Does anyone run the Uniden PRO520XL?

ALLxSAINTSxDIE

Does anyone run the Uniden PRO520XL? What do you think of it? I really do not want to drop the cash on the Cobra C75WXST just yet. Also any recommendations for antenna mounting. Currently, have a rear mount but I have been reading a lot about getting better performance out of a front mount.

I've had a 510xl (no loudspeaker) for 25+ years, that I've used as a temp cb in various vehicles. No complaints with it. Replaced the mic and cord about 5 years ago. Just bought a new 510xl for the Jeep. Planning on mounting the antenna with a tail light bracket mount. Working on CB unit mount now. May go with Arizona Rocky Road mount or the Smittybilt GEAR overhead console. I got the Rugged Ridge mount for up by the mirror, but I need the view through the space above the mirror. May try to mod the RR mount and mount the CB above the bracket.

I own both a Uniden Pro520XL (in jeep) and a Cobra 75 WX ST (in "other 4x4"). Actually, I have owned 3 of the Cobra 75's since they first came out 20+ years ago.)

I recommend the Uniden for Jeeps. They are small, easy to mount, and have all the features you need. Best of all they are cheap so you will shed only a few tears if one becomes damaged or broken. I have mine mounted overhead on an Arizona Rocky Road mount, and I use Teraflex tail light antenna mounting brackets. I switch between a 2' Firestik II and 4' Firestik Firefly antenna as the need arises.

My experience with the Cobra in jeeps is that the all-in-mic radio will eventually hit the floor or some other hard surface and be damaged. I lost my first 75 WX ST at Moab in 1999 after the mic hit the steel floor of my CJ one too many times. I sold the second. However, my present Cobra has resided happily in the well padded interior of my my "other 4x4" for several years and I expect it to do so for many more. As far as performance is concerned it is similar to the Uniden.

Rightchannelradios.com and weareCB.com (CB World in Oregon) are two good choices for sourcing what you need and setting up what you choose. I recently began patronizing CB World and have been pleased with their prices and their service.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
The Uniden is a fine and dandy unit. I’ve owned 2 different models, currently the one you inquired about.

For trails and comm w other Jeepers, it’s impeccable. I even exchange dialogue w truckers from time to time.

The best thing about it, as another poster mentioned, is the price. If someone happens to wander off with it, the loss is marginal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB's are still used? I have not found very many area where a cell doesn't have a signal. When on trail, is there a channel everyone uses that is universal? Why not a portable unit with a magnet mounted antenna?

CB's are still used? I have not found very many area where a cell doesn't have a signal. When on trail, is there a channel everyone uses that is universal? Why not a portable unit with a magnet mounted antenna?

Yes, CB is still the most common means of radio communications among offroaders and is required at many organized events.

There are regional and club preferences for CB channels. Channel 4 is the "jeep channel" in my area. While not universal, Channel 4 is probably the most common.

If one uses a CB only occasionally there is no reason not to use a portable unit like the Midland 75-822 and a mag mount antenna. The performance will likely not be as good as a hard mount system but it may very well be good enough.

@Ericict

Cell reception is spotty where I wheel, the Wharton State Forest, in NJ. And I supposedly have ‘Americas best’ provider, Verizon.

Regardless, CB’s or a handheld, when you’re on a trail and have someone guiding or want to comm while shifting down the highway, there’s no replacement, that Im aware of, for ham or CB.

**Another wheeler I met uses an app. But again, that relies on cell tower service. He saw it as a ‘cheaper and effective’ method but everyone I’ve trailed with, young and old alike have used CB or ham radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Uniden PRO520XL mounted on a homemade mount similar to the Arizona Rocky Road.

CB_radio.jpg

Yes, CB is still the most common means of radio communications among offroaders and is required at many organized events.

There are regional and club preferences for CB channels. Channel 4 is the "jeep channel" in my area. While not universal, Channel 4 is probably the most common.

If one uses a CB only occasionally there is no reason not to use a portable unit like the Midland 75-822 and a mag mount antenna. The performance will likely not be as good as a hard mount system but it may very well be good enough.
So much to learn. I had a CB in all my trucks growing up. Ks wasn't a hotspot of cell activity back then. There are still a few small areas away from the interstate where there is limited cell and 2-ways or CBs are the preferred method of comm. I see more 2-way antennas at farm homes than I did in years past. Ive looked at some handheld CBs that have 4w of power. I do have a VHF I carry when Im in the sticks.

Uniden PRO520XL mounted on a homemade mount similar to the Arizona Rocky Road.

View attachment 103524
Totally off topic, but I love the Lev-O-Gage!

Back on topic: I run the PRO520XL and it works, but around here it's common for everyone to have Ham radios and not even bother with CBs. I've had both radios up on some group runs, and side by side even a cheap Ham radio is much clearer and has much better range than any CB.

That's nothing against the PRO520XL. Having a CB is good because not everyone has a Ham license. And the PRO520XL is a good CB.

Totally off topic, but I love the Lev-O-Gage!

Back on topic: I run the PRO520XL and it works, but around here it's common for everyone to have Ham radios and not even bother with CBs. I've had both radios up on some group runs, and side by side even a cheap Ham radio is much clearer and has much better range than any CB.

That's nothing against the PRO520XL. Having a CB is good because not everyone has a Ham license. And the PRO520XL is a good CB.

I too prefer ham radio. This picture shows the two other radios I have covering HF, VHF and UHF ham frequencies. I installed the CB just because I was told it is commonly used. I have yet to use it however.

The lev-O-Gage is great! I have never taken it much over 30 degrees. Any idea how far you can go before it rolls?

HF_VHF_UHF.jpg

Reactions: ac_
I too prefer ham radio. This picture shows the two other radios I have covering HF, VHF and UHF ham frequencies. I installed the CB just because I was told it is commonly used. I have yet to use it however.

The lev-O-Gage is great! I have never taken it much over 30 degrees. Any idea how far you can go before it rolls?

View attachment 103700
Nice setup! Seems like only the dedicated Hams are on HF. All the casual conversation and off-road banter seems to be on VHF. You must have a cluster of antennas on the back too!

Anyway, I have no idea how far you can go before you flop or roll, but judging from the positions @Jerry Bransford gets into while debunking LCOG myths, it's pretty damn far! :)

Nice setup! Seems like only the dedicated Hams are on HF. All the casual conversation and off-road banter seems to be on VHF. You must have a cluster of antennas on the back too!

I have a screwdriver antenna on the back for HF. It works from 40M up. I also carry a Buddipole antenna that I can set up externally that covers 80M up. I like having the HF because I travel off-road alone in the northeastern Sierras where VHF/UHF is pretty much useless if you need to get help. With HF at least I can contact someone. They might be in San Diego or Portland but I'll be able to talk to someone who can relay a message.

Reactions: fuse
Uniden 520xl with the ARR mount and 3' firestik. It has done what its needed to in the 4-5 years I have had it. Plenty loud enough to hear going down the highway, crisp and clear when on the trail. I only wish it had a weather channel but I have lived without.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I’ve been wanting something small with a weather channel too. I don’t really need either, but just want them. I’ve been thinking about getting a President Johnny III for the weather channel. It cost a lot more than the 520XL though.