains popularity so they can increase the $10K prize money. Most of those drivers do more than $10K in damage to their truck during the competition.

Glad to hear I’m not alone in watching.
I think this every time I watch it. The prize money rarely covers any damage.

I just started watching and caught up with the episodes On Demand. Pretty quickly I found that I prefer to watch it with the volume muted though. It looks fun, although I don't understand what bashing a small structure off of a cliff face in reverse has to do with anything...

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
It is pretty over scripted and a bit campy, plus they never get into technical stuff or show the actual damage/repairs, but I feel compelled to watch it, usually with a lot of fast forwarding.

I am surprised they haven’t yet addressed Pete’s tragic death.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
I watch it, but more like when you watch a good low speed train wreck. I really just keep thinking if a Jeep owner got on there and just crawled it, they'd win. Way too much skinny pedal. For example, the starting race, how often does someone either stall at the starting line, or break their rig jumping it? Just go slow and steady and continue on. Same with the end run "Green Mile". Moderate speed and most likely you wouldn't suck water into the intake and kill your engine.

Detroit,
I've read your build thread and you have a nice sounding TJ.

Thanks. It's a slow process - I also have a full time job. Got the frame and axles painted last weekend and hoping to build the axles this weekend.

I am surprised they haven’t yet addressed Pete’s tragic death.

Hello, hello. I didn't know Pete had died. Jeez! Gives me more respect for the guys that work on the show. They're not asking contestants to do anything they wouldn't do or haven't already done.

Glen Plake, one of the other hosts, was also a pretty bad ass dude himself back in the day. One of the pioneers of freestyle skiing. He was a maniac back before there was such a thing as freestyle skiing and all the crazy tricks that are now so common.

I watch it, but more like when you watch a good low speed train wreck. I really just keep thinking if a Jeep owner got on there and just crawled it, they'd win. Way too much skinny pedal. For example, the starting race, how often does someone either stall at the starting line, or break their rig jumping it? Just go slow and steady and continue on. Same with the end run "Green Mile". Moderate speed and most likely you wouldn't suck water into the intake and kill your engine.
Isn’t it the “Green Hell”?