Dollars and no sense...

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
Okay, folks. Looking for some quick input and opinions here. I have a chance to buy a new rollaway toolbox, as there are still some killer deals left over from the whole Black Friday/Cyber Monday thingy. The boxes I'm considering are top/bottom combos at either 41"W X 18"D, or 52"W X 20"D, all at about $650 after taxes. Now, me being something of an automotive slut, I have far more projects than I can ever finish in one lifetime, but I keep plugging away at 'em. Therefore, a nice new toolbox set-up would definitely get used, and often. However, that same money could be put toward any number of TJ needs, ie; tires, lift, e-locker, etc. I've been trying to rationalize the whole thing (going either direction), but being that the sales and limited supplies will be gone very soon, I thought it'd be fun to let you guys help spend someone else's money. So, which way would you go?

For me it’s about getting it done. I buy tools when I need them and only if I have to have them. I love organization, but try to find stuff like that used. I’d spend the cash on TJ upgrades.

I already have a super nice toolbox setup, so I'm a bit biased in saying I'd spend the money on TJ mods. But on the flip side, nice tool storage and organization is important in my garage. I'm a very, very clean person, so I like things organized and easy to find.

Maybe if you showed me pictures of said toolbox, then it might sway me.

!
I already have a super nice toolbox setup, so I'm a bit biased in saying I'd spend the money on TJ mods. But on the flip side, nice tool storage and organization is important in my garage. I'm a very, very clean person, so I like things organized and easy to find.

Maybe if you showed me pictures of said toolbox, then it might sway me.

I hope you're seeking some help for said sickness, @Chris! ;) I try to be organized, but my efforts get lost in the mess. :rolleyes: I currently have two older rollaways completely filled with tools, plus two other smaller boxes filled with tools that I am willing to loan out. And I have more to sort through, so...one big-ass box might cover it.
6936945604840_08063169.jpg

rust-resistant-powder-coat-textured-black-paint-finish-husky-tool-chest-combos-h52ch6tr9-64_1000.jpg

Reactions: JP13
For me it’s about getting it done. I buy tools when I need them and only if I have to have them. I love organization, but try to find stuff like that used. I’d spend the cash on TJ upgrades.
yeah, used brand names are great buys. Nothing wrong with 30 year old Snap On Tools. But keep it Brand Name. Nothing more frustrating than skinned knuckles when a cheap socket slips.

When I die, the first guy at the garage sale wins the lottery.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch

I have a full set of Indestro tools, plus the rollaway that I bought off a retired mechanic about 15 years ago, so yeah, used tools are great! And I only buy American made (with the exception of these toolboxes...) whenever possible. I didn't intend on having 45 Craftsman screwdrivers, or 60 files, or four complete sets of sockets, but I do. What I'd like to do is put together a nice set of tools for some young kid who's getting into cars (or wheeling) and set him up. Unfortunately, most of the youth in my area seems to be into ricers, and my metric tool supply is limited. I also want to be sure someone is actually going to use and appreciate the tools, and not just turn around and sell 'em for other forms of "recreation" that I do not support...

Reactions: JMT
I have a full set of Indestro tools, plus the rollaway that I bought off a retired mechanic about 15 years ago, so yeah, used tools are great! And I only buy American made (with the exception of these toolboxes...) whenever possible. I didn't intend on having 45 Craftsman screwdrivers, or 60 files, or four complete sets of sockets, but I do. What I'd like to do is put together a nice set of tools for some young kid who's getting into cars (or wheeling) and set him up. Unfortunately, most of the youth in my area seems to be into ricers, and my metric tool supply is limited. I also want to be sure someone is actually going to use and appreciate the tools, and not just turn around and sell 'em for other forms of "recreation" that I do not support...
I've got tools and boxes from the 1970s.... But none of the things I worked on back then still exist. Get the tools and boxes which work for you. Don't go cheap, they'll become heirlooms for your kids.
I received a lot of my tools from my father and grandfather. It was wonderful getting those tools and learning to use them. Still enjoy getting tools. My dad buys me tools almost every year, usually for woodworking, which is another hobby of mine. Immensely enjoy building and fixing things and working on the TJ. Also love passing on those skills to my kids.

PS. It would be nice to have one of those big tool chests pictured above! I’ve looked at them for years but always pass by. Of course, I’m feeding seven mouths, so don’t base your decision on my thinking! I’m one of those “Bear Necessities” guys, and that goes for my Jeep, very few creature comforts, function over form every day for me baby!

Reactions: Squatch
PS. It would be nice to have one of those big tool chests pictured above! I’ve looked at them for years but always pass by. Of course, I’m feeding seven mouths, so don’t base your decision on my thinking!

Most of my family duties are past the feeding stage, so I can finally actually consider one of the boxes pictured. I still feel guilty, though, as I am the only one in the family with mechanical interests (even my two sons aren't into it). And of course, Christmas is just around the corner. I could spend the $$$ on someone other than myself...

How young do I have to be for you to set me up in tools??

I've considered many big roll around boxes but for me I want to be able to grab a box, throw it in the Jeep and go do something so none of my toolboxes weigh over 100#. Each tool box is dedicated to a specific... task? I have a box with the Weller solder gun, crimp on ends, jewellers tools etc. A box with heavy tools including a limited 3/4" Proto set plus the big, 1" plus combo wrenches. A few boxes of screws, bolt, fasteners etc. The big thing is, whatever the job, I grab a few boxes and go.

For work I have a trailer with all the tools on board. A bucket of cement finishing tools. A box of gasket material. A box of silicone, caulking stuff. Every power tool I buy, I buy with the box, Skil Saw, Recip Saw, Grinder.... It s all there every day but if I need to go replace a gasket.... I grab 1 box.

To go from work, ladders on the roof, trailer hooked up, doors.... To play, drop the trailer, remove the ladders, trade hard doors for tubular doors, 5 minutes. Get back Monday, 7:55am..... ready for work at 8:00.

Tool box choice and tools needs you to think about yer needs. Tools are a means to the end. Not the end. JMT nailed it.

Reactions: Head Lice
@billiebob, my projects tend to be at home. My job doesn't require me to supply my own tools. And I keep a small tool box in each vehicle I drive. Been buying tools for roughly 40 years. My "collection" of tools was unintentional. It just happened. So I rarely buy tools anymore, but the problem is even good quality used tools have no real monetary value when you can buy new Craftsman hand tools so cheap. And for the average backyard hobbyist, the Kobalt tools are a bargain. So until I find some young kid with a need for 'em, my tools are just "there". I'm never without what I need, for the most part, except storage! ;) Anyways, I appreciate the approach you and @JMT have, but it just hasn't been that way for me. So, I'd gather you support the idea of spending the $$$ on the TJ, instead?

!

I hope you're seeking some help for said sickness, @Chris! ;) I try to be organized, but my efforts get lost in the mess. :rolleyes: I currently have two older rollaways completely filled with tools, plus two other smaller boxes filled with tools that I am willing to loan out. And I have more to sort through, so...one big-ass box might cover it.
View attachment 26171
View attachment 26172

That’s a nice one, looks almost identical to mine but mine is a Milwaukee brand and it’s red. That’s tempting...

That’s a nice one, looks almost identical to mine but mine is a Milwaukee brand and it’s red. That’s tempting...

Which one? The Kobalt is the smaller of the two, but it looks to be of better quality, if you can trust the reviews. The Milwaukee is definitely nice, but just a little more money...

Reactions: lowranger