Does stereo head unit make a difference in audio output?

I'm not looking for some sort of crazy good sound system. I know that the TJ isn't the vehicle for that to begin with. I'm simply looking for something that's a little better than stock, with some nice speakers. It sounds like I'm going to need an aftermarket head unit in any case, so I'll probably just go with that Kenwood one and a set of nice Polk speakers. Are there any better bolt-in options for the factory subwoofer that don't require any modifications?

Swapping that subwoofer makes a huge difference, and personally I would say it is at best a mid-bass, not deep bass else the center console and your stuff inside rattles like a maraca.

I would recommend either the 6.75" or 8". Dremeling 101 is required, but super easy and you will notice a big improvement.

Kicker CompRT shallow mounts are a great option, both 6.75" or 8" sizes, dual voice coils, and come in your choice of 1, 2, 4 and 8 ohms.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Curious to know if jeeps, like the Grand Cherokee's or other chrysler vehicles with stock radios can be a replacment as a direct or with little modification for the Tj.

Swapping that subwoofer makes a huge difference, and personally I would say it is at best a mid-bass, not deep bass else the center console and your stuff inside rattles like a maraca.

I would recommend either the 6.75" or 8". Dremeling 101 is required, but super easy and you will notice a big improvement.

Kicker CompRT shallow mounts are a great option, both 6.75" or 8" sizes, dual voice coils, and come in your choice of 1, 2, 4 and 8 ohms.
I agree with this. Sound advice.

Reactions: Chris

But which one do I want as far as ohms go? Consider that you're talking to someone who literally has no idea about stereo systems whatsoever.

I've always put Alpine HUs in my vehicles, it was the first thing I did to the Jeep I got 2 weeks ago. I personally love the wireless streaming ability. Alpine has the optional powerpack amp which is a direct harness connection increasing the speaker RMS power output. Haven't done speakers yet but I'm sure I will once summer comes along. Also, with the updates in Bluetooth profiles, sound quality has definitely improved over the last few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: skrelnik
I've always put Alpine HUs in my vehicles, it was the first thing I did to the Jeep I got 2 weeks ago. I personally love the wireless streaming ability. Alpine has the optional powerpack amp which is a direct harness connection increasing the speaker RMS power output. Haven't done speakers yet but I'm sure I will once summer comes along. Also, with the updates in Bluetooth profiles, sound quality has definitely improved over the last few years.

I have an older Alpine CDE153BT and it is really cool, especially utilizing the Tuneit app. Great value. I also am a big fan of Kenwoods HUs.

I'm sure the ultra low resistance wiring scheme saved money by allowing more output per volt. Smaller wires, smaller amp, same sound.
Pure marketing hype and even more, pure bullshit. And that's a word I don't overuse. Anyone who knows electronics knows better than to take such claims seriously. :)

Well, you can add additional power to a factory HU, but it isn't as efficient. Has to do with the circuitry, ie. high pass vs. low pass frequencies. I don't know much more about it than that.
If you really want to wake up your sound system, get a powered subwoofer and put it in the center console, or under your seat. Doesn't take much. Heck even the factory subs found in the center console of some model TJ's are better than nothing.
I love crutchfield and agree on the subwoofer upgrade. Pay attention to the sound pressure level ( SPL) of the speakers you use. A doubling of sound pressure level( volume) can be gained simply by choosing a speaker with an spl of 3 decibels higher that stock. In other words, if the current speaker has an spl of 88 go to one with a 91. No need to change the deck to do this, it is an increase in speaker efficiency that does the work. I also upgraded the deck for the line in Bluetooth etc. However my deck design is a little overcomplicated to navigate when driving. Love the disco blue lights though.

I love crutchfield and agree on the subwoofer upgrade. Pay attention to the sound pressure level ( SPL) of the speakers you use. A doubling of sound pressure level( volume) can be gained simply by choosing a speaker with an spl of 3 decibels higher that stock. In other words, if the current speaker has an spl of 88 go to one with a 91. No need to change the deck to do this, it is an increase in speaker efficiency that does the work. I also upgraded the deck for the line in Bluetooth etc. However my deck design is a little overcomplicated to navigate when driving. Love the disco blue lights though.
...and replace the speakers with those rated for the same ohms. This represents the load on the amplifier. Keep it stock to match the deck. If you change the deck then the ohms may also change. That is why i like crutchfield, they get you a matching deck. So , speakers have improved in efficiency and new speakers are the best first step to improve the sound. I always tend to look at the root of issues, so soundproofing the jeep might be what i look at next. I do not have the expertise of others here but i have to wonder about improvements in soundproofing when i hit a thaw and the roof leaks down the back of my neck. First year tj in an extreme environment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I love it.SPL then soundproofing. Then that loud engine......

Reactions: JMT
Bluetooth uses compression where the aux cable does not so the sound should be a little better with the cable, but it's a Jeep, can you really hear the difference anyway :)

I definitely can tell a difference, even in the Jeep.
Im still old school and burn MP3's to a disc, I use that disc in all my vehicles and Harley.
Some people just aren't "into" audio as much as others, which is fine, hell, my wife doesn't notice a difference between my Home theater set up and the plain TV speakers!

Reactions: JMT
I'm not looking for some sort of crazy good sound system. I know that the TJ isn't the vehicle for that to begin with. I'm simply looking for something that's a little better than stock, with some nice speakers. It sounds like I'm going to need an aftermarket head unit in any case, so I'll probably just go with that Kenwood one and a set of nice Polk speakers. Are there any better bolt-in options for the factory subwoofer that don't require any modifications?
I went with the Kicker sub speaker for the stock center console. Other than a wire hookup issue (since it came from a Rubicon), it is an awesome addition. Stock 6 disc head unit with a 1Factory Radio aux input added, the system definitely wakes the Jeep up :) Even at freeway speeds

Curious to know if jeeps, like the Grand Cherokee's or other chrysler vehicles with stock radios can be a replacment as a direct or with little modification for the Tj.
My 6 disc stock radio came out of a .......2004...... I think Jeep Liberty. Slid right into my 06 TJ, no alterations, or wire changes.

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy