Don't Discount Importing Parts to the UK

So, what was on the shopping list

So, what was on the shopping list?
2 of Crown Automotive 55155624AC Euro / Australian Tri-Color Tail Light for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ
$85.98

1 of Crown Automotive Parking Lamp for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited (Passenger Side)
$10.99

1 of Crown Automotive Parking Lamp for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited (Driver Side)
$10.99

1 of Crown Automotive 55155460AC Right Side Marker Lamp for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ and Unlimited (Export)
$10.99

1 of Crown Automotive 55155461AC Left Side Marker Lamp for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ and Unlimited (Export)
$10.99

1 of Quadratec CB Style AM/FM Radio Antenna with Quick Disconnect for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited
$81.99

1 of Quadratec Hitch Starter Kit with 2" Ball
$19.99

1 of Quadratec Softbond 5-Layer Car Cover for 76-06 Jeep CJ-7, Wrangler YJ & TJ
$99.99

1 of MasterTop SkyMaster® Frameless Fastback Soft Top for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Without Doors,MasterTwill)
$799.99

1 of Quadratec QR3 Heavy Duty Side Steps for 87-06 Jeep Wrangler YJ, TJ (Gloss Black)
$119.99

1 of Quadratec QR3 Dual-Tube Front Bumper for 76-06 Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ & Unlimited (Gloss Black)
$179.99

1 of Quadratec QR3 Dual-Tube Rear Bumper with Hitch for 87-06 Jeep Wrangler YJ, TJ & Unlimited (Gloss Black)
$229.99

1617287301492.png

Reactions: UKTJ
You do know you can’t legally tow on that combination, don’t you?

Towbars have to have Euro certification for the model type and they are like rocking horse doodoo for the TJ. If you’re looking to tow I can suggest some parts and a very helpful chap in Sheffield who rescued me after two German companies declined to bother with the order 'because Brexit'. (The part eventually came from Spain. Go figure.)

(Fine though if you just want a bicycle rack or similar.)

You do know you can’t legally tow on that combination, don’t you?

Towbars have to have Euro certification for the model type and they are like rocking horse doodoo for the TJ. If you’re looking to tow I can suggest some parts and a very helpful chap in Sheffield who rescued me after two German companies declined to bother with the order 'because Brexit'. (The part eventually came from Spain. Go figure.)

(Fine though if you just want a bicycle rack or similar.)
Yup fully aware of that thanks..use the Volvo XC70 for towing duties, its poo trailers across fields etc for the TJ..TBH just quite like the style of bumper, the hitch was just for 3rd world emergencies when euro compliance will no longer be an issue!-:)

2 of Crown Automotive 55155624AC Euro / Australian Tri-Color Tail Light for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ
$85.98

1 of Crown Automotive Parking Lamp for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited (Passenger Side)
$10.99

1 of Crown Automotive Parking Lamp for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited (Driver Side)
$10.99

1 of Crown Automotive 55155460AC Right Side Marker Lamp for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ and Unlimited (Export)
$10.99

1 of Crown Automotive 55155461AC Left Side Marker Lamp for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ and Unlimited (Export)
$10.99

1 of Quadratec CB Style AM/FM Radio Antenna with Quick Disconnect for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited
$81.99

$19.99

$99.99

1 of MasterTop SkyMaster® Frameless Fastback Soft Top for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Without Doors,MasterTwill)
$799.99

1 of Quadratec QR3 Heavy Duty Side Steps for 87-06 Jeep Wrangler YJ, TJ (Gloss Black)
$119.99

1 of Quadratec QR3 Dual-Tube Front Bumper for 76-06 Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ & Unlimited (Gloss Black)
$179.99

1 of Quadratec QR3 Dual-Tube Rear Bumper with Hitch for 87-06 Jeep Wrangler YJ, TJ & Unlimited (Gloss Black)
$229.99

View attachment 239532
Nice long list!
Do you need some of the items because it is a Japanese spec vehicle?

$85.98

$10.99

$10.99

$10.99

$10.99

$81.99

$19.99

$99.99

$799.99

$119.99

$179.99

$229.99

View attachment 239532
Hi,

Im looking to order a Bestop replace a top for my TJ from quadratec. Just out of interest- do you, or does anyone know roughly how the taxes and duty costs work out on delivery? Trying to weigh up ordering from Jeepey.com vs ordering from the US price wise.
Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Im looking to order a Bestop replace a top for my TJ from quadratec. Just out of interest- do you, or does anyone know roughly how the taxes and duty costs work out on delivery? Trying to weigh up ordering from Jeepey.com vs ordering from the US price wise.
Thanks in advance!
My understanding is that you ay duty on the cost of the item at 4% and then VAT on the cost of the part, shipping and duty at 20%. For example, if you wanted to buy an item from the US for $1000 and shipping of $100 and at the time $1.00 = £0.70, it would cost c.£28 in duty and then c.£160 in VAT, so a total of c.£958. This is all based on my reading on the subject, I have yet to receive my order to see if this works out to be correct.

