Does the OE gear shift knob have a set screw to keep it in place?

Old Hippie

Bought my first TJ last week. It came with a rather funky looking leather shift knob. I'd kind of like to go back to the original one, but every pic I've seen of one in a TJ, they were pointed all over the place rather than straight up and down.
Do the originals come with a set screw to keep them pointing right, or is there another trick to it?

Thanks, guys. Love my JKU, but this little TJ is quickly becoming the pick of the litter.

Reactions: Jamison C
The knob is locked into place by a big lock nut under the shift pattern. The plastic shift pattern is gently pried out after warming the knob a tad, then inserted back in so the pattern is straight.

Shift knob lock nut.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Bless your heart! That's just the info I was looking for. I'm sure as I tear into her, I'll have a load of questions for the Brain Trust here, so please bear with me. This little gal is a hoot to drive, and my first manual transmission, too. Drove a couple in my younger years, but they were 2.5 ton dump trucks. This one's a lot more fun and easier to park, too!

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
I’d like to put an OEM shift knob back on the TJ. Where’s the best place to get one?

I don't put the nut back on to make future removal easier. To stop the knob from spinning due to no nut, I use blue Loctite on the threads, then it won't spin but can be removed with a good hard twist.

Last edited:
Reactions: jazngab
The knob is locked into place by a big lock nut under the shift pattern. The plastic shift pattern is gently pried out after warming the knob a tad, then inserted back in so the pattern is straight.

View attachment 135691
I've been under the impression all along it was almost impossible to remove the shift knob without destroying it, or least the plastic insert with the shift pattern. (6 speed)

View attachment 135691

LoL, well I feel stupid. I twisted mine around until it cracked the whole thing, then just replaced it with some random knob from Amazon.

• Sad
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
you can find 5 speed handles all day long, the 6 speed ones are a bit tougher to find in stock form. Also there is a notch in the shifter cap that will help you get under it to pry it out, it is at the nine o clock position of the cap, at least on my '05 6 speed

I gotta tell ya, I removed the cover, removed the lock bolt, and absolutely can not turn the knob to unscrew. I'm about ready to take a pipe wrench to it.
If the lock nut is removed and the knob is not loose enough to unscrew, it sounds like the previous owner didn't know about the lock nut and damaged the threads with pliers or similar. Or it's corroded in place. That lock nut is the only thing meant to hold it tight.

If the lock nut is removed and the knob is not loose enough to unscrew, it sounds like the previous owner didn't know about the lock nut and damaged the threads with pliers or similar. Or it's corroded in place. That lock nut is the only thing meant to hold it tight.
I'm getting ready to give it another shot. I did shoot some WD40 down into the knob and let it soak overnight, I'm crossing my fingers for good luck

I'm getting ready to give it another shot. I did shoot some WD40 down into the knob and let it soak overnight, I'm crossing my fingers for good luck
WD-40 is barely better than spit on seized fasteners, it's not even a good lubricant. Next time try Liquid Wrench, Kroil, or Break-Free if you want to penetrate though the threads and loosen seized fasteners.