Do's and Don'ts of riding with the top down

Hey guys- is her South Carolina one that requires side mirrors or not? (most do not Shelly).
Florida requires a drivers side mirror (got a warning ticket for that last week). I asked a friend that with SCHP and he gave me this and said they read it as only requiring a rear view mirror so you'd likely not get a ticket.
"
Every motor vehicle which is so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear thereof from the driver's position shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of such vehicle."

When I rock out with the top off and the kids in the car I stay off the interstate and typically don't go over 55mpg.

LOL my TJ rarely drive interstate speeds. I rarely put my upper doors on but I'm just not real comfortable on the road with my lower doors off so my mirrors are on. I did see a set of aftermarket ones that my son in law offered to get me that bolt on the jeep, not the doors.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=381033031974

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
yes if you remove the top you must remove the doors.

And when you park... do not leave any food or chips out for the crows but nothing should fly out on its own when parked.
When entering the expressway??? say good bye to anything not glued down.
wtf you dont have to remove doors

yeah but Shelly was probably sincere in asking... I should have been a bit less flippant... mind you I realized someone would correct it. Gotta have a bit of fun.

I actually rarely remove the top but I drive doorless all summer. Love the air.. hate direct sun.

I"m sure @Shelly was. She'll get used to us though, I'm sure. I drive with the top down as much as I can. Lost a few things like gas receipts and miscellaneous pieces of paper. The only notable loss was a micro kite that was in the glove box. Wife opened the glove box up looking for her sun glasses and the kite blew out, never to be seen again. That was on the interstate at about 65 mph. Did hit the eject button on a two way radio that was sitting in the tray on top of the dash when the grandson and I were out tooling around the woods one day. Made a hard left hand turn (don't ask) and the radio shot off the dash and out the passenger side. It took us about five minutes to find it in the brush we were laughing so hard. Didn't seem to hurt the radio any.

There are good mirrors that will stay put, and some bad mirrors that will be loose and vibrate back out of position from what I read. Where I go I would want mirrors on so I could see those motorcycles and smaller 4 wheelers come up IF I ran doors off there like most do because I am not running a bunch of lift plus massive tires and have to be very careful where I put my wheels. This means I am swerving back and forth on the trail moving slow and the others moving fast come up fast- if they pass they die if i don't see them. With the dust, rapid weather change, 48-60 degree temps and my allergies I run doors on. It will boil down Shelley to where it is you want to drive and how careful you can be. If it is going to the mall- go door free!!!:D
You'll be fine if the child in the back stays asleep and has head down:D
Hope my kids like riding with the top down lol

I bought my TJ in September and last week was the first time I ever put the roof up. If you have a bimini roof yes a cap will stay on. Full roof off, likely not. I thought it would but a passing semi proved I was wrong. My change or sunglasses never blew out of console. Get a t-shirt that says "jeep hair, don't care" and leave the hat at home. LOL
what is a bimini top?

what is a bimini top?
I have your bimini top right here. ;)

3%20Bow%20Bimini%202009%20c(1).jpg

Reactions: Zhillslady
I have to admit that the first thing that came to mind when I read the question about doors being off when the top off, was the same as billiebob's. My wife would really rather not have the doors off, but I love doorless/topless.

Reactions: StG58
I have to admit that the first thing that came to mind when I read the question about doors being off when the top off, was the same as billiebob's. My wife would really rather not have the doors off, but I love doorless/topless.

Yup, the wife has already passed the word that she is not riding in the TJ with the doors off. Or the windshield down. Loves the top being off when the weather gets warm. The grand-kids absolutely love it though. I made the mistake of telling them that they were supposed to put their arms up in the air and yell Whoo-hoo! when we hit a bump or a whoop-de-doo in the road. The neighbors for miles around think I'm crazy now. We were tooling down a farm to market road last fall, doing about 25 - 30 mph. Youngest grandson was watching the world go by out the side of the Jeep and said "Papa, your Jeep is so fast!". It's been worth the price of admission just to expose the grand-kids to Jeep'n.

Yup, the wife has already passed the word that she is not riding in the TJ with the doors off. Or the windshield down. Loves the top being off when the weather gets warm. The grand-kids absolutely love it though. I made the mistake of telling them that they were supposed to put their arms up in the air and yell Whoo-hoo! when we hit a bump or a whoop-de-doo in the road. The neighbors for miles around think I'm crazy now. We were tooling down a farm to market road last fall, doing about 25 - 30 mph. Youngest grandson was watching the world go by out the side of the Jeep and said "Papa, your Jeep is so fast!". It's been worth the price of admission just to expose the grand-kids to Jeep'n.

We have 5 grand kids. My oldest grandson, is almost 15, is hoping that I let him use my Jeep when he gets his drivers license. He is 6'4" tall. If he grows any taller he won't fit.

Reactions: Ron505 and StG58
We have 5 grand kids. My oldest grandson, is almost 15, is hoping that I let him use my Jeep when he gets his drivers license. He is 6'4" tall. If he grows any taller he won't fit.
Wife already told oldest grand-son that's he's learning to drive a stick this summer. He's 11. She plans on showing him how it's done on a log landing somewhere when we are camping this summer and then turning him loose in my TJ. I'm budgeting for a new clutch and a transmission rebuild. At 6' 4" tall, your oldest grand-son can just put the top down and go for it...unlimited headroom. Kids and Jeeps go together like baseball and apple pie. They even get the opportunity to help fix what they break! Good learning experience all around.

Reactions: Ron505 and UPJOHN

She doesn't know what she is missing!
My wife is always yelling at me to take it off--The top and doors- get your mind out of the gutter!:p

Of course she is the 65 year old kid that wanted to do Alaska on a motorcycle and now wants to go back--on a motorcycle! :confused::confused::confused:

Reactions: Ron505