Does this Jeep do anything for you?

You may want to look at the late 90's-mid 2000's crown vic Kmember, lots of swaps are being done by them.

Track Width, Front (in) 62.8

@mrblaine, if you look up "Panther platform", you'll find all kinds of info. It's Ford's Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car. I do know that the 2003 and up (to 2011) had rack and pinion steering, and the bolt-in cross member is aluminum. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ

@mrblaine, if you look up "Panther platform", you'll find all kinds of info. It's ford's Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, and Lincoln Town Car. I do know that the 2003 and up (to 2011) had rack and pinion steering, and the bolt-in cross member is aluminum. Hope that helps.
Mate, we need to start calling you Car-cyclopedia Britannica hehe

Reactions: StG58
Mate, we need to start calling you Car-cyclopedia Britannica hehe
I was only familiar with this information because I own one, and I always research the fool out of anything I own, or plan to own. Mine is an '03, and the changes to the suspension and steering were quite drastic when compared to the previous years.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I was only familiar with this information because I own one, and I always research the fool out of anything I own, or plan to own. Mine is an '03, and the changes to the suspension and steering were quite drastic when compared to the previous years.
And humble too wow !! (y);)

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
Did you remove the push bumper, strobes, red and blue lights? :whistle:

didnt those all have air bag suspensions?
The air bag suspension (rear only, by the way) was standard on the Lincoln Town Car, and optional on the Ford Crown Victoria. I believe it was also optional on the Mercury Grand Marquis, and not standard equipment like it was on the Lincoln.

The air bags are starting to show signs of degradation on my TC, and I might consider doing a spring conversion kit, rather than replace the bags. Haven't made up my mind just yet.

@mrblaine, if you look up "Panther platform", you'll find all kinds of info. It's Ford's Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car. I do know that the 2003 and up (to 2011) had rack and pinion steering, and the bolt-in cross member is aluminum. Hope that helps.
Thank you. I'm looking at what it would take to build a version of this-

jeep-lowered-8.jpg
I've studied what it would take to keep the solid front axle under it and there is no way to deal with the steering, control arms, and trackbar that makes any sense whatsoever even with a 2 wheel drive beam axle from under the front of the XJ.

I can deal with the extra track width of the CV stuff with the right set of rims.

they put one in a 50's F-100,

If anyone is interested, there is a private group on Facebook that builds a lot of these with the crown vic chassis. I was starting to look into building one for light/medium towing and parts getter but decided to go another direction.

Thank you. I'm looking at what it would take to build a version of this-

I've studied what it would take to keep the solid front axle under it and there is no way to deal with the steering, control arms, and trackbar that makes any sense whatsoever even with a 2 wheel drive beam axle from under the front of the XJ.

I can deal with the extra track width of the CV stuff with the right set of rims.
Fat Man Fabrication, Heidts, and a number of other street rod oriented establishments offer Mustang II IFS kits that are commonplace in the street rod world. Some are even bolt-in applications. You might consider investigating something like that, though the general cost for such a kit would undoubtedly be more than a Panther platform set-up.

Fat Man Fabrication, Heidts, and a number of other street rod oriented establishments offer Mustang II IFS kits that are commonplace in the street rod world. Some are even bolt-in applications. You might consider investigating something like that, though the general cost for such a kit would undoubtedly be more than a Panther platform set-up.
Unfortunately the mustang 2 stuff is a 1974 design, the Panther is so much better and newer, about 25- 30 years newer. That Crown vic stuff actually runs excellent, if you want, you can also run the independent rear in the JK with some frame work. I would narrow the frame and extend the body mounts back out to their stock location. Then just use the crown vic master and your brakes are matched. Their brakes are really stout, think of a 4.5K pound car going from 140 mph to zero quickly. That is the cop car version. The newer ones have vented rotors, parking brake in the hat of the rotor and the brake cables can be fabbed up to a jeep system. Tim

True on the Mustang II IFS being a '74 design, though they have played with it a bit over the stock configuration through the years. They now can be had with R&P instead of a box, and without strut rods, for example. The kits can get pretty high-end, and are still the number one choice of street rodders for an IFS, and have been for decades. I've seen then on everything from A's to Zephyrs, so I wouldn't hesitate one moment in considering them as a solution, if it's determined to be viable.

As far as the Panther platform arrangement goes, there's a flood of projects using that set-up as-of late. It reminds me of when folks were using Nova and Camaro clips, and grafting them onto their frames. That was considered an upgrade, too, but fell out of favor when the Mustang II setup started being produced by the aftermarket boys.

It'll be interesting to see what Blaine comes up with. I personally love the example he posted. Wish I knew where it was. It's got Washington plates, which is where I'm located. Would love to check out the setup on that thing!