*DONT BUY A* Hi-Lift jack questions answered

If you mean roll-starting an automatic, yes it can be done.

Yea. I’m a none believer. Please educate me. Roll starting a automatic in N then put it in D? It’s a good way to fuck up your transmission. I don’t think it will start your Jeep
Do Jeep’s have a rear pump driven by the drive shaft ?

Yea. I’m a none believer. Please educate me. Roll starting a automatic in N then put it in D? It’s a good way to fuck up your transmission. I don’t think it will start your Jeep
Do Jeep’s have a rear pump driven by the drive shaft ?
Believe whatever you want, I've explained it as well as I'm going to. It's a simple thing to do for those who aren't non-believers. I've done it and so has Lowranger in post #82 above.

Last edited:
Dang I'm going down this rabbit hole. I had to talk to one of the engineers here that's an old transmission guy. He said that not all Autos can, but they need a rear pump. He said he's never done it, but that's his understanding.

I know very little about Autos, but I'd heard this so many times that it's like hearing about some conspiracy that turned out to be true or whatever the proper analogy would be.

Believe whatever you want, I've explained it as well as I'm going to. It's a simple thing to do for those who aren't non-believers. I've done it and so has Lowranger in post #82 above.

So your exclusively a Jeep guru. Sounds like Jeep’s can be roll started cause of the rear pump.
I didn’t see where you explain anything. Just saw you state that you can roll start an automatic.

So your exclusively a Jeep guru. Sounds like Jeep’s can be roll started cause of the rear pump.
I didn’t see where you explain anything. Just saw you state that you can roll start an automatic.
This is a Wrangler TJ forum, I confine my comments to what is appropriate for them. Not all automatics can be roll started but even my '57 Chevy with its 2-speed Powerglide automatic transmission was one that was easily roll-started. You just have to make sure the ignition is on before doing it.

This is a Wrangler TJ forum, I confine my comments to what is appropriate for them. Not all automatics can be roll started but even my '57 Chevy with its 2-speed Powerglide automatic transmission was one that was easily roll-started. You just have to make sure the ignition is on before doing it.

My understanding is that generally older style automatics had a certain design of torque converter not seen these days that allowed them to be able to be roll started. Makes sense a '57 Chevy would be able to do it, but a '17 Chevy? Highly unlikely.

Looking at a diagram on the 42RLE, I would guess these wouldn't be capable (if the rear pump was indeed the culprit). Again to be clear I know very little about Autos, but somehow you do need a way to connect the engine to the drive train to spin the engine, which is done hydraulically in an auto isn't it? I'd guess many newer Autos may even have some safety stuff to prevent this from occurring, but no idea how or why.

Anyway I do find this informative.

A powerglide in particular is a tranny that could be roll started due to its forward and rear pumps. I am not aware of any modern (last 40 years) tranny that can be roll started. The only way I could see it possible is if your hydraulic system and torque converter were to somehow stay pressurized which could engage the bands and clutches which would allow the engine to turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: BugoutJeep
And I have an auto. Just drove 45 mph shut it off, in neutral shift to drive and nothing
Help me out @lowranger what else ?
I'm not sure what vehicle it was Thunderhead, but it was an automatic I know for sure and it was in the late 70s when it happened. Turn the key on, but the transmission in to gear and started pushing it.....got it up to a pretty good speed, may 35, 40 or so and it started. That's all I know, couldn't tell you what kind of car or transmission, but it started and off he went. Wish I could be more help.

Reactions: Thunderhead
I've carried and used a hi-lift since I started wheeling. Like all tools that can kill or maim you though it demands some respect and even fear. Every time I set it up I take time to double check that the lift will be stable. Take time to block the tires, if it's for a tire change run a strap under the axle and to the frame so it doesn't droop. That saves you lifting to the top of the jack.

It's a versatile tool, you can lift, you can crush, you can expand, you can pull, the handle can be used to sleeve a tie rod, or be used as a cheater for a ratchet and that's just the basics. It's limited largely by your imagination. I used it in my shop to swap tires on my rims to brake the beads.

But again, be afraid, be very afraid it will try to kill you. A winch can kill you, a recovery strap can kill you, a lot of things we use and do can kill you if you arn't careful.

As to a safer design? Arb just released one if you have a spare grand.

Oh and I do have an ax, as well as a M18 Sawzall. I've used em both. I no longer bring a chainsaw though as between the ax, the Sawzall, a winch and a couple of snatch blocks I can clear just about anything.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

OK, I'll bite, who carries an axe?

;)
DSC_0209.jpeg

Pick me..

Tim since you couldn't start the engine due to a bad starter motor, why did you roll 4 miles down the hill without using that downhill momentum to start the engine? Pop the clutch or shift to Drive with the ignition switch on will start the engine when the starter motor isn't working
It was an auto, and if there is no rear pump, it wont start in drive. There was a main road 4.5 miles up, came up short, but that main was way farther from pavement than I was expecting...but Keroke was good at the bar that night at the Cowboy bar though. 41°15'8.33"N 114° 0'29.16"W Google earth it...if you want. It was a long day. Tim