Does anyone have an air lift on their TJ?

Kenneth G Zinis

TJ Enthusiast
Guys,

Anyone install air springs on their TJ? Had these on front my old Bronco and loved them, ran at very low pressure, 5-10 PSI I believe, provided great stability and spring control w/o sacrificing ride.

I think Four Wheeler magazine did this on one of their project TJ's. They of course said great things about them.

You don't need air bags inside your springs to have a good ride. And if you inflate the bags to increase your ride height it's going to ride more stiffly. I'd just go for some good riding shocks like Rancho's RS5000x gas-charged shocks and forgot the added complexity of air bags.

I installed an air lift onto my Jeep Cherokee for towing my boat but I deflated those bags completely whenever I wasn't towing the boat.

And no 4x4 magazine like Jp Magazine, Four Wheeler, etc. ever didn't like the products of their advertisers when they did articles on them.

And no 4x4 magazine like Jp Magazine, Four Wheeler, etc. ever didn't like the products of their advertisers when they did articles on them.

I can't find the article online but I remembered it as a why to carry more load. They actually installed them in the front and rear springs. None of the mags ever really said bad things about any product them tested.

It appears the OP is talking about doing something more like the ORO AirRock setup but not have the computer controlling the air pressure in the air bags. If that is why he is wanting I am not sure how it would handle or ride/drive with a set amount of air in each bag.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
We had a guy on the trail with a joystick controlled airbag system. He could jockey the joystick around to basically keep the Jeep more level as he did various trails and obstacles. The problem was he was taking so long messing around with his joystick that everyone kept stacking up behind him as he was more interested in his air bag control than he was taking the right line through the only moderately difficult obstacles. We grew to hate the guy within the first hour on the trail and everyone went around him when they could. More trouble than it was worth. He was obviously new to offroading and had built his TJ so he could minimize non-level angles that were scaring him.

Mine has AirLift load support bags in the rear and I made a simple fill/bleed system. They have been there for several years and I rarely use them.

We had a guy on the trail with a joystick controlled airbag system. He could jockey the joystick around to basically keep the Jeep more level as he did various trails and obstacles. The problem was he was taking so long messing around with his joystick that everyone kept stacking up behind him as he was more interested in his air bag control than he was taking the right line through the only moderately difficult obstacles. We grew to hate the guy within the first hour on the trail and everyone went around him when they could. More trouble than it was worth. He was obviously new to offroading and had built his TJ so he could minimize non-level angles that were scaring him.

You can basically do the same thing with the AirRock system but just use the controls on the dash. The only time I mess with mine is when I am doing a serious sidehill and I adjust mine while driving.

It can be fun to play around with sometimes now and then when I am not holding anyone up on the trail. With the AirRock the computer adjusts the air pressure in the bags based on where it senses each lower control arm is located. Without some type of control over the amount of air in each bag I am not sure how it would work.

I'm thinking of a real basic set-up, no controls, just air in/out

I installed the airlift1000 bags in my rear coils a few weeks ago. I’m running rancho shocks and heavy duty OME coils (LJ coils) on the rear. I have a heavy aftermarket bumper/tire swing with an aluminum fold down shelf and a full Tuffy underseat drawer (no backseat).

The OME LJ coils handle this everyday weight quite well but I needed something more for when loaded down on a extended trip or towing a trailer. My rear coils sagged 1.5-2” when fully loaded and it really felt like I was riding on an over compressed spring. I was experiencing too much body roll. I could feel this ‘body roll‘ from front to back as well when accelerating and braking.

Although I’ve only had the airbags for a few weeks I am very happy with them. For $85 I fixed my occasional sag and body roll issues. I’ve been fully loaded down once and the improvement in ride quality is significant on and off road (gravel/dirt road). Plus the 1.5-2” of sag is gone. I’m still figuring out what psi to run in them loaded vs unloaded. They can make for a jittery suspension if over inflated.

So I say that if you occasionally carry a load or tow a trailer, the air bags are a cheap reliable solution. If you’re just looking to improve you’re current ride quality and don’t plan on carrying varying load weights then get the appropriate shock and spring combo.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

I installed the airlift1000 bags in my rear coils a few weeks ago. I’m running rancho shocks and heavy duty OME coils (LJ coils) on the rear. I have a heavy aftermarket bumper/tire swing with an aluminum fold down shelf and a full Tuffy underseat drawer (no backseat).

The OME LJ coils handle this everyday weight quite well but I needed something more for when loaded down on a extended trip or towing a trailer. My rear coils sagged 1.5-2” when fully loaded and it really felt like I was riding on an over compressed spring. I was experiencing too much body roll. I could feel this ‘body roll‘ from front to back as well when accelerating and braking.

Although I’ve only had the airbags for a few weeks I am very happy with them. For $85 I fixed my occasional sag and body roll issues. I’ve been fully loaded down once and the improvement in ride quality is significant on and off road (gravel/dirt road). Plus the 1.5-2” of sag is gone. I’m still figuring out what psi to run in them loaded vs unloaded. They can make for a jittery suspension if over inflated.

So I say that if you occasionally carry a load or tow a trailer, the air bags are a cheap reliable solution. If you’re just looking to improve you’re current ride quality and don’t plan on carrying varying load weights then get the appropriate shock and spring combo.
I just ordered bags for front and rear.

Did you remove bumpstop extensions and use the longer bags? Or did you put the bags under the extensions?

I plan to remove the lower extensions for now.

Did you remove bumpstop extensions and use the longer bags? Or did you put the bags under the extensions?

I am using the full uncut factory jounces with normal extension. I selected bags that fill the space from axle pad to jounce and the inside diameter of the spring when deflated. Then I run the bags empty with an open bleed valve when not in use.

I did remove the bumpstop extensions because I used airlift’s provided bottom spacer (1/2”?). I might remove this spacer after I cycle my suspension.

Thanks Eugenejeep, great explanation and review

Reactions: EugeneJeep
All the charts I found only list min/max sizes.

The chart that came with the kit lists the actual airbag dimensions:
15817984223295494141273759380283.jpg

The cylinder size is the actual uninflated airbag size. Each kit came with a total of four 1/2" spacers.

Figured this might help someone in the future. Their "min/max" description is a little vague.

Also you get 15 feet of airline per kit.

Just got my rears installed. Install was very straightforward.

20200328_211352.jpg

Going to attempt the fronts tomorrow...

Reactions: DETOUR