Does this happen to anyone else??

JP98

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Diving down the road with top off enjoying the beautiful ride home not a care in the world, then I get this unmistakable whiff of burning plastic. Panic!! The first thought that pops in my head is what could that be? What are my gauges reading? Do I feel anything different in the way my Jeep is driving? Oh, wait a minute, that is coming from outside some where. Deep sigh of relief, small heart attack diverted.

Reactions: Michael Roberson
Diving down the road with top off enjoying the beautiful ride home not a care in the world, then I get this unmistakable whiff of burning plastic. Panic!! The first thought that pops in my head is what could that be? What are my gauges reading? Do I feel anything different in the way my Jeep is driving? Oh, wait a minute, that is coming from outside some where. Deep sigh of relief, small heart attack diverted.
Absolutely! Loud noises from road construction equipment will get my attention also. Pull up to gas pumps, go inside and come back out and panic when I see puddle of fluid and realize it's not mine but the previous cars A/C dripping.

I had something a bit different but freaked the hell out of me possible heart attack lol.
I few years back my cousin and I were headed home from a wheeling trip in Ocala FL. We were crusing down the FL Turnpike when all of the sudden I start feeling the back of my neck getting hot. I looked around and nothing strange. As I kept going it kept getting hotter and hotter but coming from the back. As I was about to pull over in a panic thinking the Jeep was on fire I realized that my A/C compressor had gone out on me so by then only hot air from vents. I guess the heat started rising from the carpetless floor but somehow it started inching up from the back so I was only feeling the back of my head and back of my arms getting very hot.

Reactions: JP98
Smells!!! Yes, and loud unexpected noises that usually wouldn't be an issue in a car with doors and windows up and people with looks of envy towards my jeep stuck in them.

Haha, happens to me all the time! But for me it's usually the smell of burning brake fluid or a burning clutch. It always turns out to be someone else fortunately!

Haha, happens to me all the time! But for me it's usually the smell of burning brake fluid or a burning clutch. It always turns out to be someone else fortunately!
It's always a little twisted that we are praying under our breath that it's someone else with the burning car. :angel2:

Reactions: Chris
Very true! I guess when you have the top and doors off, you're that much more in tune with the environment (and smells) around you!

Speaking of things that alarm you.... Every time I see the water that drains from the exhaust system at the transfer case, I freak out a little. And, please, no one tell me that I should.

Unless, of course, I should.

Harley's with loud pipes coming up from behind me sometimes give me a jolt. That and the smell of someone else's brakes going down a mountain pass(praying it's not my brakes I smell).

Reactions: Kevin E
Don't bad mouth greasy burgers and cheap beer! :monoloco:
Oh, I thought you had a problem and were looking for a solution. My bad.
Poor TJ's. They have so little get up and go that they can't out run a bad fart.
Gears. It's all about proper gearing. Two for sure checks for proper gearing is being able to idle up over a curb at the mall in 4-lo and out running a bad smell. If you can do both, you've got the correct gear ratios installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and JP98
Oh, I thought you had a problem and were looking for a solution. My bad.

Gears. It's all about proper gearing. Two for sure checks for proper gearing is being able to idle up over a curb at the mall in 4-lo and out running a bad smell. If you can do both, you've got the correct gear ratios installed.

There is no solution to her gas, I've tried. It's so bad :(

yes to smells...anything out of the ordinary I'm checking the dials, then turn down the radio and tell the kids to keep quite while I listen...its only then I check around me to see if it could be somebody else haha. On the weekend even my daughter asked me if Bruiser is ok as he smells funny..but it was the car in front..Phew !!!!

I smell chicken crap every time I pass a loaded down poultry truck. I'm beginning to think it's not a coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk