Does doors off equal more tickets?

Doors off = more tickets

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A week later the result is a resounding NO, doors off do not result in more tickets. The commentary suggests doors off (legally) don't get pulled over more frequently either. Y: 41, N: 3 including me.

Aside from myself, I can't prove anyone that commented has actually been pulled over or ticketed with the doors off in their TJ - so contemplate that factoid next time you drive.

To close the loop: I'm fully street legal with proper stickers on the windshield, plates on the bumpers, etc.

Thread segue: People are driving like complete maniacs since this virus hysteria started. I had some AH blowing his horn at me as I made a right turn into Ace Hardware (in the Jeep). I had my signal on and everything, I have no idea what is Major Malfunction was. People driving 60 or more (hard to tell) on a 45 MPH boulevard, that kind of thing.

You must've been in the left lane 🤡

I have only ever gotten a ticket in the TJ once. For having the doors off...

I see you are in PA. I google fu'd this.

It’s legal to drive a Jeep on the road without the doors attached in most states as long as your vehicle remains compliant with laws requiring that vehicles have enough mirrors to see behind the vehicle. Currently, the only state that specifically prohibits drivers from driving vehicles without attached, functioning doors is Pennsylvania.

I see you are in PA. I google fu'd this.

It’s legal to drive a Jeep on the road without the doors attached in most states as long as your vehicle remains compliant with laws requiring that vehicles have enough mirrors to see behind the vehicle. Currently, the only state that specifically prohibits drivers from driving vehicles without attached, functioning doors is Pennsylvania.
Even then it is ambiguous.

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or sides.

And yes I had all three mirrors

Are you more of a target for cops if you have the doors off vs doors/top on?

I just got pulled over for the first time in the Jeep (had it 4 months) and for expired/uninspected vehicle (New York). I got a ticket, I always do :( I was going the speed limit, driving safely, and had both side view mirrors attached. I'm curious to see if others feel like they get pulled over more frequently if they have the doors off than if they had doors on?
Is your Jeep red? I hear red attracts attention especially if it looks sporty.

But some states and provinces require doors, period. In BC where I live, I've had a ticket plus I had to report to a police station with doors on within 10 days. In BC the law reads, "If your vehicle was manufactured with doors, it must have doors installed." Makes perfect sense if you are driving a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado, it should have doors. But when the doors are designed to be removed, well every year some new jurisdiction enters the stupidity.

Doors off, loud exhaust, flying flags, truck nuts, excessive lift, tires, armour, bling. Yeah there is always the cop with a small penis trying to compensate with citations.

Reactions: Zorba
A case 10 years ago in BC, the guy was ticketed for Tubular Doors, he fought it and lost.

First
The Manufacturer, Warrior Products states in the install instructions "For Off Road Use Only".

Second
The definition of a door is it must seal out exhaust gasses. Hence half doors are usually OK.

Final ruling in BC, all vehicles must have the doors they were manufactured with.
Any more tickets I'll be buying a CJ5... or 2 or 3 or 6.

Confession time... I've driven around for a year not realizing I had expired stickers (I did pay though). Wasn't until the next year that I received the new stickers that I realized my mistake. That was all within a 500 mile radius of here and the cops don't seem to care much. I've heard that cops around here like to pull over for tires sticking out but I've never been.
I did this for 4 years, we moved, I failed to give DMV an address change. Cop behind me at a light, light goes green he pulled me over. A $5 ticket if I came in with new tags the next day. Thankfully my insurance was current.

I did note he had been parked behind me every Tuesday for 4 years since we were both volunteer firefighters.
He said "Its just $5 Bill".

Definitely not. I've driven without doors on my TJ more times than I can count, and never once has any cop pulled me over for anything, and I've driven by a lot of them.

Cops don't care if your doors are off. Unless you live in a state where it's illegal, which I think there is only one.
Buy a red one and say that.

Buy a red one and say that.

That depends on what city you're in, haha. Here where I live you can do that and no one would do anything whatsoever. Hell, they'd probably smile and wave.

Go to Portland and wear that shirt and you'll for sure be assaulted.

PA is the only state I've ever heard of it being enforced and it only happens on the western side. Eastern PA you can drive around all day long without doors and nobody bothers you. Not sure what their deal is. I remember seeing a facebook post from a police department in Western PA saying you couldn't drive without doors.