Does anyone know of a -6AN to 1/2 NPT (tapered) fitting?

MakJeeps

All,

I purchased a Tru-Cool L7B transmission cooler for the Jeep that has 2 female 1/2" NPT fittings welded on top.
I have always understood that NPT (tapered) and NPS (Straight) were 2 completely different fitting standards.
I have ordered 2 sets of NPT fittings only to receive them as NPS and the vendors don't seem to understand my complaint.

The NPS male fitting only threads about 1/2 way into the NPT female.

Does anyone know of a -6AN to 1/2" NPT (tapered) fitting? I have googled for 2 hours and all I get its "straight" listings.

Some of these fittings would exceed the cost of the cooler.

-J

IMG_6390.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG

IMG_6392.JPG

IMG_6394.JPG

That's a pretty common fitting. A quick Google shows this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSJ3RGX/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Derale, Russell, Earl's, should all have that available.

edit: Are you sure that fitting isn't tapered? From the pics it looks tapered to me. If it is, can always tap the cooler a little deeper with an NPT tap.
Yeah it is an AN816-6-8d for aluminum, I had to go to a different supplier to find it.

edit: Are you sure that fitting isn't tapered? From the pics it looks tapered to me. If it is, can always tap the cooler a little deeper with an NPT tap.

I'll be damn, the fitting is tapered, not sure how I missed that? GREAT EYE!
It's almost as if the cooler's female ends are too narrow for a 1/2" NPT?

I could tap it out but at this point I'm not sure its worth the $ since a good tap is almost as much as the cooler was.
I'll call Long in the am but probably gonna send it back.

Thanks again for the good eye on that. Me overthinking stuff as usual....

-J

I'll be damn, the fitting is tapered, not sure how I missed that? GREAT EYE!
It's almost as if the cooler's female ends are too narrow for a 1/2" NPT?

I could tap it out but at this point I'm not sure its worth the $ since a good tap is almost as much as the cooler was.
I'll call Long in the am but probably gonna send it back.

Thanks again for the good eye on that. Me overthinking stuff as usual....

-J
All you have to do is wrap some Teflon tape on that AN to NPT adapter and screw it in. They are both tapered and it will work just fine. You aren't dealing with high pressure, there is more than enough thread engagement to seal.

Reactions: MakJeeps
All you have to do is wrap some Teflon tape on that AN to NPT adapter and screw it in. They are both tapered and it will work just fine. You aren't dealing with high pressure, there is more than enough thread engagement to seal.
Awesome, I'll try that for sure.
BTW, your BM brakes and Centric rotors are on. Thanks for getting those out so fast. After break-in I swear they get better everyday.

Awesome, I'll try that for sure.
BTW, your BM brakes and Centric rotors are on. Thanks for getting those out so fast. After break-in I swear they get better everyday.
Make sure you back up the big hex with a good wrench when you tighten the adapter. Otherwise you'll twist it right off the cooler and that will suck.

Fun Fact: Dash size is based in 1/16 increments.

1” = -16 or 16/16”
3/4” = -12 or 12/16”
5/8” = -10 or 10/16”
1/2” = -8 or 8/16”
3/8” = -6 or 6/16”
5/16” = -5 or 5/16”
1/4” = -4 or 4/16”