Does anyone run a bikini top in the summer?

I run a bikini top in the summers, I like the shade most of the time and up here it helps keep the bugs from the trees off ya. The only con is it’s not long enough, so this summer I’ll be buying a safari top to keep my kid in the shade. One of my friends put a safari top from an LJ on his TJ and likes that even better than the TJ one because it also keeps the sun off of the back of his kids necks and shoulders better and still fits good so I think I’ll go that route. Another thing some of my friends have done with the safari top is fold/roll the rear portion to turn it into a bikini top when the people out back wanted the sun.

You didn't mention that you wanted to be able to easily take the bikini off in the summer so I'm going to offer this suggestion. Get a Trektop NX from Bestop or the similar Rampage frameless top, it would replace your worn out soft top and because they're frameless its basically a long bikini top like what Jerry recommended. The Trektop can still come off and has the sunrider feature it just doesn't fold down like a traditional soft top for that true open air feeling. I've had mine for years and love running it without windows with my half doors (or doorless when I didn't have the option) and love having it on to keep the sun off me.

If you want to know what I run in Florida where it rains all year long every 3 days. I keep the soft top on and if I want open air I take off the half door tops or the full half doors complete off. Perfect for shielding from rain showers In Florida and evening better for an open air feel. I can have both doors off in 38 seconds. Back on in 45 seconds. Beats putting on the soft top 5 minutes and foddering with zippers.

Reactions: Airjunky
Yes, there is is .. but it is VERY hard to find. MOPAR had an OEM option called the "sun bonnet" bikini top that attaches to the front just like OEM soft top and ties with straps into the roll cage in the rear. I posted some photos of it in the thread below (see toward end) and one other member posted photos of it on the Jeep. It is a really great option if you can find one. Just keep an eye on ebay/CL, don't think it was sold in large numbers. I posted a pdf with all the relevant part numbers in my reply in page 2 or 3.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/are-all-bikini-tops-created-equal.23843/
Hi, I bought a Sun Bonnet for my 2015 4-Door Sahara Wrangler at the end of 2015 (winter here). That July we proceeded to put it on, only to discover they had not included the 2 brackets, carriage bolts and nuts. Went back to the dealership. They refused to get me the parts and would only return the entire top. When they realized I had thrown away the box, they said "no box, no return". I have since searched everywhere for these 6 little parts. I still have the unused roof, which is useless. Anyone know where I might find these brackets? The top is #82210544. This is outrageous customer service, and they lost a good customer :(. TIA

Hi, I bought a Sun Bonnet for my 2015 4-Door Sahara Wrangler at the end of 2015 (winter here). That July we proceeded to put it on, only to discover they had not included the 2 brackets, carriage bolts and nuts. Went back to the dealership. They refused to get me the parts and would only return the entire top. When they realized I had thrown away the box, they said "no box, no return". I have since searched everywhere for these 6 little parts. I still have the unused roof, which is useless. Anyone know where I might find these brackets? The top is #82210544. This is outrageous customer service, and they lost a good customer :(. TIA
Bestop makes all of the soft top products for our Jeeps, contact their customer service department for the parts you need. 800-845-3567 www.bestop.com

I run a Bestop Trektop NX with the windows off from May to October (actually, I have no top on it at all right now because it's been under the knife and I haven't put my hardtop on).

I pretty much only put the windows on if I'm driving a good distance, like my annual wheeling trip to the San Juans which is about 6 hours each way.

Sometimes if I'm feeling short on vitamin D I'll flip the sunrider back for 12 minutes and get sunburned.

IMG_3411-01.jpeg

On this TJ this is how I ran it from May through October, hard top the rest of the time. I did have a garage to park in at home and at work.
P1000684.JPG

That's mostly what I run, I only run the full soft top when it is raining. Consider the longer Safari version of the bikini top which also covers the rear area of the Jeep. It can help keep the ice chest cooler by shading it from the sun.

This is the only pic I could find that shows the extra length of the Safari top on my TJ. I strongly (!!!) recommend the version that works with the screw-in 2-piece header. It's a lot easier to get installed than the screwless version which is so much of a PITA that I put it into the trashcan many years ago.

View attachment 133181

I really wish I would have seen this thread before I ordered this POS BT bikini top. PITA is right, I'm ready to throw this thing out in the road and light it on fire after beating it with a golf club.

That's mostly what I run, I only run the full soft top when it is raining. Consider the longer Safari version of the bikini top which also covers the rear area of the Jeep. It can help keep the ice chest cooler by shading it from the sun.

This is the only pic I could find that shows the extra length of the Safari top on my TJ. I strongly (!!!) recommend the version that works with the screw-in 2-piece header. It's a lot easier to get installed than the screwless version which is so much of a PITA that I put it into the trashcan many years ago.

View attachment 133181
Do you have a link to this top? I have a no name bikini top that a PO put on the TJ and I hate it. Looking to upgrade.