Does doors off equal more tickets?

Doors off = more tickets

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The first (and only) time I got pulled over in my affluent Chicago suburb, the cop approached my Jeep and asked, "Sir, how many weapons are in the vehicle?".

Found it funny that he didn't ask IF any weapons were in the vehicle. Guess my Jeep just gives off that vibe.

A few years ago I got pulled over for allegedly speeding. No proof and by shutting up I was free to go.

Reactions: reddvltj
The first (and only) time I got pulled over in my affluent Chicago suburb, the cop approached my Jeep and asked, "Sir, how many weapons are in the vehicle?".

Found it funny that he didn't ask IF any weapons were in the vehicle. Guess my Jeep just gives off that vibe.
Probably the MG mount behind the front seats was his first clue! ;)

Thread segue: People are driving like complete maniacs since this virus hysteria started. I had some AH blowing his horn at me as I made a right turn into Ace Hardware (in the Jeep). I had my signal on and everything, I have no idea what is Major Malfunction was. People driving 60 or more (hard to tell) on a 45 MPH boulevard, that kind of thing.
Here in Atlanta the Hwys have turned Autobahn o_O

Reactions: Apparition
A few years ago I got pulled over for allegedly speeding. No proof and by shutting up I was free to go.

I dont do any of that stuff exept keep my hands were he can see em. If I know I was speeding I laugh and say you got me Buddy my foot musta got heavy for a minute I typically try to keep it safe. I treat em with respect and talk to them like a human. Last few times I got pulled over I just got a warning, but I got nothing to hide these days. If I was speeding I got no problem getting it knocked down 10 or 15 mph in court and paying it.

There are studies that have proven "red" cars and all kinds of things that cause Police to pull them over, are a myth. My LEO friends laugh, and ask if anyone has any clue how many cars they see, of all colors. Said they almost always pull people over for breaking a law of some sort. They've told me that a lot of people don't understand the "Window Tinting" laws the most. It causes a ton of argument, but when your drivers window is limo blackout, it's gonna get Police attention. Would be my guess, here in Texas, they appreciate being able to see Everything.

Just put yourself in their shoes, it is 100% fact that LEO walk up on cars and get shot, randomly. It happens, if that were you, how would you know which one is time that will happen? If they see everything and there's no mystery, then there's less risk for them, thus less conflict if you're polite. I've never won an argument with Police, that's for a court (fortunately not happened for me).

I dont do any of that stuff exept keep my hands were he can see em. If I know I was speeding I laugh and say you got me Buddy my foot musta got heavy for a minute I typically try to keep it safe. I treat em with respect and talk to them like a human. Last few times I got pulled over I just got a warning, but I got nothing to hide these days. If I was speeding I got no problem getting it knocked down 10 or 15 mph in court and paying it.

And if you definitely weren't speeding and the officer is trying to pin a 20 over ticket on you by asking you many different ways how fast you were going? I wasn't speeding. Yeah, treat him with respect but I'm not going to be a chatty Kathy and give him anything more than I'm legally required during an unlawful traffic stop.

The only time I was pulled in the jeep was years ago for not having a front license plate. It was almost midnight, in a quiet town, at a gas station, and I believe the officer just wanted to make sure I wasn't under the influence. No ticket. I've driven around with the doors off, no fenders, and mirrors removed without issues.

I haven't been pulled over for years, knock on wood, but when I am I just make sure to be compliant, own up to what I did, and use my best manners. Not being a jerk and telling the truth has gotten me out of a few tickets.

There are studies that have proven "red" cars and all kinds of things that cause Police to pull them over, are a myth. My LEO friends laugh, and ask if anyone has any clue how many cars they see, of all colors. Said they almost always pull people over for breaking a law of some sort. They've told me that a lot of people don't understand the "Window Tinting" laws the most. It causes a ton of argument, but when your drivers window is limo blackout, it's gonna get Police attention. Would be my guess, here in Texas, they appreciate being able to see Everything.

Just put yourself in their shoes, it is 100% fact that LEO walk up on cars and get shot, randomly. It happens, if that were you, how would you know which one is time that will happen? If they see everything and there's no mystery, then there's less risk for them, thus less conflict if you're polite. I've never won an argument with Police, that's for a court (fortunately not happened for me).
I keep my tint prescription handy but I’ve not had to test it.

