Does anyone run the Uniden PRO520XL?

Made my own version of the Arizona Rocky Road. Everything is up above the top of the windshield, so sight line for me is perfect.

20190714_164851.jpg

20190714_173237.jpg

I decided to just run some convolute and clip it to the sill with special zip ties, LOL.
20190720_163206.jpg

SWR with the 4' Firestik is just over 1.3 on 1 and 40. Yay.

Made my own version of the Arizona Rocky Road. Everything is up above the top of the windshield, so sight line for me is perfect.

View attachment 105617

View attachment 105618

I decided to just run some convolute and clip it to the sill with special zip ties, LOL.
View attachment 105619

I have been brained by a setup like that in a CJ, I dont like anything by my head from that. Bouncing around can be hazardous to your health!

CB's are still used? I have not found very many area where a cell doesn't have a signal. When on trail, is there a channel everyone uses that is universal? Why not a portable unit with a magnet mounted antenna?
Yes CBs are still used! Come up to the mountains of Colorado and your cell phone becomes pretty useless really quick!

I run the baby Cobra. It too has the weather info but you can really only get the weather around populated areas so it isn't much use in the mountains where I'd like to have it the most.

The little cobra works great for on trail com's but needs an external speaker. I'd like to get a powered speaker as the one I have isn't really loud enough on the highway.

I have been brained by a setup like that in a CJ, I dont like anything by my head from that. Bouncing around can be hazardous to your health!
I dunno how you'd even come close to it. I've been running with my radios in that position for over twenty years and never even came close to them. On even the most god-awful jarringly shock-prone crash-bang-thank-you-ma'am trails my TJ has been on. The first was home made, the second is on an Arizona Rocky Road mount for the last ten years.

So far as the Uniden Pro-520XL goes, it's been a very good and 100% reliable radio for me.

CB radios1.JPG
CB&HamRadios.JPG

I run one and it serves it’s purpose. The club I’ve been running with has their own ham frequency and 70 hand held radios they will check out to supporting members during group rides and even has a portable repeater they will run up to the highest point in the area we are playing in and set it up so we all have a good connection and can keep in touch. Pretty slick set up.

View attachment 105617

View attachment 105618

View attachment 105619

What kind of material did you use to make your own RR mount? I like making things in my I'm when I can and I certainly like the idea of that type of mount. Any details or pics you can price are most appreciated.

Also, I'm studying for my ham license now.

Just mild steel from Lowes and my scrap pile. Plus, I had already purchased a Rugged Ridge CB mount and ended up welding it onto the bar. Gives some extra room to attach the CB mount and mic cord control. Link to a couple of pics, but can take more. I have the bar out right now since it doesn't clear the newly acquired hardtop. Need to do some grinding and paint touch-up.

Reactions: Mrprez and LA_TJ
Anyone use an overhead mount with the Trektop NX? It has a bow that sits about six inches back from the windshield header. Wonder if I could use that somehow?

Reactions: ac_
Anyone use an overhead mount with the Trektop NX? It has a bow that sits about six inches back from the windshield header. Wonder if I could use that somehow?
The bow you are talking about is really flimsy. It is only there to hold the top up during rain. Probably don't want to use that for a mount. Plus it snaps in the door surrounds so it isn't very secure. I have a feeling if you hung something somewhat heavy on it it would possibly just jump out.

By the way I am running the Arizona CB overhead mount and the Trektop. They both work at the same time with no issues. I usually pull the bow out when I take the top off.

One more thing to consider, the Arizona overhead mounts to the same holes as the door surrounds on the roll bar, so it is usable weather the top is on or off, but if you were going to mount it on the bow you would always need to have your door surrounds in. Also the bow sits in the middle of the top like directly over your head where the overhead mount is up front so you can see the CB while driving.

Just some things to consider.

Found a picture so you can see the difference:
IMG-0826.JPG

The bow you are talking about is really flimsy. It is only there to hold the top up during rain. Probably don't want to use that for a mount. Plus it snaps in the door surrounds so it isn't very secure. I have a feeling if you hung something somewhat heavy on it it would possibly just jump out.

By the way I am running the Arizona CB overhead mount and the Trektop. They both work at the same time with no issues. I usually pull the bow out when I take the top off.

One more thing to consider, the Arizona overhead mounts to the same holes as the door surrounds on the roll bar, so it is usable weather the top is on or off, but if you were going to mount it on the bow you would always need to have your door surrounds in. Also the bow sits in the middle of the top like directly over your head where the overhead mount is up front so you can see the CB while driving.

Just some things to consider.
That’s good news, I wasn’t sure if the Arizona mount would work in conjunction with that bow. Thanks...

Reactions: ac_