Having some issues with Quadratec - they asked for 'more information as we could not verify your address with your credit card company'. I rang them a week ago and they said all they needed was the customer service number for my card company but they sent the same email again today.

Bottom line I suspect is they are worried about chargeback fraud; I think they rang my card company to confirm the address and were (rightly) told to buzz off... so I had to send them a recent credit card statement, proof of ID and a scan of the card. Everything needed, in fact, for identity theft - I’m sure that’s not the intention but the process was a bit crass. I think I scared the customer service chap as I was a bit grumpy with him.

I hope it is all sorted now but I hoped that a week ago...

Having some issues with Quadratec - they asked for 'more information as we could not verify your address with your credit card company'. I rang them a week ago and they said all they needed was the customer service number for my card company but they sent the same email again today.

Bottom line I suspect is they are worried about chargeback fraud; I think they rang my card company to confirm the address and were (rightly) told to buzz off... so I had to send them a recent credit card statement, proof of ID and a scan of the card. Everything needed, in fact, for identity theft - I’m sure that’s not the intention but the process was a bit crass. I think I scared the customer service chap as I was a bit grumpy with him.

My experience is that Hailey who posts here from @Quadratec has been really helpful with any issues...

Thanks, that’s useful. Let’s see if it is sorted shortly. No change to the order status in my account at the moment.

Well coincidentally I had a similar set of issues..I did email them back, but after a couple of days not hearing back I reached out to Hayley who 'unplugged' the issue AND I got what looks like a 5% ish discount being a Forum member!!!!!

So big thanks to Hayley..just a bit frustrating that their 'standard' customer service doesn't respond as fast etc

So eventually I will get my goody pack of bits..my Jeep should land at Newcastle from Japan on the 12th April can then start the import/tax/register process!

Interesting, thanks. My order status seems to have changed to 'backordered by vendor' without a ship date - but I did get an email saying 'thanks for your order' so I hope things are happening. I’ll see what happens in the next 24hrs

In my introduction post I mentioned the cost of parts in the UK versus the US. Chris made a comment about having parts shipped from the US if they are not available in the UK. I have actually had a very quick look at this and apart from making othewise unavailable parts an option it may well make financial sense - which is pretty crazy.

As an example I went to the first US retailer that popped up on Google, which happened to be Morris 4x4. I have absolutely no idea if they are a good outfit or not. But they do as standard price parts in pounds if you indicate you are a UK resident and quote for delivery including shipping and duty. The duty is actually a lot worse than the shipping. Even so, as an exampe, a Heavy Duty Spartacus Tyre Carrier Kit is quoted at about £580 (incl. delivery) on Jeepey's website. Importing it via Morris 4x4 gives a price of just over £460 (incl. delivery and duty). Bonkers!

Totally endorse Morris 4x4. Bought lots stuff from them

In my introduction post I mentioned the cost of parts in the UK versus the US. Chris made a comment about having parts shipped from the US if they are not available in the UK. I have actually had a very quick look at this and apart from making othewise unavailable parts an option it may well make financial sense - which is pretty crazy.

As an example I went to the first US retailer that popped up on Google, which happened to be Morris 4x4. I have absolutely no idea if they are a good outfit or not. But they do as standard price parts in pounds if you indicate you are a UK resident and quote for delivery including shipping and duty. The duty is actually a lot worse than the shipping. Even so, as an exampe, a Heavy Duty Spartacus Tyre Carrier Kit is quoted at about £580 (incl. delivery) on Jeepey's website. Importing it via Morris 4x4 gives a price of just over £460 (incl. delivery and duty). Bonkers!

Totally endorse Morris 4x4 . bought over £2K worth of bits from them. Now partnering with FEDEX to calculate freight, customs and UK VAT upfront in one payment ...............works very well.

This is not Jeep-related, but this is sort of the flip side of what is being discussed here. It is much, much cheaper (and quicker!) for me here in the US to order parts for my classic Austin Mini from suppliers in the UK than it is to do so from one of the US-based Mini parts suppliers. Prices in the UK are 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a US supplier — including shipping costs. Plus there is no VAT to pay on the items for export shipments. And I can place an order online Friday evening and just about be assured to receive the complete parts shipment via DHL by the following Wednesday - just 4 or 5 days later. Ordering the same stuff from one of the US Mini suppliers and I'd pay 2x to 3x more (plus shipping costs!) and have a good 2 week wait for them to arrive. For example, several years ago I needed a windshield. It was about £40 (about US$55 at the time) plus shipping. But the US price was about $210 nearly 4 times more (and that didn't include shipping). Even with shipping the price from the UK came out to about $90. The only catch was because it was glass, they could not guarantee no breakage during shipping. At that low price I decided to order 2 windshields in case one cracked. Total was about $120 for two of them sharing the same box to get here. Both arrived fine and I sold the 2nd windshield. It was a huge savings compared to had I bought a windshield in the US.

One nice thing is that most of these DHL shipments from the UK seem to arrive without any customs duty due. Not sure why, but no complaints from me.