Door panel crack repair

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
These seem to be pretty common on TJ's, so I taped off the crack , filled with black RTV silicone and tooled it semi smooth and pulled the tape .

Worked pretty good.

1536449236091.png

Clean with alcohol.

Use blue tape to mask off the crack

Right Stuff brand silicone or any automotive rtv is good, they aren't very shiny

Apply deep into crack , wipe off excess, a credit card or plastic knife is fine

Dab with finger to create texture

Pull the tape and don't fuss with it if possible ..if you have to , apply soapy water to your finger or Windex , so it doesn't smear it .

Reactions: Tob and bobthetj03
That’s very damn impressive! I can hardly tell there was a crack there to begin with!

I have the crack in the same spot like so many others. This is a damn nice fix @AndyG ! Thanks so much for sharing. I just ordered the black rtv silicone on Amazon along with some other goodies :)

@Chris this is worthy of moving to the how to section!

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG
Granite shops and siding dealers sell different colors of silicone . The German brand Otto is awesome.

Nicely done! I always thought the inside door panels cracked as a result of people slamming the doors too hard? As we all know Jeep Wrangler doors shut very easily unlike bigger, heavier doors on other vehicles. No cracks yet on my 2001 Sport!

Reactions: AndyG
Oh damn! That looks good! I have that same damn crack on my driver's side door, but just figured it was something to live with and get used to. I guess I may actually take a stab at fixing it now, although I have the khaki style interior.

Oh damn! That looks good! I have that same damn crack on my driver's side door, but just figured it was something to live with and get used to. I guess I may actually take a stab at fixing it now, although I have the khaki style interior.

Get some grayish colored silicone and it should be close enough!

Reactions: Equilibrium31
These seem to be pretty common on TJ's, so I taped off the crack , filled with black RTV silicone and tooled it semi smooth and pulled the tape .

Worked pretty good.

View attachment 54610
Looks good! On mine I super glued it and as my panels are also black I took the fuzzy part of a roll of Velcro and put it on the top of the panel. Fits perfect as its the same dimensions as the panel.

Looks good! On mine I super glued it and as my panels are also black I took the fuzzy part of a roll of Velcro and put it on the top of the panel. Fits perfect as its the same dimensions as the panel.
Show us a pic , trying to visualize . Thanks sir.

In all cases...make sure you guys are drilling a small hole at the end of the existing crack before you fill it. The hole will prevent the crack from spreading further.
Nothing worse than a crack that spreads.
p.s. I drilled a small hole at the end of the existing crack on the wife, but the crack still spread after two kids.:unsure:
p.p.s. #MeTwoToo

Last edited: