Doing some updates

The rubber has been cleaned before the window frame is reinstalled, hinges have rubber so hopefully no rust will form from metal to metal.

Tailgate hinges have been sandblasted, and primed. Led lights have been put into the dash cluster. The o2 NGK sensors, manifold, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, wires, and oil have been changed plus a new battery tray has been put on.

Next thing to be done is the fenders, they will finally be installed.

When the aluminum corner guards get put on I'm taking the Jeep to get painted. I'm thinking/ hoping it will be all done by Dec 11.

IMG_20201122_111655781.jpg

IMG_20201122_111748145.jpg

IMG_20201122_114732243.jpg

IMG_20201122_124532316.jpg

IMG_20201122_111729976_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
I've got two Smittybilt 4430 License Plate Brackets coming, a 23 inch light bar for the front bumper, a gas cap cover, new door pins and some Butyl mats to put under the carpet in the front, plus a replacement footman loop for the hood that broke.

The frame has been treated, and painted. Everything that needed to be replaced, or treated/painted etc has been done. I have to say the one thing that turned out better then I ever thought it would is the windshield frame. We used a ten dollar grinder from Harbor Freight to cut the bad sections out, then mounted the replacement piece (Ebay) using JB Weld, and a lot of clamps. Then after painting it the frame looks great.

The 2001 Jeep rotted out but certain areas weren't touched at all by rust, one spot was the brackets (under the two battery trays only one holds a battery I have no idea why the other one is there) that hold the front fenders. The 2004 the frame is solid as a rock but those brackets were so rusted they crumbled taking them off. So we blasted the 2001 brackets, then painted them, the rear license plate screw hole area was rusted so we had to cut a one inch hole, then put an aluminum patch over the hole. The whole back end will be covered with the aluminum corner guards. Those two spots were the only rust we needed to cut out.

IMG_20201110_131235397.jpg

IMG_20201111_084333098.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
The hardtop is painted, floors are primed hopefully by Sunday everything will be put back together, then I can get it painted. I still can't believe how little rust this Jeep had.

IMG_20201124_193606876.jpg

IMG_20201124_193553191.jpg

IMG_20201124_193548805.jpg

IMG_20201124_131653702.jpg

IMG_20201124_131720956.jpg

IMG_20201124_081011071.jpg

IMG_20201124_081021732.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ardenlonewolf
Painting the inside of the hardtop, I can't handle the white anymore going to paint it black. We are taking off as many things as we can, and when we get it to shop that is going to do the paint we will remove the tail lights and a few other things. The more we can do the better. I'm hoping I can take it on Monday??

The pocket flares I got suck big time, so I'm going a different route. Why make a fender flare that leaves a gap at the front? The gap sticks out like a sore thumb on both sides.

I just ordered the 7inch fender flares by Rugged Ridge, they look like stock fender flares.

IMG_20201202_092929567.jpg

IMG_20201202_131819183_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I'm taking the Jeep tomorrow to get an estimate for a paint job. When I decide who is going to paint it I'm going to take as much off the Jeep as I can, no sense having to pay them to do that stuff.

Unlike most people here I'm not planning on taking it on trails, my goal is just making sure the Jeep is rust free, and will run trouble free for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
Dear Diary (LOL)

December 14th the Jeep goes to the shop to get painted!!! I'm getting silver metallic base, with a clear coat.

Just added up what I'll have into the Jeep from buying it, right up to the final thing I'm doing which is paint. The total is just under $8,500.

For shits and giggles I've been looking at how much the 2004 Jeep Wrangler SE are going for bone stock with more miles than mine.

The SE's in New England with patched frames on marketplace are 8,000+. The ones with good frames are 10k+.

I know every inch of my Jeep now, I need to put a list of everything I've added, or replaced here since I did this so I can look back at what we did.

Everything I can think of that I have got or done to my 2004:

Dash Cover
Kenwood Radio, and Speakers
Hardtop Liftgate Seal
Front, and Rear Bumpers, and Side Bars
5 - 31 Tires
5 Rims, and Lug Nuts
2 Parking Lamps Assemblies, and Brake Dust Shields
Hella Headlight Kit
Door Hinge Kit, Entry Guards
Lower Door Hinges
Door Hinge Bushings
7” wide Fender Flares
All 4 Shocks
Exhaust System
LED Switches
1/4-20 Rivet Nuts
5/16 Rivet Nuts
Beamtech LED Bulbs
Sound Deadening Mats
Hardtop Weather Strip
Screws, and Bolts
Rubber Hood Stop Supports
Hood Footman Loop
Full Corner Guards
Smittybilt Plate Brackets
Fuel Door Cover
LED Dome Light Bulbs
Rubber Grommet Assortment
Nylon Retainer Clips
Both NTK O2 Sensors
Rivet Nut Tool Kit
LED Light Bar
Hood Scoop Vent Cover
LED Blue Gauge Cluster Kit
Spark Plugs
Plug Wires
Battery Hold Down Tray
Exhaust Manifold
Side Marker Light Assemblies
Oil Filter
Mobil One Oil
OBD2 Scan Tool
Led Tail Lights
Neutral/Backup Switch
Front, and Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms
Grille Inserts
Rough Country Steering Stabilizer
Radiator Hoses
Thermostat and Seal
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Windshield Frame Screws
Windshield Bottom Bar, Rust Fix
Hardtop Quick Thumb Screws
Front Fenders
Rear Glass Struts
Cans, and Cans of Paint
Powder Coated Fenders
Silver Base Paint, With Clear Coat

Last edited:
I'm really liking the new fender flares, they look a lot better than the ones I put on first.

Will be taking everything off before I drop it off to be painted. Need to install the new door hinges next.
IMG_20201206_112744492.jpg

IMG_20201206_112736182.jpg

I'm going to drop off the Jeep on Monday to have it painted. The new tailgate isn't installed so they can hang it up and paint it.

My brother-in-law thought it would be funny to put something in place of the tailgate for the ride to Portland. (Painted cardboard)

IMG_20201211_131827967.jpg

What brand were those pocket flares? I just ordered some similar and now you have me nervous...
Speedmotor that I ordered on Amazon. What a piece of crap, no matter how much we used a heat gun it wouldn't straighten out.

The ones I got from Rugged Ridge lined up perfectly.

Speedmotor that I ordered on Amazon. What a piece of crap, no matter how much we used a heat gun it wouldn't straighten out.

The ones I got from Rugged Ridge lined up perfectly.
i paid a some extra $$ for Bushwacker - so hoping the reviews are accurate and they do better.

Your TJ looks great, btw.

They are done painting my Jeep, he said it came out really nice. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon. When I get it inside the garage all the parts we took off to get it painted will go back on. They painted the tailgate I bought, we need to take all the parts from the old tailgate to put on the new one. I wanted to have them side by side so it doesn't get screwed up.

The hardest part will be getting all the lights to work, need to figure out a few issues. I could never be a doctor I don't have patients. The only things we still need to do is put up the sound proofing, and the headliner for the hardtop, plus the black jeep logos that haven't come yet.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Just about done, but then again is it ever really done? Waiting for the new spacers to arrive on Wednesday, still got to get the new LED tail lights wired. Then I need to do a shakedown ride to see if there is any unknown issues.

jeepster3 (2).jpg

jeepster.jpg

jeepster1.jpg

jeepster2.jpg

Reactions: en480c4 and UKTJ