Doors Off?

CBJason

TJ Enthusiast
So, am thinking of also taking the doors off for summer driving around, but have two concerns: storage and side mirrors.

What is the best way to store the doors? I can mount some hooks in the garage but do not want to damage any seals or anything. I'd estimate the doors weigh about 50lbs...

I don't think side mirrors are required in Colorado, but I like being able to see behind me. Was thinking about these: http://www.extremeterrain.com/omix-ada-rugged-ridge-lh-jk-tj-1102511.html

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

I have been hanging my son's doors off of the vinyl coated hooks in the garage for years without issue. Quick and easy and the are off the floor. If I didn't make it easy for him they would wind up on the floor getting damaged.

Yep!

I bought some rubberized hangers from Home Depot but totally botched the install. I should have ran them through boards and then through the sheet rock and into the studs.

Now I just have some ugly holes in my wall.
Should have bought that stud finder while in Home Depot!:confused:

Heres my door storage solution. A set of TJ hinges bolted to a stud beside the parking spot.

DSC_0129 (1).jpg

Mirrors, we have a law... can't drive doorless if the vehicle was built with doors. Not real bad, I like tubular doors anyway AND with mirrors mounted to the tubular doors..... I can do the change in under a minute.

DSC_0119.jpg

The mirrors are cheap semi truck add on convex mirrors. The convex part is awful so I broke it and had a glass shop put in flat glass. WAY more better.

So, am thinking of also taking the doors off for summer driving around, but have two concerns: storage and side mirrors. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Ok, so in reference to your mirror solution: I have been doorless for 4 months straight now, and I actually have bought a few different mirror options any tried them out. (In FL you only need to have 1 rear facing mirror), my windshield mirror fell off from the constant sun and heat. I have tried many and ended up returning all the hinge mount mirrors and windshield frame mounted ones...and have found the best option.

The fact is with most doorless mirror mounting in the top hinge or windshield frame like the link you have, is you get vibration, you have to constantly adjust them (sometimes from wind or speed, or trail use), and they can look kind of weird.

I have found in my opinion the best thing to do is buy the "Mirror relocation brackets" so you can unmount the factory mirrors from the doors your no longer using, and relocate them directly on the windshield via mounting bracket. I bought these from Amazon and they are pretty legit.

Rugged Ridge 11025.02 Black Mirror Relocation Bracket. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQ95IC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

By doing this, you get zero vibration and you only have to adjust the mirror if by chance your offroading and branches hit your mirror, but not from any other reason really, and you maintain the look of the factory mirrors on there.

Then when your ready to put the doors back on at the end of the summer, you just switch the mirrors back to the doors, and can leave the bracket mounted on there for next season.

IMG_4715.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
That mount works well but it moves the mirror forward far enough so it can't be seen easily if the upper soft windows are installed. The upper door's vinyl window frame is what blocks the mirror. It works great when the upper soft window has been removed or the doors are off. :)

That mount works well but it moves the mirror forward far enough so it can't be seen easily if the upper soft windows are installed. The upper door's vinyl window frame is what blocks the mirror. It works great when the upper soft window has been removed or the doors are off. :)

That's the problem with the windshield mounted mirrors I run. I can't see the passenger's mirror cuz of the soft door but the driver's side is fine so I just run that one.

EJD, My mirrors don't vibrate and move at all. In fact i bang my head on them a lot of times and they stay put.

That's the problem with the windshield mounted mirrors I run. I can't see the passenger's mirror cuz of the soft door but the driver's side is fine so I just run that one.

EJD, My mirrors don't vibrate and move at all. In fact i bang my head on them a lot of times and they stay put.

I hear that.
I wasn't saying "all" mirrors vibrate but i've bought several and they all seemed to have some weird quirks. Vibrating, readjusting constantly, weird looks, not compatible with all door options.

I tried a bunch and in the end just went with the Relocation Brackets, and reused the existing mirrors from the doors. For my application, it is perfect.

I also love that there are this many mirror options out there...lol.

I like repurposing the existing mirrors, and it's not very expensive - thanks for the link! :)
Exactly, cheaper that buying different mirrors, and you get to recycle existing parts that give it that same look your used to.