Double DIN Android Head Unit (InsaneAudio TJ1001) Chinese Knock-Off Review

Super interested in one of these, wanted to revive this thread to ask a question. I have a 2002, so I've got a different center bezel. Could I just swap mine for an 03-06 bezel, then install this radio? Would it be a straight swap or no?

Easier and cheaper to do a double din conversion like the one @Moab suggested. You can also use a single din kit and get the Joying 8.8" single din radio. Both are generally better options than that 1.5 din on the newer Jeeps. There are many threads about converting old style radios to new style radios if you search, that's generally why people don't answer when the question is asked. It's not an android specific conversion, just old to new Jeep radio. If you do go for the newer 1.5 din conversion Xtrons just released an Android 11 version of this radio that's pretty good and available on Amazon for about $250 and ebay for $270. For now it's actually better than the insane audio unit from the specs I've seen. This stuff changes all the time so who knows about next week?

Easier and cheaper to do a double din conversion like the one @Moab suggested. You can also use a single din kit and get the Joying 8.8" single din radio. Both are generally better options than that 1.5 din on the newer Jeeps. There are many threads about converting old style radios to new style radios if you search, that's generally why people don't answer when the question is asked. It's not an android specific conversion, just old to new Jeep radio. If you do go for the newer 1.5 din conversion Xtrons just released an Android 11 version of this radio that's pretty good and available on Amazon for about $250 and ebay for $270. For now it's actually better than the insane audio unit from the specs I've seen. This stuff changes all the time so who knows about next week?

Agreed. I would get one of those bezels. And search Amazon for newer double din android stereos with good ratings. Especially if sold or shipped by amazon. Or otherwise covered by their return policy. I got a great double din unit from china. But messed up the screen sizing in the controls. They offered an exchange. But returning it to china was obviously not possible. Stick with Amazon. I just returned an entire desktop pc - twice. With no questions asked.

I had an android double din in my last GMC Yukon. It was awesome. Backup camera compatible. Even came with one. But I upgraded to a better model. I can't list off all the options on it. But it was twice the stereo that the new Kenwood $1500 one was. And it cost just a bit over $200. Was totally customizable. You could even choose the boot up logo from a list of any car manufacturer. GMC, Jeep etc etc. So it looked like something the vehicle came with. It was sweet. I would never pay top dollar for name brand. Not nearly as many options. And not nearly as expensive. If it got ripped off its only a $200 replacement. Versus a $500 deductible on my car insurance if id bought a $1500 Kenwood.

Reactions: pagrey
Good advice. Ebay shipped from the states is also an option if you can find it.

I've never had good results returning anything from ebay. At least lately. Getting ahold of them is problematic. And you usually get stuck paying return shipping and having to stand in line at the post office. Whereas Amazon is a quick trip to a UPS store. And they'll usually even package it for you. And you never get stuck with shipping.

I am however a huge fan of cheap products from china via ebay. Things you don't mind losing on as the price is minimal. But more and more I just turn to Amazon. Its not really fair to independant retailers. But we just about our hase our entire life theu Amazon.

I was a Columbia sportswear fan for years. As they are one of very few companies that sell big n tall outdoor wear. But they recently started charging for shipping both ways. Like they stick you with return shipping. And the price of shipping the product to you to begin with. Even when you return a faulty product. Terrible oractice imho.

Reactions: pagrey