Door panel crack repair

Andy, 4 years later do you still have the Jeep and how did the repair hold up? When you taped it off did you run the tape right up to edges the crack or did you leave a bit of reveal?

Reactions: SSTJ
Andy, 4 years later do you still have the Jeep and how did the repair hold up? When you taped it off did you run the tape right up to edges the crack or did you leave a bit of reveal?

Shoot he has had 5 different jeeps since then 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I removed the door panel and then put Blue Painters tape over the crack on the visible door side and then used Fiberglass mesh Drywall tape with JB Weld Epoxy on the inside of the door panel and a putty knife to work in gently into the crack without disturbing the blue tape. Worked well and has held up just fine for over 4 years of use. Regarding Khaki colored interiors I haven't tried it but I would use a clear epoxy and mix it with Khaki colored acrylic paint that matches the OEM color. You will have to play around with the paint to get to closest match possible...

IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

I have the same crack in my door. Seems some of you are using a flexible patching compound (RTV), while others are using a rigid patch (Superglue, JB Weld). Does anyone know what causes this crack and which type of patch will last longer?

Reactions: SSTJ