Doggies and road trips

SonOfAnakin

Hi all. Planning my first big road trip and taking my two dogs with me. Planning to have the top off as much as possible and I’m worried about my dog’s ears with all the road and wind noise.

I’m looking at ear protection for them. Would love to hear your experiences with road tripping in your TJ with your dogs.

08CFA8D6-56FD-44E4-9FD6-0BBE76DEA964.jpeg

I've never heard that asked but it's a really good thought. Most of us suffer hearing loss after years driving convertibles and I'm sure the pups are vulnerable too. I have a bad feeling (or a good one I guess) you are in uncharted territory. I'd start looking at hunting with dogs, firearms are much worse without hearing protection and maybe there is some info in that arena?

Dogs ears are far more sensitive than ours- and the wind bothers mine occasionally- I’ve grown to enjoy ear buds topless when on the open rode with little traffic -

All that said I’ve seen many dogs that love their head out the window and my dog Roscoe loves to ride. Eats it up.

I’d ask a vet.

This crazy dog gets in my lap- my son had a flatbed- he would jump off at redlights - he will walk across a tailgate of a pick up at 55 mph- and fell off once-

Our Blue Tick Butterbean got out of the truck and went in Cabelas looking for my son. 😂

3EAD3B5F-EAB5-481F-A5E5-9DCD855EE79D.jpeg

I also ride a motorcycle and have earplugs for riding that are designed to block out wind and road noise but still be able to hear music, voices, and sirens. They work incredibly well for highway driving with the top off. I recommend them highly for Jeep owners.

I’m going to try some ear protection for dogs that I found on Amazon. Will report back after my trip later this summer.

My pup is strapped in and he can just barely get his head outside the tub, so I’m thinking he doesn’t get too much wind noise from that. If he really stretches he can get his head out far enough to get some good ear flapping going but he doesn’t do that too much. The longest ride we have been on together has just been over two hours. Strap them in outta the wind,if you don’t find anything they will wear.
When he was young he tried to jump out because he had to poop. Scared me so bad now he’s belted in at all times.

My pup is strapped in and he can just barely get his head outside the tub, so I’m thinking he doesn’t get too much wind noise from that.
Unless you've sat where he sits, don't assume it's not windy.
I know parents that have never sat in the back seat, and then stick their baby's carseat in without a thought.

Actually was thinking about this the other day… especially with the mud terrain tires I have currently, can’t be good for the pups ears (or mine)

My dog has been on several, multi hour trips in a soft top jeep.

She seems fine during each trip. She usually burrows/tucks up a bit in her bed right behind the driver seat, shoulder height.

20210812_184053-edit-20220621133126.jpg

20210812_185335-edit-20220621133106.jpg

Reactions: Blondie70