Does direction of new thermostat matter?

04 LJ

🇺🇸 JEEP 🇺🇸
Supporting Member
I currently have it clocked horizontally (see pic) with a raised “tick mark” facing right and “54mm” where it’s stamped in to the metal facing left. Should it be vertical, horizontal or does it even matter? I know on stats with a bubbler the hole goes at the top which therefore guides you on what direction to install it but Stant doesn’t use a bubbler hole so that’s not an option. Thanks in advance.

EC3CEF70-626B-4665-8E01-9318518C8178.jpeg

I currently have it clocked horizontally (see pic) with a raised “tick mark” facing right and “54mm” where it’s stamped in to the metal facing left. Should it be vertical, horizontal or does it even matter? I know on stats with a bubbler the hole goes at the top which therefore guides you on what direction to install it but Stant doesn’t use a bubbler hole so that’s not an option. Thanks in advance.

Stant does make a thermostat that has the correct jiggle valve but unfortunately in an effort to sell their superstat which doesn't they list the wrong part number for the 4.0. Next time check the stant part number for the four banger and you'll get the correct thermostat.

Edit: it's no big deal, it'll just take longer to bleed the system.

Gonna face the opening in the direction of flow towards the hose.

Edit: For those that may need to know, this involved clocking the tstat about 20-30 degrees to the left.

Last edited:
Reactions: pagrey