The only time I was pulled in the jeep was years ago for not having a front license plate. It was almost midnight, in a quiet town, at a gas station, and I believe the officer just wanted to make sure I wasn't under the influence. No ticket. I've driven around with the doors off, no fenders, and mirrors removed without issues.

I haven't been pulled over for years, knock on wood, but when I am I just make sure to be compliant, own up to what I did, and use my best manners. Not being a jerk and telling the truth has gotten me out of a few tickets.
You just reminded me I never reattached my front license plate, oops it’s been off several days and I’ve been driving it.

Now, where’d I put it?

My area most patrol vehicles have cameras that scan every plate in view. Every night the computer is the vehicle is updated with a list of vehicles with expired tags or lack of insurance. The officer doesn't even have to look out the window, the machine beeps and tells them the make/model/year and plate number of the vehicle to pull over and that's what they do. They definitely don't care about the color of the tag anymore, at least I don't think most do.

I have a family member in law enforcement they love looking for expired tags, people can bitch about speeding but if the sticker isn’t there the conversation is much shorter. Turns into a here’s your ticket go argue with the court thing.

We don't have stickers on PA any more. It's all electronic. The cops have automated plate readers mounted front and back of their cruiser. It runs every plate it sees and pops up on their computer if it finds an expired registration.

Fun part about that is that I don't have access to that system of course, and now there's no obvious way to tell just from looking at the plate that it's expired. And they frequently "forget" to mail you the notice. It's a nice little revenue generator.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
I was parked on the shoulder of I-5 waiting on a tow ( ya, in the LJ ), when a Statey pulled in behind me.
I always "CC" so as he approached I placed my hands on the steering wheel and told him I had a firearm on the seat next to me. He said thanks and did I need any help, I said nope, a tow was on the way. He then said, have a good day and left.
Respect and politeness go a long way with someone who has to deal with assholes for a living.

In my case it was the inspection sticker on the windshield (yellow 2019 but should be red 2020) nothing to do with my license plates that may or may not have been automatically scanned (that's a story for another time). NY DMV's have been closed and just recently opened up "drop boxes" I just got the check receipt for registration/title/tax since it was a private party sale not through a dealer.

This wasn't my first or 10th time being pulled over so I've got the be polite and make the cop feel safe part down pretty good. Mostly speeding tickets which I deserve except for that one time... But first time in the Jeep and I happen to of had the doors/top off.

For what it's worth I live in New York and have driven top down/doors off throughout the metro area/Long Island and have never had trouble.

Im in Fla, so just about anything down here is legal to drive. And, our highways are speedways. And, I drive fast, in all my vehicles. Any time Ive been pulled over in my adult life, kid life doesn't count, its been 10000000% my fault. I don't blame my vehicle or anything else for my encounters. Its that simple. But I am white, so I guess I have privilege

In my case it was the inspection sticker on the windshield (yellow 2019 but should be red 2020) nothing to do with my license plates that may or may not have been automatically scanned (that's a story for another time). NY DMV's have been closed and just recently opened up "drop boxes" I just got the check receipt for registration/title/tax since it was a private party sale not through a dealer.

This wasn't my first or 10th time being pulled over so I've got the be polite and make the cop feel safe part down pretty good. Mostly speeding tickets which I deserve except for that one time... But first time in the Jeep and I happen to of had the doors/top off.

If I'm reading that right it was a recent-ish purchase, and due to the shutdown you didn't get your registration until very recently?

Which, in PA anyway, would make it impossible for you to get the car inspected before now. And knowing that the cop still gave you a ticket?

If I'm reading that right it was a recent-ish purchase, and due to the shutdown you didn't get your registration until very recently?

Which, in PA anyway, would make it impossible for you to get the car inspected before now. And knowing that the cop still gave you a ticket?
You're reading it right. It was a recent purchase. It wasn't until June 4th that I could register it at DMV (got around to it July 2nd) and it just didn't make sense to have the vehicle inspected if the DMV didn't know it was mine yet. Yes, it was a known risk I could get pulled over which I accepted each time I drove it since purchase, but I didn't want to go through getting it inspected a second time once I received my DMV documents and proper plates. I also had a CEL so it would not have passed NY inspection anyways - a P0456 code due to cracked hose I have now fixed.

It all amounts to a $200 fine + getting the jeep inspected, but this whole fiasco made me wonder about future drives; am I more likely to get pulled over with or without doors even if all my stuff was legal?