Doors Off?

... So, am thinking of also taking the doors off for summer driving around, but have two concerns: storage and side mirrors ...
Old thread but a good question. I put my half doors on yesterday so I thought I'd post my storage solution. I made a wood cart that I can roll around for inside or outside storage. I can roll it right up to my Jeep which makes things a bit easier. It's also at a good level for lifting (vs. high on a wall for example).

Basically two 2x4's, a 2x6, some plywood, 2 nylon straps and 4 casters. I also throw a moving blanket over it for a bit of protection.

Jeep - Door Dolly 2.JPG
Jeep - Door Dolly 5.JPG
Jeep - Door Dolly 4.JPG

I just forced myself to put the top & doors back on since cooler temps are setting in and the wife and kid aren't too thrilled about the ventilation. ;) I'd like to permanently relocate the mirrors. I have a inexpensive set of temporary mirrors but I'd prefer to take the ones off the doors and just go with a permanent mirror setup for doors or door-less. Anyone done this and are happy with it?

I've seen the Smittybilt relocation brackets are too close to the hinge and vibrate. Take a look at these, they seem to have better support and shape.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNTYLKF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
I feel like the doors are too heavy to hang by either the top of the frame or the hinges (long term). I already have a small crack in the window frame. I chose to build a roll around cart, also.

cart.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Quick update / review of the U-box relocation brackets for '97-06 TJs (post #29 above).

The brackets themselves are very sturdy. To mount the bracket to the Jeep you have to re-use your factory screws from the pillar, so in my case they are red. It's minor, but I may pant it at some point. The kit comes with hardware to mount the mirror to the bracket.

As far as installation, it's very straightforward and doesn't take long. I spent more time adjusting the mirrors.
You do lose about 1/2 of the passenger mirror with the door on. This is partially because I'm fairly short (5'6"). A taller person is going to have the seat further back, and I'm betting you would have a better view of the passenger mirror. Driver side is fine. I'll have to give this a thorough road test to see if visibility is a deal breaker or not.

Looks-wise they are fine and the design doesn't scratch the hinges. Also, on the driver side the door doesn't hit the mirror with the factory strap. On the passenger side however, I had to tilt the mirror in so I could see it, and it does bump at full swing. If you are taller maybe you can adjust the mirror back one click, so it won't hit.

These are likely to be better than the pair of temporary mirrors I had, those just sat far too low to use with doors.

IMG_8199.jpg

IMG_8184.jpg

IMG_8187.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

IMG_8205.jpg