Door Handle Lock Problem

bcbaric

My passenger door, after I use the inside mechanism to lock and then unlock, makes it so that I can't open the door. This is using either the inside or outside latch.

What is kind of odd, if I use the key and unlock it with a little bit of force, both inside and outside door handles then work fine. It's kind of like the interior unlock mechanism is not pushing it all the way unlocked.

I pulled the door panel off and tried to see if it can be adjusted but I don't see how or what to adjust.

Any advice?

Hum. I’m interested in this answer also. I know every time my Jeep is muddy my wife 100% will roll down the windows and they squeak super loud. Locking the passenger side door from the inside then I can’t unlock it from the inside. I have to use the key

Hum. I’m interested in this answer also. I know every time my Jeep is muddy my wife 100% will roll down the windows and they squeak super loud. Locking the passenger side door from the inside then I can’t unlock it from the inside. I have to use the key

common old age problem, mine too

Yep, my drivers side does it too. A gift from AMC! Is the real fix to replace the linkage and/or locking mechanism inside the door? I’ll try to lubricate, but it feels like a part is worn or broken. Worth a try though.

I had similar issues with mine...was actually locked out. Took latches completely out cleaned old sticky/dirty grease residue thoroughly and used dry-lube to correct.

The trick is if you can get inside and pull and release the inside door handle a few times (let it snap back) that generally corrects the latch so that you can unlock from either inside or with the key and open door.

Reactions: Thunderhead
15 years of dust/ mud working it’s way in the door clogs up the grease put on the mechanism at the factory. Thurough cleaning and lubing is the correct long term repair. PB Blaster is a good temp fix. You may get 6 to 12 months without issues. I spray in the key slot every so often and it keeps things working.

I’m going to date myself here, (yes Im getting old).

I worked in a GM dealership from the mid 70’s to mid 80’s. This was during the rustproofing era. When door latches would get sprayed with rustproofing they would gum up and stick especially in cold weather.

We cleaned the latches, without disassembly, using what used to be called “heat riser solvent”
(remember heat risers? No?)
This would dissolve the gunk, lubricate the latch with, I believe, graphite, and really didn’t seem to attract dirt. This product was also excellent for cleaning and lubing sticky lock cylinders.

The product was excellent and was repackaged and sold by all the big three.

This link shows the GM product. But the cost!!!
I used to get it from the parts Dept so I can’t say what the cost was 30 years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BK7MLKE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I noticed the heat riser description is now in small print but the reviews say it’s the same product.

Edit: FYI. Summit has the same part number for $10.99

Last edited:
I think I fixed this... took it apart and cleaned it, didn’t help. I could see that the arm from the internal lock rocker wasn’t pushing the white lock mechanism up all the way. So I slightly bent the arm down, so that the pivot moved and pushed the rod up higher, so far so go. Will see if it lasts.

Reactions: Thunderhead