Does anyone run a headliner on their hardtop?

TJDave

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Anyone out there running a headliner on their hardtop? I'm interested in seeing pictures as well as hearing whether or not it actually made any difference in keeping in heat and reducing road noise?

Friend of mine has a JKU with an aftermarket headliner on his hard top. It was really nice and the fit was perfect. It makes the acoustics in the vehicle much better and it definitely keeps it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Reactions: Chris
I have an interesting idea for a DIY headliner. I'll post on this thread as soon as I start the install. Already have all the material for the job.

I have an interesting idea for a DIY headliner. I'll post on this thread as soon as I start the install. Already have all the material for the job.

Please do. This is something I am very interested in personally.

Not a headliner but...... Many years ago I had a new CJ7 and was stationed in Colorado. The hardtop on that thing didn't do much for insulation, neither noise nor heat. I bought several cans of non-expanding foam insulation and after drilling 6 or so small holes in the inner layer filled the inside of the top with foam. I kept injecting until it would not hold anymore and started flowing back out. Let it flow onto a drop cloth and when it was all done let it stit for a day. I then plugged each of the holes with plastic push in buttons. Made a huge difference in both heat and sound attenuation. FWIW.

Last edited:
Not a headliner but...... Many years ago I had a new CJ7 and was stationed in Colorado. The hardtop on that thing didn't do much for insulation, neither noise or heat. I bought several cans of non-expanding foam insulation and after drilling 6 or so small holes in the inner layer filled the inside of the top with foam. I kept injecting until it would not hold anymore and started flowing back out. Let it flow onto a drop cloth and when it was all done let it stit for a day. I then plugged each of the holes with plastic push in buttons. Made a huge difference in both heat and sound attenuation. FWIW.

Not a bad idea. Mine holds in heat nicely. I was just going to see if a headliner might hold out a bit more sound.

DSC07693.JPG
DSC07696.JPG

I have a brand new Smitty Bilt hard top on mine. It came with a headliner that looks to be a carpet type material adhered to the hard top. More quiet than the soft top, but I can't tell you about a hard top with and without a headliner.

Why not just glue a nice piece of a new light gray carpeting remnant onto the overhead? That would do wonders for the acoustics and thermal insulation while costing next to nothing.

Last edited: